Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Finally bit the bullet - new car audio system

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 01:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PhoeniX wrote:
Just get a HU with auxillary sockets on- it will sound so much better than the iTrip and cheaper :p

tr00 sp33k

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 01:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually, my Audiocontrol EQ has aux RCA type inputs. When charging the ipod through the lighter, before I got the Alpine interface, I had terrible ground loop noise until I unplugged the charger. The Alpine ipod adapter took care of that and the noise is gone.

So make sure whatever charger you get won't introduce noise into your stereo.

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 01:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
Alpine's always had mostly superior D/A's, but their interfaces have become cumbersome. imo, a waste of money, that HU, but different strokes blah blah.

The only problem i have with my interface at all is using the ipod while driving, unless im changing tracks or something simple. The problem with mine is that it's an older model unit that was never really designed to work with the ipod, and you have to press a couple of buttons to do what one button does on current HUs

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 01:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Actually, my Audiocontrol EQ has aux RCA type inputs. When charging the ipod through the lighter, before I got the Alpine interface, I had terrible ground loop noise until I unplugged the charger. The Alpine ipod adapter took care of that and the noise is gone.

So make sure whatever charger you get won't introduce noise into your stereo.

blame your Audiocontrol for that. they really had some issues back in the day for ground loop noise. seriously, it's the reason i took out the Epicenter. no need for extra devices anyhoo.

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 01:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I sent mine in and they fixed it.. I did have serious problems with it that have disappeared

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 01:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
I sent mine in and they fixed it.. I did have serious problems with it that have disappeared

:icon31:

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 01:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
Dave wrote:

:icon31:

:icon28:

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 01:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i just noticed you paid $500 for a HU that only dishes 2 volts at the pre-outs. :lol: that's a super weak link in the chain. Alpine, wtf.

orphan of war
orphan of war
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 01:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla makes me want to adblock :) and ;)

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 02:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
i just noticed you paid $500 for a HU that only dishes 2 volts at the pre-outs. :lol: that's a super weak link in the chain. Alpine, wtf.

not worried about it

you're not worried about it because you don't understand.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 02:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sliver wrote:
riddla makes me want to adblock :) and ;)

same. throw in GH's :icon14: , and you're done.

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 02:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
riddla wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

not worried about it

It's hard to believe, but not everyone is like you and I when it comes to audio :p

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 02:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
riddla wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

not worried about it

It's hard to believe, but not everyone is like you and I when it comes to audio :p

you and i both know that nowadays 4 volts is a minimum, especially in that price range. if he paid 200 or so for it, well, 2volts is pretty standard, but $500+tax and 2 volts is ridiculous. i don't blame Riddla any more than i blame Alpine.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 02:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
riddla wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

not worried about it

whatever, 2 is fine. fuck off already, you've had such a hardon to troll me lately and I've been trying to let it go but you just keep on and on :tear:

WTF :lol:

i don't go dedicating threads to you man, stop dreaming :lol:

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 02:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
if for some reason i cant hear my music (which is mostly non-audiophile mp3 VBR0 quality anyhow lol) i'll be letting you know asap :lol:

it's not about volume, d!psh!t :lol:

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 02:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
Dave wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
riddla wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

not worried about it

you and i both know that nowadays 4 volts is a minimum, especially in that price range. if he paid 200 or so for it, well, 2volts is pretty standard, but $500+tax and 2 volts is ridiculous. i don't blame Riddla any more than i blame Alpine.

hell, my audiocontrol pumps out 13 (if i cranked the volume and gain up all the way). Alpine usually puts 2 on their entry level non-ai net head units unless they put a '4v' tag on it.

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 02:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mp3s work better than audio discs because the player can buffer more of the song in memory. Mine has never skipped on an mp3 file off a cd. It's only skipped twice on an audio cd and both times it surprised me.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 02:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
Dave wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
riddla wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

not worried about it

hell, my audiocontrol pumps out 13 (if i cranked the volume and gain up all the way). Alpine usually puts 2 on their entry level non-ai net head units unless they put a '4v' tag on it.

$500 is not entry level. it's mid. Alpine screwed up, no doubt.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 02:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
Dave wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
riddla wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

not worried about it

hell, my audiocontrol pumps out 13 (if i cranked the volume and gain up all the way)

doesn't matter much if it's not at the source.

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 02:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
Dave wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
Dave wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
riddla wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

not worried about it

$500 is not entry level. it's mid. Alpine screwed up, no doubt.

Well, it's an <i>entry-level dvd player</i>. I'm not supporting them one way or another. I'm just saying that it's consistent with their entry-level feature set.

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 02:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
Dave wrote:
mp3s work better than audio discs because the player can buffer more of the song in memory. Mine has never skipped on an mp3 file off a cd. It's only skipped twice on an audio cd and both times it surprised me.

what unit you have dave?

this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPINE-CDA-7894-AM- ... dZViewItem

PostPosted: 08-07-2005 03:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

piddlas getting ripped off on a piece of shit :lol:

PostPosted: 08-07-2005 03:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if laughing at you pretending you dont care when others have pointed out what a piece of shit youre wasting your money on is predictable then im all for it mate :lol:

Long and Strong
Long and Strong
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 05:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:

cart before checkout

For all I got, the final bill of $1395+free shipping isnt all that bad imo. Its going into a 99 Accord V6.

Nice choice on using crutchfield :icon14:, the free kits, and wiring harnesses make up for anything you could save buying it elsewhere.

I'm still waiting for them to make a dashkit for my XG-350 so I can buy a new headunit. I am to damn lazy to make my own.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 06:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
riddla wrote:
Dave wrote:

what unit you have dave?

this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPINE-CDA-7894-AM- ... dZViewItem

Quote:
4-volt front/rear/subwoofer preamp outputs

\o/

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 08:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think what juggernaut means is that a 2v source voltage stepped up to 4 or 13 downstream is going to result in amplified noise as well amplified sound

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 08:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

right, but unless you're going digital straight from HU to EQ, you're still at 2v for the source. it's better, but not ideal.

FFS that's expensive.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 08:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

and you know, you're taking my thoughts the wrong way about the voltage. i was mocking Alpine moreso than you.

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 08:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

juggs sounds like me explaining the virtues (or lack thereof) of computer speakers

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 08:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

computer speakers :olo:

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 08:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's what <i>I</i> said

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 08:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
That's what <i>I</i> said

:wub:

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 11:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

elite pricks :)

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 11:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

saturn wrote:
elite prick<s>s</s> :)

:lub:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.