Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        US court rules that p2p programs are illegal

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: US court rules that p2p programs are illegal

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 02:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I haven't got an english source for this, but for the dutchies, I got it from here:
http://www.nu.nl/news/547688/54/%27Inte ... jk%27.html

Basically they said that authors of p2p programs and those that distribute the programs (with illegal intentions) are responsible.

Not sure how water tight this is, since it's pretty much impossible that someone's intentions were illegal (see BitTorrent for example, his intentions were clearly not illegal) but Kazaa or Direct Connect could say the same.

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 02:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The interpretation of the ruling that I heard said that P2P software companies can be sued if the users commit acts of copyright infringement, not that the programs were illegal. I think that it will be hard to win a lawsuit of this type, as intent is very hard to prove and there are legit uses for P2P.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 02:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seems to me like blaming the creators of a browser for the fact that illegal sites can be reached. Or is that a bad comparison?

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 03:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the supreme court made a lot of retarded decisions in the past week or so

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 03:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't think so. Look at it like this: Guns are made to kill things, but that doesn't mean that the gun manufacturer knows that all their guns will be used to commit murder. A handgun is really only good for killing humans, but that doesn't mean that they'll always be used to commit murder.

A coarse analogy, to be sure, but I think it holds in this context.

edit: DOH! postus interruptus!

Banned
Banned
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 03:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Seems to me like blaming the creators of a browser for the fact that illegal sites can be reached. Or is that a bad comparison?

Nah that's a solid enough analogy.

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 03:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In the past week:
- Your home can be seized to build a Walmart
- RIAA/MPAA have another scapegoat in the music war, which will extend the culture of lawsuit and probably not bring us any closer to fairly priced media
- Separation of church and state can be circumvented by claiming you're paying historical homage

We're on the verge of finding out what happens when a country over-legislates itself

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 03:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

water tight? not even close.
"for illegal intentions". is kazaa for illegal intentions? not really, you can share livesets n the like if you want.

oh wait i see ryoki already covered all this shiat. owned then
US court can suck it

Banned
Banned
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 03:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd argue that Kazaa was fully about illegal file sharing, that it happened to have legal uses too is just a matter of coincidence.

It'd be hard to convincingly argue that point with regards to it's intended use though.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 04:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:

nope, sounds fine :icon14:

or even: cars are involved in hit-and-runs in which people are killed, therefore car manufacturers should be held partially liable for their deaths :dork:

presumably if i stab someone with a kitchen knife, it'll be Zanussi or Coalport in the dock with me...

US Supreme Court :lol:

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 05:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gotta love "smart people" thinking this shit up...

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 05:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The thing is, what you have to understand is that something drastic needs to be done. While everyone here may like to download stuff and your own personal downloads probably have no impact whatsoever on the market, multiply that by at least 5 million and you can see the impact it starts to have.

Cinema takings are well down this year. The music industry is saying that profits are at an all time low. Game companies are going bankrupt because of poor sales.

Now you may have no sympathy for these people, because they are ultimately richer than you, but it was only a matter of time before something big came into play to try and stop the sheer amount of piracy that is taking place now. It's out of control. Literally everyone I know has bought pirate DVD's over the past year. This was only to be expected when broadband was introduced and couple that with CD Writers and now DVD writers, it was completely fucking obvious where this was all heading, and part of me thinks "well, fucking blame Sony for making CD Writers. What the hell did you think people were going to use a PC with broadband internet and a CD writer for????"

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 05:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The problem is that the music industry's sales aren't down.
In the years they sued napster, they claimed sales went down while in fact they made more money than the year before. They're just big fat liars and their methods of getting "their" money are in some cases unacceptable.

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 06:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have no sympathy for the MPAA. I don't d/l movies, but I rent them and burn them. I'm still paying for them, and I feel that if I pay for it, I should damn well be able to watch it whenever I want. Netflix has to pay for the movies they rent out, and I pay Netflix.
The problem I have with going to the movies (which I still do on a regular basis) is that the ticket prices have become OBSCENELY expensive. $7 or $8 per ticket for an adult, and then the goddamn popcorn is literally almost as much. There is no reason on earth for popcorn to cost six fucking dollars, nor a soda four dollars. None.
Until the cost of going to the movies comes down (same for the price of CDs), then fuck the MPAA. They makes hojillions of dollars, and box office sales were down almost this far in 1985, and they certainly couldn't blame that on the internet.
Pirated applications and games are a different story. They're too expensive also, imo, but there's really no way to justify pirating them.

If P2P goes away, I won't lose any sleep. There are relatively cheap student versions of just about everything out there, and I have a job.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 06:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pauly wrote:
The thing is, what you have to understand is that something drastic needs to be done. While everyone here may like to download stuff and your own personal downloads probably have no impact whatsoever on the market, multiply that by at least 5 million and you can see the impact it starts to have.

Cinema takings are well down this year. The music industry is saying that profits are at an all time low. Game companies are going bankrupt because of poor sales.

Now you may have no sympathy for these people, because they are ultimately richer than you, but it was only a matter of time before something big came into play to try and stop the sheer amount of piracy that is taking place now. It's out of control. Literally everyone I know has bought pirate DVD's over the past year. This was only to be expected when broadband was introduced and couple that with CD Writers and now DVD writers, it was completely fucking obvious where this was all heading, and part of me thinks "well, fucking blame Sony for making CD Writers. What the hell did you think people were going to use a PC with broadband internet and a CD writer for????"

ok, piracy of just-released movies comes from crappy handheld camcorders in cinemas (a failure of cinema security) or from leaks in the distribution network. Without these P2P has nothing.

But largely it's because - as a poll in the UK recently suggested - most people don't see it as theft, and it isn't difficult to see why. If I steal your TV set, I have your TV and you don't. However if I copy one of your DVDs, you still have your movie, and now I have it too. That just doesn't seem like theft to many people.

And when you factor in the long tradition of videoing stuff off the TV and cassette copying...

However I don't buy those 'lost earnings' figures they quote for two simple reasons:

- they're guesstimates and nothing more. there's no way they can get an accurate figure
- they assume that everyone who ever pirated a movie or software would have bought it if they hadn't pirated it. This just isn't a tenable assumption, especially where expensive software like Photoshop and the like is concerned. Even with cheaper stuff like movies and games there's no guarantee that someone would have bought it if they hadn't copied it.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 06:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nightshade wrote:
$7 or $8 per ticket

lol, it's nearly that much in £££ in parts of the UK. Not just London either.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 06:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A movie ticket is expensive here too... like 15 euro's i think? New CD's are at least 20 euros, usually a few euro's more. I think we have somewhat cheaper popcorn in the theaters though.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 06:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
I think we have somewhat cheaper popcorn in the theaters though.

think again

you're also forced to get a 12 gallon bucket of coke, which noone ever finishes

not to mention the lack of legroom in cinema's
urk :(

eepberries
eepberries
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 06:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah. It's shocking. I spent 18$ yesterday just to see a movie. That included:

1 ticket
1 medium coke
1 order of nachos

:icon27:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 06:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
Pauly wrote:

ok, piracy of just-released movies comes from crappy handheld camcorders in cinemas (a failure of cinema security) or from leaks in the distribution network. Without these P2P has nothing.

But largely it's because - as a poll in the UK recently suggested - most people don't see it as theft, and it isn't difficult to see why. If I steal your TV set, I have your TV and you don't. However if I copy one of your DVDs, you still have your movie, and now I have it too. That just doesn't seem like theft to many people.

And when you factor in the long tradition of videoing stuff off the TV and cassette copying...

However I don't buy those 'lost earnings' figures they quote for two simple reasons:

- they're guesstimates and nothing more. there's no way they can get an accurate figure
- they assume that everyone who ever pirated a movie or software would have bought it if they hadn't pirated it. This just isn't a tenable assumption, especially where expensive software like Photoshop and the like is concerned. Even with cheaper stuff like movies and games there's no guarantee that someone would have bought it if they hadn't copied it.

they really shouldnt "market" is as stealing. they should make a "forge your own cash" analogy, IMO. that would be more effective i think

eepberries
eepberries
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 06:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Ryoki wrote:
I think we have somewhat cheaper popcorn in the theaters though.

think again

you're also forced to get a 12 gallon bucket of coke, which noone ever finishes

not to mention the lack of legroom in cinema's
urk :(

I actually probably would finish it (I'm usually not hungry, just thirsty) but I always try not to since I'd end up having to go to the bathroom in the middle of the movie as well as the fact that it just isn't great for you.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 06:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the last movie i went to it took awile to find a non-gooed up headrest the seats were sick.

and yea im not very long and i was cramed up like a mofo.

it wasnt a old theatre iether

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 06:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'm totally pro-piracy.

for the first time, mankind can share and reproduce something, in this case information, at nearly no cost. this is as much of a technical revolution as electricity was.

the producing people just need to realize this. currently, they're panicly trying to sustain the satus quo. they will fail sooner or later.

and... you don't need quadrillions of dollar to make good movies.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 07:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nightshade wrote:
I have no sympathy for the MPAA. I don't d/l movies, but I rent them and burn them. I'm still paying for them, and I feel that if I pay for it, I should damn well be able to watch it whenever I want. Netflix has to pay for the movies they rent out, and I pay Netflix.
The problem I have with going to the movies (which I still do on a regular basis) is that the ticket prices have become OBSCENELY expensive. $7 or $8 per ticket for an adult, and then the goddamn popcorn is literally almost as much. There is no reason on earth for popcorn to cost six fucking dollars, nor a soda four dollars. None.
Until the cost of going to the movies comes down (same for the price of CDs), then fuck the MPAA. They makes hojillions of dollars, and box office sales were down almost this far in 1985, and they certainly couldn't blame that on the internet.
Pirated applications and games are a different story. They're too expensive also, imo, but there's really no way to justify pirating them.

If P2P goes away, I won't lose any sleep. There are relatively cheap student versions of just about everything out there, and I have a job.

Netflix wasn't (isnt?) doing so well after Blockbuster started renting online, and has had to partner with Wal-Mart to try and help themselves get ahead of the game. Just because you pay Netflix (or Blockbuster) doesn't give you the right to burn movies that you don't own. I'm not seeing how you can circumvent that, knowing you're only paying a few dollars per DVD.

On to the price of movies at the theaters:

how is it the MPAA's fault that a bag of popcorn is $4? or a cup of Coke is $5? do they regulate those prices? that's a serious question.

$7 or $8 dollars for just the movie per adult is not a big deal. i can watch the top flicks on a DLP projector for the same price at my local Harkins theater. you pay for the experience (especially if you don't have an HT setup at home).

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 07:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pauly wrote:

i agree with almost all of your post, but am not sure about your stance on the movie industry's earnings. are you saying that they're down ONLY because of piracy? because, since the advent of the DVD, they've been steadily declining. DVD's and affordable Home Theaters have made it possible for your average consumer to have a decent setup at home. during this timeline of the dvd evolution is where realized i could put together something that was almost as good as a cinema for a few years worth of movie going money, in the comfort of my own home. i rarely go to the cinema anymore, unless i cannot wait for the DVD - The Lord Of The Rings series is a good example - AND i bought the extended versions when they were released. but i regress..

again, i don't think JUST piracy is to blame for the dying age of cinema-going, and for cinemas to get back on track they need to definitely lower their prices across the board.

i agree with you though that this is a huge ruling and it was just a matter of time before something like this happened. it's good because of the amount of piracy everywhere, but it's bad for the open source community and other free tradings (live music, etc). I'll not give up my BT so easily.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 07:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
i'm totally pro-piracy.

for the first time, mankind can share and reproduce something, in this case information, at nearly no cost. this is as much of a technical revolution as electricity was.

the producing people just need to realize this. currently, they're panicly trying to sustain the satus quo. they will fail sooner or later.

and... you don't need quadrillions of dollar to make good movies.

maybe if you were an artist of any sort, and it affected your bottom line, you'd be thinking different.

you seem to have this 'net rebel mentality - i think you'll look back on your post in a few years and say, "man, did i type that?"

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 07:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
A movie ticket is expensive here too... like 15 euro's i think?
yes, but: AH Filmweken!!!!!111111

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 07:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hm... i'll do some reading on the subject.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 07:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

this just in...supreme court rules i own all of fucking fagot pansies...

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 07:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

in case someone hasn't seen an english version of this article

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 07:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The decision seems to say that if people who make something don't modify their invention to prevent infringement they can be held liable for whatever it is people are doing with it.

Don't these kind of things set a precedent? If so, the implications are kindof nutty.

Oh well, there is a world outside America, a world I happen to reside in and one which will continue to make software with potentially illegal uses.

As for p2p piracy, plenty of artists broadly support it.
I download most of my music with a browser thse days though, though logically that should be covered by this ruling too.

As for the movies, I just go to a shop first and smuggle in cheap food and drink.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 08:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

iambowelfish wrote:
Oh well, there is a world outside America, a world I happen to reside in and one which will continue to make software with potentially illegal uses.

Sweden :)
just take a look at thepiratebay and their response letters to legal threats.

Approaching the singularity
Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 08:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the pirate bay is great, I get all my stuff from there

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 09:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pauly wrote:

...Cinema takings are well down this year. The music industry is saying that profits are at an all time low. Game companies are going bankrupt because of poor sales...

Well I think many people (myself included) get pissed off with going out, paying a bunch of cash to see a flick then sitting through a half an hour of commercials before the show starts. Downloading is starting to become more of a "fuck you" to the RIAA and MPAA since their endless lawsuits started. Fairly priced media, limited theatre commercials, and a good selection MP3 subscription services which are fairly priced and aren't DRM'ed out the arse. All of those things will actually help stop piracy. The lawsuits are simply fueling more IMO.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-28-2005 10:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:

Its only a good comparison if the browser creators are well aware that 95% of the sites that can be reached via their browser are illegal, and 95% of people who use their browser are browsing illegal sites.

If p2p were about the free exchange of legal software/music/movies, etc, and a few bad seeds happen to abuse it, then your analogy would hold water.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.