Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Best Linux distro?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 06-06-2005 11:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Postal wrote:
Alright, I've gotten everything set up and running, using Ubuntu (even got around a pesky resolution fuckup). The dual-boot thing didn't work out, so I just went and reformatted.

Thanks for all your help.

i'm curious as to what "didn't work out"?

page two \o/

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 01:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

duffman91 wrote:
Deathshroud wrote:
duffman91 wrote:
SOAPboy wrote:
SplishSplash wrote:
I hear ubuntu is very good.

Personally, I think Linux sucks balls.

For gaming, its terribly limited and a bitch to get things working right.. but beyond that, for a browsing OS its great..

What the fuck are you talking about? Getting games to work on any linux is the same. The BSD's however, are a challenge.

Perhaps he means getting Windows games to run in Linux?

Its the same process on all distributions of Linux.

K.. get steam to work..

get WoW to work.

Get Swat 4 To work..

Oh, and get them to work 100% speed and not be bogged down by Wine..

oh thats right, you cant..

It curdled, and then I couldn't drink it. So I mixed it with some water, and it was alright again.

I am now sick.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 02:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

gentoo's great. only been using it for a while - but it's getting rare that i need to boot into windows during the day (haven't looked at wine at all yet).

i know next to fuckall about linux, but the docs on the gentoo site are clear enough to get you through an install - and searching the forums turns up info to get over any stumbling blocks.

oh yeah!
oh yeah!
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 07:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
duffman91 wrote:
Deathshroud wrote:
duffman91 wrote:
SOAPboy wrote:
SplishSplash wrote:

For gaming, its terribly limited and a bitch to get things working right.. but beyond that, for a browsing OS its great..

What the fuck are you talking about? Getting games to work on any linux is the same. The BSD's however, are a challenge.

K.. get steam to work..

get WoW to work.

Get Swat 4 To work..

Either you're a moron, or you don't know how to read. I am saying that the process to get any game running in Linux is the same. Wether or not a game has poor performance is outside the scope of the comment.

If you re-read the earlier posts, you'd also see that I was refering to Ubuntu in respect to other distributions. Your post misled me to think you were singling out Ubuntu vs others.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 07:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

duffman91 wrote:
SOAPboy wrote:
duffman91 wrote:
Deathshroud wrote:
duffman91 wrote:
SOAPboy wrote:
SplishSplash wrote:

K.. get steam to work..

get WoW to work.

Get Swat 4 To work..

Either you're a moron, or you don't know how to read. I am saying that the process to get any game running in Linux is the same. Wether or not a game has poor performance is outside the scope of the comment.

If you re-read the earlier posts, you'd also see that I was refering to Ubuntu in respect to other distributions. Your post misled me to think you were singling out Ubuntu vs others.

Im the one who dont know how to read?

:icon19:

Your the idiot that though i was talking about your oh so important distro, when in fact im talking about linux in general..

Like i said ITS USELESS FOR GAMING..

It curdled, and then I couldn't drink it. So I mixed it with some water, and it was alright again.

I am now sick.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 07:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You do realise that the transgaming verison of wine is suited more for games, and that OpenGL should run at almost the same speed but DirectX is lacking because the engine has to convert the DirectX calls into OpenGL calls instead.

http://www.transgaming.com/

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 07:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 08:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
duffman91 wrote:
Deathshroud wrote:
duffman91 wrote:
SOAPboy wrote:
SplishSplash wrote:

K.. get steam to work..

get WoW to work.

Get Swat 4 To work..

not everyone spends their entire existance in front of a monitor playing games.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 08:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Once its to the point that i can put my disk in, install, and run the exe and be able to run the game in all its glory without being penalized for it do to shitty "emulation"

sorry.. linux is nice for SOME things but as a gaming OS.. ha.. no

I am now sick.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 08:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

WINE IS NOT A FUCKING EMULATOR

Do you even know how it works/

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 08:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PhoeniX wrote:
WHINE IS NOT A FUCKING EMULATOR

he knows how THAT works.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 08:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PhoeniX wrote:

i put '"s around Emulation because thats the best word i can come up with for it.. its not true emulation per say, but its close enough..

I am now sick.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 09:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

woudlent a Wrapper kind of suite it a little beter?

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 09:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AmIdYfReAk wrote:
woudlent a Wrapper kind of suite it a little beter?

:UP:

I am now sick.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 09:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

*toss's Soapboi a life raft*

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 09:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
PhoeniX wrote:

i put '"s around Emulation because thats the best word i can come up with for it.. its not true emulation per say, but its close enough..

Good. But with that analogy you could say any program which reads txt files emulate each other.

Just because Wine is capable of executing Windows code it does not emulate it per se.

Strogger Than You
Strogger Than You
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 09:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Christ, soap, not EVERYONE here is as obsessed with computer games as you. Some people realize that there is more to computers than playing World of Warcraft for 260 hours.

I've got an xbox for games, and a kickass linux box for programming.

Fuck off.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 10:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Postal wrote:
Christ, soap, not EVERYONE here is as obsessed with computer games as you. Some people realize that there is more to computers than playing World of Warcraft for 260 hours.

Fuck off.

told :lol:

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 10:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
Once its to the point that i can put my disk in, install, and run the exe and be able to run the game in all its glory without being penalized for it do to shitty "emulation"

And you don't put PS2 games in the Xbox either. The problem isn't the OS, there are games out there with linux versions. The problem is that game companies don't want to be bothered with porting the games over to linux. There are also issues with drivers. Nvidia has great linux drivers, where ATI have really shitty drivers.

I'm not a big fan for Transgaming. It works for some things but not everything. For the cost it's not worth it. If you keep your copy of Windows for 3+ years, it's cheaper than Transgaming and all your games work.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 11:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Postal wrote:

Fuck off.

We just happen to be on a gaming forum.. Thanks for "Trying" tho..

Seg wrote:
SOAPboy wrote:

And you don't put PS2 games in the Xbox either. The problem isn't the OS, there are games out there with linux versions. The problem is that game companies don't want to be bothered with porting the games over to linux. There are also issues with drivers. Nvidia has great linux drivers, where ATI have really shitty drivers.

I'm not a big fan for Transgaming. It works for some things but not everything. For the cost it's not worth it. If you keep your copy of Windows for 3+ years, it's cheaper than Transgaming and all your games work.

Aye, that still dont change the fact linux isnt a 'gaming' os

I am now sick.

Strogger Than You
Strogger Than You
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 11:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:

Eh? Quake 3? Works fine for me on linux.

WoW :icon10:

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 11:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Postal wrote:
Quote:

Eh? Quake 3? Works fine for me on linux.

WoW :icon10:

Its not just WoW that dont work..

Sure UT2k4, Q3A, work.. But i for the life if me cant find a GOOD way to get Steam to work, nor many of the other games i play like Trackmania Sunrise..

:(

Im not bashing nix here, its just not ment for gaming.. everything outside of gaming, its great..

I am now sick.

Strogger Than You
Strogger Than You
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 11:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Then don't use it for gaming.

Don't be koi
Don't be koi
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 04:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

*prepares screenshots*

Will take a while, new patch today.

edit:

[lvlshot]http://members.cox.net/illogical/wowitdoeswork.jpg[/lvlshot]

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 04:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

l0g1c wrote:
*prepares screenshots*

Will take a while, new patch today.

edit:

[lvlshot]http://members.cox.net/illogical/wowitdoeswork.jpg[/lvlshot]

Care to explain how?

And what kind of performance?

right now im running 1280x1024 full detail... gonna still be possible without dipping udner 30fps?

if it is, ill be all over it..

I am now sick.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 04:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

l0g1c - what is that you have there...what to download to get looks you have sir?

Don't be koi
Don't be koi
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 05:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gentoo linux running fluxbox windows manager
Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4GHz)
GeForce 3 Ti200

I get 30-50fps in 1600x1200 @ 72MHz with all the fancy bits turned down low. I cranked them all the way up to see what difference it made and I was ~15fps

It runs just about the way it did in WinXP Pro. I don't have an uber box, but maybe for the better to let people know what to expect on an average machine.

Oh, and I use the transgaming thing to run it and have been pretty satisfied (although sometimes it takes a while for transgaming to get their shit together on some bugs)

Transgaming charges $5 a month for the "subscription" You can pay the $5 once and get what you need and cancel (I think they might have like a 2-3 month minimum subscription). I pay the fee though to show my support for a good project.

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 06:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

l0g1c wrote:
Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4GHz)
GeForce 3 Ti200

I get 30-50fps in 1600x1200 @ 72MHz with all the fancy bits turned down low. I cranked them all the way up to see what difference it made and I was ~15fps

It runs just about the way it did in WinXP Pro. I don't have an uber box, but maybe for the better to let people know what to expect on an average machine.

Oh, and I use the transgaming thing to run it and have been pretty satisfied (although sometimes it takes a while for transgaming to get their shit together on some bugs)

Transgaming charges $5 a month for the "subscription" You can pay the $5 once and get what you need and cancel (I think they might have like a 2-3 month minimum subscription). I pay the fee though to show my support for a good project.

Heh, I actually payed and tried that Cedega thing back when I was playing CoH and thought it was utter trash. I had Fedora Core 2 I think at the time, and I couldn't even get it to install CoH.

But yea, I should try a stage 3 install? I read that handbook thing, and liked what I saw about that one tool that allows you to compile programs and features according to what you will be running.

Oh, and another complaint about Fedora is that its Up2Date proggy sucks ass. That thing froze up, and crashed on me so many times its rediculous. So, make sure to setup your yum.conf file with good repositories, and update that way. It's x100 better. Also Postal, check this website out. Awesome resource if you have any questions that need to be answered. :)

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 06-07-2005 06:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

l0g1c wrote:
Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4GHz)
GeForce 3 Ti200

Cool, i might check it out..

That gives me alot of hope for linux honestly

I am now sick.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-08-2005 10:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=45

That second link under i386 is the one I'm guessing I need to download and get going. After reading a few manuals I'm confused. Some say that Gentoo makes a cd that boots the computer and installs the drivers so you can download the actuall OS from the Internet.

Now my question is if I download that ISO and slap it on a CD do I still have to download anything else like they are talking about or is all I need on that CD?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-08-2005 10:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gentoo has some of the best docs I've ever seen for a distro. http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 06-08-2005 02:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Running Debian at the moment. Stable and easy to maintain. emerge may be > apt-get but only if you have lots of time and patience (I didn't have both). Did a desktop install the other day and am currently tailoring it to my needs. Q3W looks horrible with freetype fonts btw :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.