Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        May still be hope for Doom the movie?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: May still be hope for Doom the movie?

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 07-26-2005 02:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm still pretty skeptical of course, but this review of the panel has some interesting stuff in it.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20755

Quote:
I had written DOOM off after all the word starting coming out on how there was no Hell, no Mars and no creatures from the games. If they cut out Hell and Mars and creatures, then they were obviously going for a PG-13. I figured why the hell call it DOOM? I had really written it off as yet another shitty video game adaptation.
However, at the panel today they revealed some surprises... Id Software has been involved since the beginning, the producers, filmmakers and stars all wanted to make a movie that respected the source material and the studio was willing to put it out R-rated.
Confirmed in the movie: MARS! IMPS! HELLKNIGHT! THE BARON! PINKY DEMONS! GORE!
This made me smile. They premiered the trailer and then showed a clip that truly won me over... I'll get to those after the tidbits of info gleaned from the panel featuring producers John Wells, Lorenzo DiBoneventura, Todd Hollenshead (Id CEO), Karl Urban and The Rock.

Quote:
-The Rock on the film: "It's unapologetic as hell, faithful and gory."

-They recreated sets directly from the game, like corridors and labs and even made the computer screens in the movie have the same style as what's on the computer screens in the game.

-The BFG was huge, according to The Rock.

-The monsters are big, most between 6 and 9 feet tall (and these are practical effects).

-"The intensity of the game is in the movie," said The Rock. From minute 5 we're there. Non-stop train ride to Hell."

-The young screenwriter Dave Callaham is very protective of the game.

-Lorenzo on the plot: He wouldn't go into it much but he did say, "A team on Mars chasing real evil, bad things."
-When pressed about differences between the games and the movie, Lorenzo said that we'll see how the monsters came about (Maybe this means no hell? Not sure.) and the evil little buggers get a chance to fuck up the Earth. Interesting...

So, Hell may or may not still be in, but at least it's going for an R rating now. But what I thought sounded really super cool is that there is at least one 5-minute scene that is shot to look just like an FPS game -- completely in Urban's POV, seeing the weapon in the bottom right corner, hearing reload times...

I'm starting to think it might be worth checking out after all.

Edit: And here's the text of an interview with Karl Urban:
http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=20806

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-26-2005 03:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

its raised my hopes a bit but having 'the rock' in it

there are simply no excuses :/

i bet he does a rock bottom on a hell knight

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 07-26-2005 03:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Image > Image

imo

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 07-26-2005 03:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Vin Diesel is good for Pitch Black and Riddick, but I can't really see him playing Doom's characters for some reason.

An aside -- I saw an animated flick a couple weeks ago. It was the Riddick story, but the events took place between Picth Black and Riddick. I was blown away - the animation was awesome, and the scenes and action were fun as hell to watch. It was done by the artist who drew the Aeon Flux cartoons for Liquid Television years ago. If you like the movies, you should definitely check it out.

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 07-26-2005 03:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

R00k wrote:
Vin Diesel is good for Pitch Black and Riddick, but I can't really see him playing Doom's characters for some reason.

An aside -- I saw an animated flick a couple weeks ago. It was the Riddick story, but the events took place between Picth Black and Riddick. I was blown away - the animation was awesome, and the scenes and action were fun as hell to watch. It was done by the artist who drew the Aeon Flux cartoons for Liquid Television years ago. If you like the movies, you should definitely check it out.

Yeah, that was pretty cool. The best part was where Vin Diesel puts that knife right fucking through that guys eye. I bet he did it in real life so the animators could draw it better.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 07-26-2005 03:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
In case id is watching this forum Hollenshead is a dick.

I'm sure he cares that you think so.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 07-26-2005 03:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
Yeah, that was pretty cool. The best part was where Vin Diesel puts that knife right fucking through that guys eye. I bet he did it in real life so the animators could draw it better.

lol, I remember that part, that was nuts. The guy is an unstoppable fucking maniac.

I still haven't seen Chronicles of Riddick, but that little flick made me want to check it out.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 07-26-2005 03:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you care that he reads it, you obviously care what he thinks. :smirk:

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 07-26-2005 03:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Okay, I'm going to delete my last 2 posts on it then. I hate cluttering up my own threads.

Okay, nevermind, I can't delete my posts. :smirk:

*clutters some more*

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-26-2005 03:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Vin Diesel is an asshat... the rock (Dwayne, not Darrel, Johnson) is pretty cool actually. There are no great action movie stars anymore, unfortunately.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-26-2005 04:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

At least it's not Hulk Hogan.
Just long as they don't do any wrestling move. IMO That really killed the last blade, not that it wasn't already dead. I just hope the rock can express the wide verity of emotions needed to convince the audience of the situation and and ambiance. Especially being scared shitless.
Could you imagining the first aliens movie if Ripely just kind of shrugged at the site of all the aliens.
The rock isn't my first pick, I would have rethread some one with more experience in military roles. Or at least science fiction like Vin Diesel. Then again the rock can probable carry a mini gun off a helicopter like it's a water pistol. And stand up agaisnt those huge monsters.
Personally I would have picked Malcolm Jamal Warner. He has a buff body, and has played a wide range of roles successfully. Malcolm Jamal Warner playas Kurdy Malloy in Jeremiah. He's also the rehab guy from the dead zone.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 07-26-2005 05:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
good pic find, darrell beating on a woman :lol:

His name is Dwayne.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-26-2005 05:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

R00k wrote:
But what I thought sounded really super cool is that there is at least one 5-minute scene that is shot to look just like an FPS game -- completely in Urban's POV, seeing the weapon in the bottom right corner, hearing reload times...

it'll only be authentic if he has to juggle his torch

bork[e] wrote:
Image > Image

imo

w3rd

riddla wrote:
In case id is watching this forum Hollenshead is a dick.

todd just msn'd me and told me to tell you to say hi to your mom for him

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-26-2005 08:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dont know if this has been posted.

Doom Movie trailer.

http://media.filmforce.ign.com/media/49 ... ids_1.html

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 07-26-2005 11:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Jesus that looks so shitty. Fucking resident evil monsters!

I ain't seeing this shit.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 12:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

karl urban is good casting - he almost looks like the little status face on the bar at the bottom of the screen in the game.

dunno about the rock at all, he's been in a few okay films - but he doesn't look like a space marine (or whatever they're supposed to be). granted he looks like a big, hard bastard - but the trade-off is that he also looks like someone with a personal trainer, a dietician and a daily skincare regime.

the trailer does look quite shitty :(

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 12:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

R00k wrote:
feedback wrote:

lol, I remember that part, that was nuts. The guy is an unstoppable fucking maniac.

I still haven't seen Chronicles of Riddick, but that little flick made me want to check it out.

Seriously, don't. It's shit.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 12:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Indeed. I thought it might be a good mindless action movie, but it even falls short in that category.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 12:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, everything looks so B_Movie horror crap.

Its like they couldn't just make the monsters look like they did in the game, they made them all wet ans slimey and shit, and it just doesn't look good at all...

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the monsters looking THIS shit.

Shame. After what they AND id were saying (About the monsters looking bang on) I had hope, but now... Pfft, what the fuck?

Oh, and the Imps look more like those little weird things out of the original UE3 Gears Of War pics.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 01:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

imp are supposed to be brown anyway, not grey

doom3 :(

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 02:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
imp are supposed to be brown anyway, not grey

doom3 :(

The problem with the movie imps isn't the colour as such, its the eye balls they had... They had eyes. In the games, they always had these dead orb eyes like a insect or something :(

Funny thing is, it was probably harder for them to make eyes than it was to stay true to the game, so dunno why they did that... :shrug:

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 02:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

R00k wrote:

I really liked the riddick films, and the game was one of the best i've played in many many years.

They are doing a new game, which will obviously be the same type but different story. Hopefully with MP over live, too. There was talk about them making it a 360 game. And TBH, if the game looked that stunning on the original xbox, it must look crazy on a 360.

IMPRESSIVE
IMPRESSIVE
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 02:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Trailers out.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/doom/trailers.php

Looks fucking god awful.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 02:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Chronicles of riddick was ok for a mindless action movie.
I find the Doom trailer a bit disappointing to be honest.

IMPRESSIVE
IMPRESSIVE
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 02:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A bit? I want to claw my fucking eyes out.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 02:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mr.Magnetichead wrote:
Trailers out.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/doom/trailers.php

Looks fucking god awful.

-SKID- wrote:
Dont know if this has been posted.

Doom Movie trailer.

http://media.filmforce.ign.com/media/49 ... ids_1.html

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 02:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mr.Magnetichead wrote:
A bit? I want to claw my fucking eyes out.

I made that statement based on how much you actually see, which is next to nothing. I still hold a small amount of hope for there being cool stuff in the movie that's not in the trailer. When I snap out of my dream and think of it again though, most often trailers show all the cool bits from the movie and the rest of the movie is boring crap. If that is the case with Doom as well then it'll be an utterly boring movie.

IMPRESSIVE
IMPRESSIVE
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 02:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What I fins most worrying is the fact that id are fully backing this complete turd.

If I were them i'd be distancing myself from it as far as possible.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 03:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That fact is the only real glimmer of hope I have left for this movie. If the movie would be shit, then id wouldn't be backing it would they?

And I think the trailer is shit because it doesn't show anything and doesn't give a good idea about what we should expect from this movie. It doesn't build a feeling of tension and terror, which I do expect from this movie.
It doesn't show a big firefight or people being ripped to shreds, which I would expect from the Doom franchise.
It only shows people running around screaming, nothing more. That's not really a good way to sell your movie.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 03:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The scream at the end of the trailer is a sound I recognize from Starcraft or Warcraft (I think Starcraft), when you click on one of the buildings, can't exactly place it though...

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 03:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

R00k wrote:

I loved Pitch Black. Riddick was cool, but not as good. You know the name of that animation story you saw? That guy also directed Matriculated in the Animatrix BTW =)

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 03:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The animation is called "dark Fury". Still have yet to watch it, its dropped to £5 so i may buy it now.

As For the problem with the movie, its just that the enemies sem to different. They are all slimey and shit, have skin dropping off them. The hell knight looked like he just got out the bath, and had zero scale relating to the game hellknight. He looked about 5 foot tall, not a 8/9 foot monster with huge upper body.

I.E. Its obvious they ARE guys in suits :(

For once, I DO think they should of gone with CGI. It would of been more true to the game.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 03:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's $ related :/

Edit: I found the Dark Fury show on IMDb btw.. Gonna have to get hold of that.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 03:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

netrex wrote:
It's $ related :/

Edit: I found the Dark Fury show on IMDb btw.. Gonna have to get hold of that.

Its only like 30 mins long thats why i never got it :(

Necro
Necro
PostPosted: 07-27-2005 04:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

looks like shit
smells like shit
guess what?

its gonna be shit!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.