Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        May still be hope for Doom the movie?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 03:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

R00k wrote:
Vin Diesel is good for Pitch Black and Riddick, but I can't really see him playing Doom's characters for some reason.

An aside -- I saw an animated flick a couple weeks ago. It was the Riddick story, but the events took place between Picth Black and Riddick. I was blown away - the animation was awesome, and the scenes and action were fun as hell to watch. It was done by the artist who drew the Aeon Flux cartoons for Liquid Television years ago. If you like the movies, you should definitely check it out.

I loved Pitch Black. Riddick was cool, but not as good. You know the name of that animation story you saw? That guy also directed Matriculated in the Animatrix BTW =)

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 03:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The animation is called "dark Fury". Still have yet to watch it, its dropped to £5 so i may buy it now.

As For the problem with the movie, its just that the enemies sem to different. They are all slimey and shit, have skin dropping off them. The hell knight looked like he just got out the bath, and had zero scale relating to the game hellknight. He looked about 5 foot tall, not a 8/9 foot monster with huge upper body.

I.E. Its obvious they ARE guys in suits :(

For once, I DO think they should of gone with CGI. It would of been more true to the game.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 03:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's $ related :/

Edit: I found the Dark Fury show on IMDb btw.. Gonna have to get hold of that.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 03:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

netrex wrote:
It's $ related :/

Edit: I found the Dark Fury show on IMDb btw.. Gonna have to get hold of that.

Its only like 30 mins long thats why i never got it :(

Necro
Necro
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 04:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

looks like shit
smells like shit
guess what?

its gonna be shit!

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 04:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yea I have to say that the trailer is a little disappointing.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 04:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Geebs wrote:
Seriously, don't. It's shit.

Ryoki wrote:
Indeed. I thought it might be a good mindless action movie, but it even falls short in that category.

That's disappointing too, after seeing the animated flick. Maybe I'll rent it anyway just to appease my curiosity.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 04:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anybody notice that there was water in the movie, but not in the game...?

Shame. Water would of rocked in the game. Nice reflective water with zombies rising from it and all sorts...

EDIT: Love the way we see all the people die in this trailer... Wow, lots to happen thats fresh in the film now. SPOILER FUCKING WARNING.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 04:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ahh... I see now...

http://www.doommovie.com/

Read the story.

They are not infected people, the zombies are. The monsters are from "somewhere else" and the marines get to Mars via a portal from earth, which they had to shut off. Which means the grass part may be on earth.

This is the pinky BTW:

Serious.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 04:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is he not from Band of Brothers?

edit:
apparantly, he is. Dexter Fletcher is his name. John Martin is his name in the series.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 05:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Is he not from Band of Brothers?

edit:
apparantly, he is. Dexter Fletcher is his name. John Martin is his name in the series.

Hes from Lock stock sir, too.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 05:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

soap :icon14:

IMPRESSIVE
IMPRESSIVE
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 05:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dexter also used to host Gamesmaster on Channel 4 during the early 90s when it was set in an off shore prison colony.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 07:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's just that the (trailer) fucking reeked of crappy-popcorn munching summer flick with all the fucking people looking like they are constipated and trying to act badass with their snappy haircuts and their one liners 'y0 y0 let's kick ass'. Typical movie based on some fantasy shit. The trailer looked almost as bad as aliens vs. predator

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 07:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
That fact is the only real glimmer of hope I have left for this movie. If the movie would be shit, then id wouldn't be backing it would they?

And I think the trailer is shit because it doesn't show anything and doesn't give a good idea about what we should expect from this movie. It doesn't build a feeling of tension and terror, which I do expect from this movie.
It doesn't show a big firefight or people being ripped to shreds, which I would expect from the Doom franchise.
It only shows people running around screaming, nothing more. That's not really a good way to sell your movie.

It's about the monah at this point, id could give two fucks if it is a good movie or not.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 07:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wasn't there a hell knight in one of those shots... it was all small and shit and one of the marines punched it rofl. Doom should be about blasting that huge fucking walking tank from a distance with a shotgun, not having a tea party. (Yeah you can have berserk and punch in Doom, but imo that would come off somewhat cheesy in a movie =D).

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 07:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, some thigns confuse me... For one the imps look great. Take a look at my pics, most of the time they look good, but other times they look shit. I dont thnk that end shot with the eyes is an imp anymore, maybe a trite :shrug:

Also the hellknight looks shit, but when Sarge fires the BFG (Which is blue, WTF?) at him, he seems huge...?

Here are some snaps. If anybody has a link to the high res trailer in quicktime i would be thanking j00:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 08:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doesnt look that bad, tho it did remind me of Resident Evil...*shrug*

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 08:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i still vin diesel > the rock. and he can do 'serious' stuff too. seen 'the boiler room'? he was excellent in that.

oh, and i didn't think chronicles of riddick was that bad at all. the script saved it from utter oblivion, and the necromongers made me lol. it was better than xXx

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 08:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What would of made Doom better is if they looked the same... I.e. the marines had the same armor at least...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 08:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bwahahahaha

the grinch that stole christmas

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 09:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think it looked OK. Are you expecting shakespeare or something? It's movie based on computer game with absolutely no fucking story whatsoever.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 09:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

IMO it could've been a lot better off if they based it off the novels. Not completely the same as them, just base it off them. Could definitely make it better... I'd watch it anyway. Much better than "hmm? what's that? You smell a zombie? Does he smell what The Rock is cooking?"

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 10:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pauly wrote:
I think it looked OK. Are you expecting shakespeare or something? It's movie based on computer game with absolutely no fucking story whatsoever.

They could at least make it eye candy though. That trailer looks like it was filmed in an office park in Milton Keynes over a bank holiday. It's impossible to look at the monsters without thinking "guy in a suit"

"You are huge, that means you have huge guts....."

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 11:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

watched the 'panel' vid after the trailer

Got the impression they were all working hard at persuading the fanbase it won't suck: Really, we were faithfull to the game, the monsters are there, the set is right outta the game, it's got a BFG, it won't suck honest, pleeeese believe us. Which gave me the impression that, well...it must suck then as they all seem so worried.

The rock guy said 'it kicks ass' too many times, didn't that saying die out in the 80's?

They looked pretty scared up on that platform, I guess they were at 'nerd central' and had to appease the game fans, tough job and both Rock + Karl kept glancing over to Todd for moral support when struggling for monster names etc.

The trailer itself was the usual, well edited action film product but couldn't help wondering whether I'd just seen the ONLY good bits. It had extremely annoying quotes which have absolutly been done to death already like:

'Listen up men'
'Gametime'
'We're going in hot'

Personally I feel it's an Aliens remake but using the Doom franchise to avoid litigation

I will watch it anyway because I am a fan of the original, which the movie makers know already and therein lies the problem - knowing you have already secured an audience, why bother trying so hard to make it good.

Personally I would rather go see a 90 minute run through of Doom 1 2 or 3 on the big screen - a bit like the 'Quake-dun-quick' vids, but 'taking their sweet time marine'

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.