Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Amount of songs that can fit on a cd

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Amount of songs that can fit on a cd

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 04:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What is the technical reason why I can only fit ~20 songs on a blasted cd? When there is enough room for houndreds?

PostPosted: 06-28-2005 04:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mp3 files are compressed, i guess, and when you go to change them to cd audio they get real big

bling bling
bling bling
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 04:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the question you pose is rather vague, however i think i might know what you're talking about.

when you burn a standard audio cd it converts any audio file format you may be using, such as .mp3, to a .wav format which can then be read in any cd player. whereas a .mp3 file will take up ~8mb of space a .wav file can take up about 10x that amount of space for the same song.

now if you have a mp3 capable cd player then you can just burn all your .mp3 files onto a data disc and you can then enjoy hundreds of songs.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 04:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grandpa Stu wrote:
the question you pose is rather vague, however i think i might know what you're talking about.

when you burn a standard audio cd it converts any audio file format you may be using, such as .mp3, to a .wav format which can then be read in any cd player. whereas a .mp3 file will take up ~8mb of space a .wav file can take up about 10x that amount of space for the same song.

now if you have a mp3 capable cd player then you can just burn all your .mp3 files onto a data disc and you can then enjoy hundreds of songs.

:lub: I've got a kinda new cd player in the truck... *Checks their webby*

edit: btw, that was spot on sir.

PostPosted: 06-28-2005 04:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bork[e] wrote:
Grandpa Stu wrote:

get one of those things that lets you plug your ipod into the stereo

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 04:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Keep It Real wrote:
bork[e] wrote:
Grandpa Stu wrote:

get one of those things that lets you plug your ipod into the stereo

Until you find me a way to download an ipod I'll stick with what I got. :)

And come to find out for the past 1 1/2 years I've been burning 20 song cd's while I could have been filling the bastard up...the cd play I have supports mp3zz. :icon32:

thanks again dude.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 06:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

actually, i don't technically think it's a wave file anymore once it's burned. it'll be .cda's. if you were to explore an audio cd that you just created, there are no .wav extensions and you cannot extract any songs, unless you convert them back to .wav/mp3/etc. etc.

p.s. be careful with your mp3 cd player. some don't do so well with certain encoders and certain types of .mp3's (vbr, etc)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 11:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I could only fit one song on my CD :( ........ It lasted 74 minutes :paranoid:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 11:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
actually, i don't technically think it's a wave file anymore once it's burned. it'll be .cda's. if you were to explore an audio cd that you just created, there are no .wav extensions and you cannot extract any songs, unless you convert them back to .wav/mp3/etc. etc.

p.s. be careful with your mp3 cd player. some don't do so well with certain encoders and certain types of .mp3's (vbr, etc)

even better, its not even any fileformat. windows read the toc data and interprets them as '.cda' for its own purposes.
it actually is just a data track with a toc data at the beginning, stating where one 'track' should end and the next one starts

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 12:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

even better, its not even any fileformat. windows read the toc data and interprets them as '.cda' for its own purposes.
it actually is just a data track with a toc data at the beginning, stating where one 'track' should end and the next one starts

yeah, kinda like a header

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 12:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 12:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:icon19:

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 07:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

any reason I can only access the first 20 something songs of a cd that has around 200+ songs on it? I've hit every button on the player and remote and I can't change it.

The face looks like this: F01 Track 1.

I was thinking FO1 ment folder1 or something but when I put the cd back in the pc it's only files...

Their pdf manual only says that their product can play mp3 and doesn't say what's going on here?

any idea?

PostPosted: 06-29-2005 07:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I could only fit one song on my CD :( ........ It lasted 74 minutes :paranoid:

must have been a boring song

Approaching the singularity
Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 07:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bork[e] wrote:
any reason I can only access the first 20 something songs of a cd that has around 200+ songs on it? I've hit every button on the player and remote and I can't change it.

The face looks like this: F01 Track 1.

I was thinking FO1 ment folder1 or something but when I put the cd back in the pc it's only files...

Their pdf manual only says that their product can play mp3 and doesn't say what's going on here?

any idea?

you probably have to name them and file them on the disk according to the ISO standard, or the player won't find them. Nero and most burning apps can take care of that when burning the disk. I don't think the XP burning utility will do that.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 07:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ahh...thanks.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 08:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

is it a r/w? maybe it's only reading the first session.

using Nero?

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 01:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

using Nero?

The DEH-P4500MP supports R and RW. Are you finalizing the disc? Burning in data mode?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 01:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bork[e] wrote:

Someone needs to come up with a way to pirate electronics.

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 02:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dr.Gibbs wrote:
bork[e] wrote:

Someone needs to come up with a way to pirate electronics.

Smash and grab?

orphan of war
orphan of war
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 02:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wait till that scientist finishes his star trek fabricator machine. Then you can get yourself an ipod as long as you know someone else who has one. Although the machine will probably cost ten grand or more if it ever gets working.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 02:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 02:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

using Nero?
- yup

Burning in data mode?
- not sure, only had time to try once with Nero, and it's doing the same thing. Will try again later.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 02:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sliver wrote:
wait till that scientist finishes his star trek fabricator machine. Then you can get yourself an ipod as long as you know someone else who has one. Although the machine will probably cost ten grand or more if it ever gets working.

yea that and Va-poo-rize ey lol

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 03:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bork[e] wrote:
What is the technical reason why I can only fit ~20 songs on a blasted cd? When there is enough room for houndreds?

There is no technical reason for that. I think standard cd players were limited to 99 audio tracks, but that's rather old news.

As for MP3s: There are players (like my car player) that don't accept files inside folders. Some players only want them placed in folders. Other players don't like mp3s with variable bitrates or lower than 128 or 96 kbps bitrates. Even filenames can cause trouble if they don't fit certain standards. - For me it was really annoying, because I had to re-burn a lot of my homeplayer cds a second time just for the player in the car.

Anyway, the players fucking manual should be your friend.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 03:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

That's right but I think it's not so much a problem of the cd file format but just another issue of Microsucks user-friendly features. I know there was an alternative cdfs.vxd (at least for win98/me) that enabled windows explorer to show and handle cd tracks as "normal" *.wav files.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 03:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Their PDF Doc.

That's all she wrote, as far as I can find anyway.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 04:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

using Nero?

The DEH-P4500MP supports R and RW. Are you finalizing the disc? Burning in data mode?

:dork: you're on a dumb dumb roll today. kick yourself in the nuts and call it a day.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 04:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jugger, were you talking about the cd or the player. Cd is a RW...guess you know what the player is.

That matter?

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 04:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the cd. sounds to me like it's only reading ONE of the multiple sessions.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 04:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh. I got some non cd/rw I'll pop in and give a try tonight. thank ya.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 04:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah, do that. iirc my Pioneer will handle 4 folders deep, so don't be afraid of categorizing if you want to.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 05:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
bitWISE wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

using Nero?

:dork: you're on a dumb dumb roll today. kick yourself in the nuts and call it a day.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 05:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are you finalizing the disc? Burning in data mode?

tbh, I have no idea what you're talking about... I just thought had enough threads with questions in them earlier.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 06-29-2005 05:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bork[e] wrote:
Are you finalizing the disc? Burning in data mode?

tbh, I have no idea what you're talking about... I just thought had enough threads with questions in them earlier.

I noticed that with my Clarion HU I had to finalize an RW disc before I could use it. I'm not sure if this applies to R as well but I always finalize those anyways. If you are using Nero 6 it should finalize by default. I'm not really sure how to explain finalizing...I think Nero 6 refers to it a non-finalized disc as a multi-sesson disc.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.