Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        US court rules that p2p programs are illegal

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 09:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pauly wrote:

...Cinema takings are well down this year. The music industry is saying that profits are at an all time low. Game companies are going bankrupt because of poor sales...

Well I think many people (myself included) get pissed off with going out, paying a bunch of cash to see a flick then sitting through a half an hour of commercials before the show starts. Downloading is starting to become more of a "fuck you" to the RIAA and MPAA since their endless lawsuits started. Fairly priced media, limited theatre commercials, and a good selection MP3 subscription services which are fairly priced and aren't DRM'ed out the arse. All of those things will actually help stop piracy. The lawsuits are simply fueling more IMO.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 10:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Seems to me like blaming the creators of a browser for the fact that illegal sites can be reached. Or is that a bad comparison?

Its only a good comparison if the browser creators are well aware that 95% of the sites that can be reached via their browser are illegal, and 95% of people who use their browser are browsing illegal sites.

If p2p were about the free exchange of legal software/music/movies, etc, and a few bad seeds happen to abuse it, then your analogy would hold water.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 10:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh and another reason that cinemas are making less money is that everyone has a 40000 inch plasma hd home theater with surround sound, and would rather watch movies at home

plus hollywood is producing nothing but shit lately - everything is a remake nowadays.,. theres no originality

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 10:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

Netflix wasn't (isnt?) doing so well after Blockbuster started renting online, and has had to partner with Wal-Mart to try and help themselves get ahead of the game. Just because you pay Netflix (or Blockbuster) doesn't give you the right to burn movies that you don't own. I'm not seeing how you can circumvent that, knowing you're only paying a few dollars per DVD.

On to the price of movies at the theaters:

how is it the MPAA's fault that a bag of popcorn is $4? or a cup of Coke is $5? do they regulate those prices? that's a serious question.

$7 or $8 dollars for just the movie per adult is not a big deal. i can watch the top flicks on a DLP projector for the same price at my local Harkins theater. you pay for the experience (especially if you don't have an HT setup at home).

See, as far as I'm concerned, I do own it. What's the difference between the price I pay NetFlix, and waiting until the movie's in the bargain bin at Best Buy? Nothing, IMO.

I can't say with absolute certainty that the MPAA is to blame for movie ticket prices, but I'm reasonably sure that there's a connection. How much do theaters have to pay to run movies? Surely a good chunk of the cost of a ticket goes to those fees, and the rest to facility costs, staff wages, etc. And as I said, I do go to movies for the massive screen and sound system. The MPAA and theaters do get a bunch of my money. I just think that I've paid to watch a movie, they've recouped "my" portion of their expenditures, so I feel I'm not in the wrong for making a copy. I don't distribute them, and I don't make money off them. Besides, it's not my fault that they pay actors $35876357620987498723 per film.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 11:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
It's fucking retarded. By that logic you can sue Vauxhall for making Novas that thousands of ricer chav tosspots drive like cunters and run people over with

erm, didn't I already make this point? I like the 'ricer chav tosspots' part though - nice added touch :icon14:

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 11:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

StormShadow wrote:
oh and another reason that cinemas are making less money is that everyone has a 40000 inch plasma hd home theater with surround sound, and would rather watch movies at home

OLD

Nightshade wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

Netflix wasn't (isnt?) doing so well after Blockbuster started renting online, and has had to partner with Wal-Mart to try and help themselves get ahead of the game. Just because you pay Netflix (or Blockbuster) doesn't give you the right to burn movies that you don't own. I'm not seeing how you can circumvent that, knowing you're only paying a few dollars per DVD.

how is it the MPAA's fault that a bag of popcorn is $4? or a cup of Coke is $5? do they regulate those prices? that's a serious question.

$7 or $8 dollars for just the movie per adult is not a big deal. i can watch the top flicks on a DLP projector for the same price at my local Harkins theater. you pay for the experience (especially if you don't have an HT setup at home).

See, as far as I'm concerned, I do own it. What's the difference between the price I pay NetFlix, and waiting until the movie's in the bargain bin at Best Buy? Nothing, IMO.

I can't say with absolute certainty that the MPAA is to blame for movie ticket prices, but I'm reasonably sure that there's a connection. How much do theaters have to pay to run movies? Surely a good chunk of the cost of a ticket goes to those fees, and the rest to facility costs, staff wages, etc. And as I said, I do go to movies for the massive screen and sound system. The MPAA and theaters do get a bunch of my money. I just think that I've paid to watch a movie, they've recouped "my" portion of their expenditures, so I feel I'm not in the wrong for making a copy. I don't distribute them, and I don't make money off them. Besides, it's not my fault that they pay actors $35876357620987498723 per film.

i'm sure the MPAA do have something to do with ticket prices, but nothing else you may or may not purchase in a theater.

i don't agree with the rest of your post at all. the money you pay Netflix? you pay <$20 a month for as many dvd's as you can stuff in a 4 week period with, what, no more than 2 or 3 out at a time? that's hardly paying "your share".

also, the good flicks do not wind up in WalMart's bargain bin. on top of that, WalMart's for f@ggots. i hope you don't shop there.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 12:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

StormShadow wrote:
plus hollywood is producing nothing but shit lately - everything is a remake nowadays.,. theres no originality

that has nothing to do with Hollywood making less money. most of the American public are f*cking stupid, and will go for the "blockbuster" 9 times out of 10.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 12:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
OLD

but true...

Quote:
that has nothing to do with Hollywood making less money. most of the American public are f*cking stupid, and will go for the "blockbuster" 9 times out of 10.

Thats why last week was the lowest grossing week in DECADES (adjusted for inflation) And it just happens to be a coincidence that Herbie, Bewitched, The Longest Yard, and Batman - all either remakes or sequels - are in theaters?

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 12:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
Nightshade wrote:
The problem I have with going to the movies (which I still do on a regular basis) is that the ticket prices have become OBSCENELY expensive. $7 or $8 per ticket for an adult, and then the goddamn popcorn is literally almost as much. There is no reason on earth for popcorn to cost six fucking dollars, nor a soda four dollars. None.

Nightshade wrote:

Actually, most if not all of a ticket price for a movie goes to the movie people. Concessions are where a movie theatre makes most of their money.

I agree with you Nightshade. 7 to 8 dollars is a big deal for a ticket. In general, and I'm not saying youre doing this at all but people shouldnt just consider whats easy or not for themselves, but for others. By doing this, one gets a better understanding of why theres a problem in the first place.

For example, if you have a family of four and you want to go check out the latest movie it will cost you maybe 32 dollars for 2 hours entertainment. Couple this with the fact that most people will eat out before/after the movie and you can tack on another 30 dollars at the least. It gets very expensive, youre already looking at 60+ dollars for one night.

Even matinee prices are pretty high these days. At a main theatre I use to go to in downtown Boston, they had no matinee prices on the weekends (i.e. when most people are free). It was 10 dollars all the time. And of course, if you factor in that its 10 dollars...for a family of four thats 40 bucks right there.

Even if you ignore eating out beforehand or ignore getting movie popcorn/drinks, you're still spending quite a bit of money for something that you can easily do at home by just renting a flick for 4 bucks (or less with netflix).

Also I'm tired of MPAA's/RIAA's/TV people/whatever's whining and bs. Yes I know that its all about economics and whatnot but if all them actors and whoever else had normal salary's (instead of something 10000x the norm), then they wouldnt have all these "problems". They wouldnt have to shove down 10 minutes of commercials for a sitcom and shit. Theres more to this but thats a discussion for another time.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 01:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Chupacabra wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
Nightshade wrote:
The problem I have with going to the movies (which I still do on a regular basis) is that the ticket prices have become OBSCENELY expensive. $7 or $8 per ticket for an adult, and then the goddamn popcorn is literally almost as much. There is no reason on earth for popcorn to cost six fucking dollars, nor a soda four dollars. None.

Nightshade wrote:

Actually, most if not all of a ticket price for a movie goes to the movie people. Concessions are where a movie theatre makes most of their money.

I agree with you Nightshade. 7 to 8 dollars is a big deal for a ticket. In general, and I'm not saying youre doing this at all but people shouldnt just consider whats easy or not for themselves, but for others. By doing this, one gets a better understanding of why theres a problem in the first place.

For example, if you have a family of four and you want to go check out the latest movie it will cost you maybe 32 dollars for 2 hours entertainment. Couple this with the fact that most people will eat out before/after the movie and you can tack on another 30 dollars at the least. It gets very expensive, youre already looking at 60+ dollars for one night.

Even matinee prices are pretty high these days. At a main theatre I use to go to in downtown Boston, they had no matinee prices on the weekends (i.e. when most people are free). It was 10 dollars all the time. And of course, if you factor in that its 10 dollars...for a family of four thats 40 bucks right there.

Even if you ignore eating out beforehand or ignore getting movie popcorn/drinks, you're still spending quite a bit of money for something that you can easily do at home by just renting a flick for 4 bucks (or less with netflix).

Also I'm tired of MPAA's/RIAA's/TV people/whatever's whining and bs. Yes I know that its all about economics and whatnot but if all them actors and whoever else had normal salary's (instead of something 10000x the norm), then they wouldnt have all these "problems". They wouldnt have to shove down 10 minutes of commercials for a sitcom and shit. Theres more to this but thats a discussion for another time.

not sure if you're condoning piracy here or not, but that's what i was referring to. there is no argument you can muster for stealing copyright material. none.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 02:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

not sure if you're condoning piracy here or not, but that's what i was referring to. there is no argument you can muster for stealing copyright material. none.

Only when you really, really want to. :icon25:

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 04:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
i'm sure the MPAA do have something to do with ticket prices, but nothing else you may or may not purchase in a theater.

i don't agree with the rest of your post at all. the money you pay Netflix? you pay <$20 a month for as many dvd's as you can stuff in a 4 week period with, what, no more than 2 or 3 out at a time? that's hardly paying "your share".

also, the good flicks do not wind up in WalMart's bargain bin. on top of that, WalMart's for f@ggots. i hope you don't shop there.

Maybe you don't think it's paying my share, but I do. How much money does the MPAA need to make off of one copy of a movie? I don't know the particulars of their agreement with NetFlix, but I'm pretty damn sure that those movies have ALL been paid for.
And I've seen every movie you can think of in a bargain bin somewhere at some point. and note that I said Best Buy, not Beijing-Mart.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 06:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

StormShadow wrote:
Quote:
OLD

but true...

that was already stated by me on the first page. hence, old.

JuggerNaut wrote:

StormShadow wrote:
Thats why last week was the lowest grossing week in DECADES (adjusted for inflation) And it just happens to be a coincidence that Herbie, Bewitched, The Longest Yard, and Batman - all either remakes or sequels - are in theaters?

it's got more to do with cinema prices and the affordability of home theater systems. The general public is just not that smart.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 06:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nightshade wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

Maybe you don't think it's paying my share, but I do. How much money does the MPAA need to make off of one copy of a movie? I don't know the particulars of their agreement with NetFlix, but I'm pretty damn sure that those movies have ALL been paid for.
And I've seen every movie you can think of in a bargain bin somewhere at some point. and note that I said Best Buy, not Beijing-Mart.

I'm sure Netflix has them all paid, but that doesn't give you a right to make copies of them. you're conjuring up reasons WHY it's ok for you to do it so you can sleep at night.

yep, we disagree, on this one, no big deal.

oh, and sorry, for some reason i thought you had said WalMart...phew...

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 08:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

well, im not mustering up any argument promoting stealing or anything of the such. i just dont have any sympathy for those organizations.

that i think is a reason why theres an issue to begin with. i think most people dont really care. its hard for people to care when "stealing" music/movies from someone means (1) they still have the thing (one is not depriving the other of some good) (2) they still have oodles and oodles and oodles of money up the wazoo--more money than 99.999999% of people in the world. bear in mind, its not all flat out taking and not giving. some think that "hey, what im paying is good enough" (the 4 dollar rental for example).

i think the problem is bigger than just some moral dilemma. and if we hope to solve this whole thing one day, we should instead study income gaps, social behavior and digital property law.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 08:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Seems to me like blaming the creators of a browser for the fact that illegal sites can be reached. Or is that a bad comparison?

I think it's bad, because the majority of the content on the web is not illegal. P2P, and let's face it, is primarily a portal for illegal activity. It's great technology, however even the programs allow for specifically finding movie and audio files, sorting them by artist and album, etc. Sure this can all be rationalized to an extent as not part of the problem, but overall it is the problem. Folks use it to get their illegal stuff, and it's built to support just that. If there were other prominent uses of the technology it would be great, but there arent. Other uses I've heard of are searching for drivers and application updates, however these are generally on developer's sites, and the rationalization of P2P by this definite legal activity is overlooked by the vastly larger level of illegal activity. The ratio of illegal to legal activity might as well be 1...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 09:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
i'm totally pro-piracy.

for the first time, mankind can share and reproduce something, in this case information, at nearly no cost. this is as much of a technical revolution as electricity was.

i think i am as excited about this as you are :D, it will be extremely interesting.

personally, i hope it (the MPAA, RIAA, etc) all fall apart in some way, or are forced into a huge reform. it would be nice to be alive to witness such a revolution.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 09:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Chupacabra wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

well, im not mustering up any argument promoting stealing or anything of the such. i just dont have any sympathy for those organizations.

that i think is a reason why theres an issue to begin with. i think most people dont really care. its hard for people to care when "stealing" music/movies from someone means (1) they still have the thing (one is not depriving the other of some good) (2) they still have oodles and oodles and oodles of money up the wazoo--more money than 99.999999% of people in the world. bear in mind, its not all flat out taking and not giving. some think that "hey, what im paying is good enough" (the 4 dollar rental for example).

i think the problem is bigger than just some moral dilemma. and if we hope to solve this whole thing one day, we should instead study income gaps, social behavior and digital property law.

income gaps? :lol: are you f*cking kidding me?! between who?

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 09:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just to make things clear here:

I DO NOT CONDONE WHAT THE MPAA/RIAA IS DOING NOR DO I CONDONE STEALING COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL

rep
rep
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 09:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

StormShadow wrote:

True. Most people I know don't go to the theater. They wait for the DVD. DVDs are hitting home expeditiously partly due to the pure digital format that modern films are shot in. There is no analog to digital conversion, so the studio can get their home video team working on the release as soon as it hits the theaters.

Anymore, many movies are being edited with intentional cuts to be made into extras or extended footage on the DVD, so instead of it being the director's artistic decision, or that of the studio who wants a film to fit in a nice two hour format, it's a money issue where something is taken out to be added back in as a DVD solicit.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 11:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nightshade wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

most of the time the rental versions of DVDs are quite limited in the content department, though. ost of the time its just the movie and scene selection, while the retail version has deleted scenes n whatnot

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 11:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
I'm sure Netflix has them all paid, but that doesn't give you a right to make copies of them. you're conjuring up reasons WHY it's ok for you to do it so you can sleep at night.

One could argue that after renting the movie, one wouldn't rent it again because he/she has already seen it. The fact that the movie is copied makes that argument questionable again though. Hurrm... I dunno, this whole argument might actually be bullshit :paranoid: I'll shut up... :icon32:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.