Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        S.T.A.L.K.E.R delayed (again)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: S.T.A.L.K.E.R delayed (again)

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 04:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They're aiming for next year now. LMAO, this is like the new Duke Nukem Forever.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59994

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 04:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the 'new' duke nukem forever? :smirk:

anyways. i think, last year, this game would have rocked even HL2.
next year it will not be important at all.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 06:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah it's sad.
Still if they deliver in the gameplay what they promise the it should be a very cool game.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 06:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

they'd better surpass the hype next year

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 06:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thats prolly because a new version of stalker has just been leaked to newsgroups... This ones a lot better than the last i hear because its a recent build...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 06:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I have better faith in this than Duke Forever.
Reasons are that not only has DNF been in production much, much longer and has it switched engines more than once and have they failed to produce even one single impressive screenshot so far, STALKER has it's gameplay going.

DNF should be another brainless FPS whereas STALKER could possibly have something quite new to offer. Kind of an MMORPG/FPS blend (only not online) where you can wander around "The Zone" for ages in search of artifacts.

If it gets the feeling of really being on a long journey then that seems mighty interesting. The whole deal with day/night, having to sleep and find food and everything really puts a survival idea behind it, which to me sounds much more interesting than putting virtual dollars in some bumpmapped ho's bra.

i'm gorgeous!
i'm gorgeous!
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 06:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

right to the point, eraser, you fucking nerd.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 07:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Well I have better faith in this than Duke Forever.
Reasons are that not only has DNF been in production much, much longer and has it switched engines more than once and have they failed to produce even one single impressive screenshot so far, STALKER has it's gameplay going.

DNF should be another brainless FPS whereas STALKER could possibly have something quite new to offer. Kind of an MMORPG/FPS blend (only not online) where you can wander around "The Zone" for ages in search of artifacts.

If it gets the feeling of really being on a long journey then that seems mighty interesting. The whole deal with day/night, having to sleep and find food and everything really puts a survival idea behind it, which to me sounds much more interesting than putting virtual dollars in some bumpmapped ho's bra.

I knew this, but thanks for wording it

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 07:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I dunno Eraser, come on, dont start acting like a... Well like me :p

DNF may just surprise you. Its supposed to have a LOT of stuff you can do in the world that rivals any game out there now. Its also got a graphics engine thats on par at LEAST with "anything out there now" so we at least know that it will have a per pixel renderer.

Remember prey? That game was dead long ago, it was left behind and died... At least we thought. Now its back and if you watch the video it looks VERY fucking cool in what you can do. The whole world isn't static anymore, there are buttons and stuff that control gravity, and you can change them so you can walk on walls and all sorts of stuff... Some of the puzzles are just like metroids ball puzzles only without the ball :p

There are even sections where you can walk all the way around captured moons, with the gravity keeping you on, even though players may see you as being upside down.

It looks quite original in what you have to do. So dont give up 100% on DNF. Sure its taking "forever", but it may just be great.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 07:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's taking them fucking > 10 years

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 07:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeh innit

Thats a fuckin long time...

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 07:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

saturn wrote:
it's taking them fucking > 10 years

Exactly. IMO, it should be listed right under the definition of vapourware.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 07:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The level of interaction in DNF is supposed to be great. They mentioned of 'being able to put a number of different objects in a microwave, set it for a few minutes, and watch it get nuked'. That's just one example.

George B. and the crew are very tight lipped. I mean shit, if the engine is done, show us some new screens to give the wow factor. I think currently they plan not to show any media until the game is ready to ship. That smells like bs, it's like they are not completely satisfied or have confidence issues in the project that they wouldn't show us anything, nothing, nadda, not even 1 image.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 08:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Remember dzjepp, that with the time this has been in production, the hype factor is beyond "the roof" the scale. Whatever they release, no matter how good it looks, will be inspected over and over by the public and then, eventually, they will be asked "so what took you so long?".

I think they finally have something they are happy with so they are sticking to it. They wont release any more media until close to shipping, because last time (UT engine era, shots with the alien EDF cops and the guy with the cigar) were slammed for being ok, but not amazing. I think they took this the wrong way and again went back and remade stuff.

Most companies dont listen to people when they say "It looks ok, but not amazing" they just want it out the door. It seems 3DR, with this game, NEED it to be "amazing".

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 08:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I agree... basically at this point, anything they make that dosen't look close or as good as UE3 is gonna get slammed by thousands of bulleting board threads, it's gonna be a ripple effect.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 08:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

stop talking about DNF :mad:

they never released a screenshot or anything so whatever they're saying, I'll just wait till they finally release the game and shrug it off.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 08:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Think it will have monster closits? :icon32:

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 08:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, and two zombies that need 6 shotgun shots in the toe to die.

- area-sensitive script triggers

- CRATES, we need fucking crates

- Nazis, gotta have 'em

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 08:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It will have crates sir. A FPS game isn't a FPS without crates ;)

Hopefully we will get some nice and fresh enemy AI, too :(

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 08:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They better have hookers with fully bump-mapped nipples or I'll be pissed.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 08:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ROFL, forget about AI.

The last time AI surprised me was when The Zerg flooded me with even MORE alien troops.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 08:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

stalker looks a bit 2004 to me....already

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 08:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
STALKER could possibly have something quite new to offer. Kind of an MMORPG/FPS blend (only not online) where you can wander around "The Zone" for ages in search of artifacts.

That'd be totally cool :icon14:

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 08:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, some shots of Stalker just scream "UT2k4?" to me. But some of them really, really are impressive. Not to mention the game has a fantastic and fresh idea behind its gameplay.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 08:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are they still behind the idea of letting us explore to no ends? I think I've heard this. So for instance, those 2 buildings there, can I go in and explore? That would be cool... many Chernobyl buildings are quite fucked up these days, they got shrubs growin in them and shit, and most look like WW3 passed through the inside.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 08:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

granted, the different skies look great

[lvlshot]http://www.stalker-game.com/download/gallery/screenshots/middle/sb_xray_53.jpg[/lvlshot]
[lvlshot]http://www.stalker-game.com/download/gallery/screenshots/middle/sb_xray_12.jpg[/lvlshot]

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 08:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Things like this are outdated looking:

[lvlshot]http://www.stalker-game.com/download/gallery/screenshots/middle/sb_xray_60.jpg[/lvlshot]

But then...

[lvlshot]http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/613/613413/stalker-shadow-of-chernobyl-20050513101336124.jpg[/lvlshot]

[lvlshot]http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/613/613413/stalker-shadow-of-chernobyl-20050513101346342.jpg[/lvlshot]

[lvlshot]http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/541/541488/stalker-shadow-of-chernobyl-20040824011518809.jpg[/lvlshot]

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 08:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
Are they still behind the idea of letting us explore to no ends? I think I've heard this. So for instance, those 2 buildings there, can I go in and explore? That would be cool... many Chernobyl buildings are quite fucked up these days, they got shrubs growin in them and shit, and most look like WW3 passed through the inside.

the exploring would be cool in such a atmospheric (and creepy) environment...that would make me buy it

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 08:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

People gotta remember that STALKER had a complete engine overhaul just recently. Most of the shots released (pretty much all the ones on the website) are old tech shots.

Check the movies of the game in action from E3, it looks stunning.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 08:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think I've seen those vids already, unless they're really really really new.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-13-2005 08:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Somebody tell me what the old leak version was? The latest "leak" i can find on torrent sites is stalker build 1154, with a date of last week, which is when the last leak was supposed to happen. Should have some interesting things :p

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.