Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Quake 3 Mapping Competition

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Quake 3 Mapping Competition

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 01-07-2010 06:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thanks!- but i dont mean that.
(u can go around obstacles, but not glitches/bugs!)

i mean, that there were points given for sounds
to maps, that dont have any sound.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-07-2010 06:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

InsaneKid wrote:
thanks!- but i dont mean that.
(u can go around obstacles, but not glitches/bugs!)

i mean, that there were points given for sounds
to maps, that dont have any sound.

I see what you're saying. However, there wasn't a really specific piece-by-piece declaration of the point values for each sub-category. The judges were capable of weighting the areas of each category as they felt best. Sound obviously wasn't a huge factor considering sound wasn't in a lot of the maps.

Team Event -O- Horizon

NoGhost Map Making Competition 2 (June 2010)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 01-07-2010 07:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

But i think, the Judges cant judge something,
that isnt there.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-07-2010 08:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Instead of posting here about it why don't you ask the judges how things were weighed. I don't think any of them really read here.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-08-2010 03:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Instead of posting here about it why don't you ask the judges how things were weighed. I don't think any of them really read here.

I am a judge as is Hipshot. We are capable of answering these questions. :)

Kid: This means judges outweighed sound by everything else. Storm's map was very clean cut. Sounds obviously would have been a plus, but the rest of the map was good enough to reward the extra presentation points regardless of sounds according to me at least. There's no doubt his map deserved a top 3 position.

Team Event -O- Horizon

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-08-2010 03:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was wishing I put sounds in...then I might have been third on Sync's list...and if I ever meet Tig in RL I am gonna buy him a large beer :)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 01-08-2010 05:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Givin extra-points arbitrary, isnt fair!-

Some partipitians were lookin for sounds, askin for permissions
and even makin their own sounds!-
Therefore a map without sounds can not get points for that.

(Im not talkin about my map, im speakin for all partipitians.
But my map and others have everything, what a good map needs,
and they have clippin, they have sounds and they have a title when the map loads.)

Last edited by InsaneKid on 01-08-2010 05:29 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-08-2010 05:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

silence is a sound too.

you think The Exorcist or Blair Witch would be scarier if it had constant musical score and/or ambient sounds?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-08-2010 05:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
silence is a sound too.

Words of wisdom, yo.

Sound may add to a map, but it is definitely not a requirement. That's why the guide said "Sounds (if included)". If any of the maps without sound earned a perfect score for presentation, it's only because the graphics were just that good.

Sounds can even detract from presentation if they are bad enough. But I'm sure if your map included sounds and they fit the atmosphere nicely your presentation score earned a few extra points overall from them.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 01-08-2010 06:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

graphics # sounds!

Some maps have 5! points for "unobtrusive sounds",
although they do not have any sound.-
Maps with sounds have only 2 or 3 points instead.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-08-2010 07:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Could you post which maps/judges you are talking about specifically?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-08-2010 12:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm going to suggest that you post about these things in NoGhost's forums. We will try to the best of our ability to answer your questions and help solve some of the problems for the next competition.

Team Event -O- Horizon

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 01-10-2010 06:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

>>>
sound/misc/silence.wav :smirk:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-19-2010 12:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Good to know that I'm not completely illiterate/dyslexic. I'll wait for January 16th. Thanks.

http://download.maverickservers.com/qua ... apPack.zip

:)

Enjoy.

Thank you to everyone that participated. It was a great adventure for us, and after some tweaking we will have another competition of the sort.

Team Event -O- Horizon

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-09-2010 03:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

InsaneKid wrote:
>>>
sound/misc/silence.wav :smirk:

Even found silent.wav in a normal installation of PowerDVD, for anyone who's interested in getting that gorgeous sound, too! :smirk:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.