Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Ping: Guild Wars Nerds

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-05-2005 03:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mr.Magnetichead wrote:
No it just removes the need to grind mobs untill you get the weapons you want. You still have the bajillion quests to do.

It unbalances the game, making the early portions far too easy to be enjoyable. The whole point of the genre of the game is feeling the pride when you get up another level after putting in all the effort to get there. When you instantly raise to the highest level without doing anything for it (so to speak) it's not really rewarding or fun anymore.

IMPRESSIVE
IMPRESSIVE
PostPosted: 09-05-2005 03:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No it doesn't because you don't have your weapon skill levels high enough to utalise the full strength of the higher damage weapons.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 09-05-2005 04:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so when you fight in these rpg games, can you move the mouse to clobber people or aim at them to cast spells, or is it all menu-driven?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-05-2005 04:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

its real time so you click on your target

IMPRESSIVE
IMPRESSIVE
PostPosted: 09-05-2005 04:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What you want is Might & Magic Dark Messiah.

When it comes out atleast.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 09-05-2005 05:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hm... seems as if I'm gonna get this. WoW bores me a bit ...

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 09-05-2005 07:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wow yall guys are noobs: youre spreading your att points way too thin. Should only put your points in 3 categories, 4 at the most.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-05-2005 07:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yea, like mat. clit has his spread out wayy to thin :dork:

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-05-2005 07:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also:
Swords :olo:

IMPRESSIVE
IMPRESSIVE
PostPosted: 09-05-2005 07:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Also:

They're both max damage and cause fire damage.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-05-2005 07:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wait, is that opposed to "Ping: Guild Wars Non-nerds" ?

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-05-2005 08:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mr.Magnetichead wrote:
Mat Linnett wrote:
Also:

Um, that's not the point I was making.
Swords in general are pretty much accepted as being the worst of the 3 weapon types.
Also, by "max damage", do you mean plain old 15-22?
'cos if they haven't got a +15% damage mod (while hexed, health above 50%, enchanted, etc.), they ain't worth diddly.

Pretty though :)

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-05-2005 10:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i wish there were bows with the same purdy visual effects those swords got

IMPRESSIVE
IMPRESSIVE
PostPosted: 09-05-2005 11:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Mr.Magnetichead wrote:
Mat Linnett wrote:
Also:

Um, that's not the point I was making.
Swords in general are pretty much accepted as being the worst of the 3 weapon types.
Also, by "max damage", do you mean plain old 15-22?
'cos if they haven't got a +15% damage mod (while hexed, health above 50%, enchanted, etc.), they ain't worth diddly.

Pretty though :)

They were. They cost me a pretty penny.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 09-05-2005 05:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Picked up a gold vamp hammer 5:1 right before I took the screeny :)

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 09-05-2005 10:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, it'd actually be quite a lot for the money, even on Ebay. (for fissure armor)

It would literally cost right around $40 for the platinum to buy the materials for the gear. And then it cost roughly another $10 on Ebay for the platinum to buy all five pieces of the armor itself.

It's expensive stuff. I may do it one day, but I'm not in as much of a rush as I was before I found out the ridiculous real-life cost of it. :) Or I could get it "legit" and work for like 200+ hours in the game raising the money. Or not.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-05-2005 10:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heh, here's the main reason I don't have over a million xp yet:

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 09-05-2005 10:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You'll get bored before you ever max all those chars out. :p

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-05-2005 10:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Um, those characters ARE "maxed out"...
Beo's been "maxed out" since about 3 days after release...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-05-2005 11:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

theres just so much to do :icon14:

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 09-06-2005 03:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
and the PvP is unique

I agree. Pvp action is key.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-06-2005 07:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, and for all those who aren't aware, Grenth's Footprint and Sorrow's Forge, the new EAs, will be released tomorrow.

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 09-06-2005 07:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Your character can only lvl 20 times? Thats kinda lame.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 09-06-2005 07:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Deathshroud wrote:

yeah but OMG THE PVP OWNZORZ

fucking guild wars.. :olo:

It curdled, and then I couldn't drink it. So I mixed it with some water, and it was alright again.

I am now sick.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-06-2005 07:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not really.
It means that you can quickly reach the cap.
At least a third of the game's content is designed with top level in mind, so once you reach top level there's actually stuff for you to do!
Also, with PvP being a big feature in this game, people are on a level playing field. If you get beaten, it's down to bad skill choices or a lack of coordination; it is NOT down to the other team being higher level with better kit.
And there are still LOTS of things to aim for after reaching level 20.
As mentioned, Beo's been top level since almost the start, but I've still got loads of stuff to unlock with him if I want to. I can respec him to any other secondary class and proceed to get every normal and elite skill for that class if I so wish.
Levelling is for those with little skill, but lots of time to spare :P

In fact, I'd say that with all my characters, I have wanted to get to level 20 as quickly as possible, so as to get the monotonous level grinding out of the way and concentrate on the real meat of the game...

IMPRESSIVE
IMPRESSIVE
PostPosted: 09-06-2005 07:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Deathshroud wrote:

For now. You can still gather XP after level 20 but you don't physically level.

IMPRESSIVE
IMPRESSIVE
PostPosted: 09-06-2005 07:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
Deathshroud wrote:

Go back to ganking mages prick.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 09-06-2005 07:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mr.Magnetichead wrote:
SOAPboy wrote:
Deathshroud wrote:

Go back to ganking mages prick.

Um.. ok?

my main is a mage.......

It curdled, and then I couldn't drink it. So I mixed it with some water, and it was alright again.

I am now sick.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-06-2005 07:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, and SOAPboy's opinion is entirely worthless. He always feels the need to criticise the game whilst having very little experience of the final product.

Little does he realise that you don't have to slavishly dedicate your life to paying monthly for one game and one game only, tirelessly dismissing anything else that differs even slightly from this tired old formula.

Given time, he'll grow out of this, so I'm willing to forgive the occasional misinformed, immature outburst from our resident angst-meister.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 09-06-2005 07:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Oh, and SOAPboy's opinion is entirely worthless. He always feels the need to criticise the game whilst having very little experience of the final product.

Little does he realise that you don't have to slavishly dedicate your life to paying monthly for one game and one game only, tirelessly dismissing anything else that differs even slightly from this tired old formula.

Given time, he'll grow out of this, so I'm willing to forgive the occasional misinformed, immature outburst from our resident angst-meister.

So, since CLOSED beta, to release, i have no real experiance..

Gotcha..

When it goes to 20 bucks, ill pick it up to dick with it, but by no means is it a 'great' game..

I am now sick.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-06-2005 07:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hook, line and sinker.
Notice I said final product.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 09-06-2005 07:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Hook, line and sinker.
Notice I said final product.

Yep, since it changed SOOO much in 1 week from end of beta..

again, the gameplay hasent changed, its still gay instanced PvE with no real world interaction..

I am now sick.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-06-2005 07:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Um, no computer game offers real world interaction...
I think what you're trying to say, in your rather limited way, is that you can't run into other players whilst in an explorable area or mission.
Fine by me.
That's not all it's cracked up to be anyway.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 09-06-2005 07:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Um, no computer game offers real world interaction...
I think what you're trying to say, in your rather limited way, is that you can't run into other players whilst in an explorable area or mission.
Fine by me.
That's not all it's cracked up to be anyway.

Which is exactly why i play MMOs, so i can SEE and TALK TO other people OUTSIDE of fucking towns..

If i want to play with a handful of people and only them, ill play diablo or dungeon siege..

I am now sick.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-06-2005 07:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And as far as I can tell, this is your only true problem with the game. Not really a valid reason for dismissing it outright, is it?
Especially when it doesn't sell itself as an MMO in the first place.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.