Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 08-21-2012 01:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
The Raid Redemption 10/10

Quite possibly the best action film ever made. See this immediately (in the theatre if you can).

Saw it, was pretty uninteresting. Hyperviolence isn't what makes an action movie.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 08-21-2012 01:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, aside from the ultraviolence (which is fucking awesome, goddamnit) it has an ace soundtrack, good editing, an admittedly thin plot but decent acting, excellent cinematography, etc. It blew every action flick i've seen in about ten years out of the water & i thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

...but you can't argue about taste and so on, so there's that :shrug:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-21-2012 02:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Dark Knight Rises - 9/10

I think I liked it more than The Dark Knight - it was brilliant.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-21-2012 08:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
................ A turd is a turd no matter what you compare it to.

I read that a couple of times GONNAFISTYA and :tear: :olo: :tear: :up:

PostPosted: 08-21-2012 09:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Well, aside from the ultraviolence (which is fucking awesome, goddamnit) it has an ace soundtrack, good editing, an admittedly thin plot but decent acting, excellent cinematography, etc. It blew every action flick i've seen in about ten years out of the water & i thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

...but you can't argue about taste and so on, so there's that :shrug:

The 10 minute uncut fight sequence in tom yum goong ruined all further martial arts movies for me :s

I just thought it was derivative the way they just made it another muay thai fight movie. Every single crackhead in the project knows muay thai? Yeah, ok. It just got boring. As an Indonesian movie they could have done something unique by using silat or another indonesian martial art as it's main draw or sth, but instead I felt they were just ripping off Ong Bak/Tom Yum Goong.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-21-2012 11:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ted - 8/10

Extremely funny film, usual Macfarlane affair, I liked it. I liked it a lot.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-22-2012 11:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Avengers. Good flick, will watch again.

7/10.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-22-2012 02:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bourne Legacy - first hour and a half of the movie: 8/10, last half hour: 4/10

SPOILER ALERT

a very 'front-heavy' movie that starts up with a good exposition, weaves the story in with the Bourne Ultimatum quite well, but then there's a split-level chase that rips off the similar chase in that movie, then a shitty motorcycle chase that recycles the Paris car chase from Bourne Identity and the Moscow car chase from Bourne Supremacy (but nowhere near as good as either) and then the movie just ends

wtf

(also, sequel alert)

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-23-2012 12:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dark Knight Rises.
liked it alot more than Dark Knight (which I didnt like too much). less raspiness = better.

also, dat anne hathaway. and dat explosions-scene.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-23-2012 01:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I liked dark knight better. It seemed far more concentrated. Dark Knight Rises wants to do too much in the space of one movie imo.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-23-2012 07:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Total Recall (remake)

As expected totally :D and enjoyable enough that I will see a second time, and that's unusual for me

8.5/10

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 03:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Expendables 2 = 8/10 - Finally. This is the movie I expected the first time around: a cheesy, 80's action-feeling throwback with one-liners, nearly non-stop action, a bazillion explosions and an over-acted bad guy (lol) with "acting" being a serious piss-take. Sly loves the gore and this film will not disappoint in that regard. Everyone got a respectable amount of screen time to justify their names in the credits and in addition to looking like the action-heroes they're supposed to be, every-single-one-of-them got to shoot a big fucking gun. :up:

Just pretend the first movie never existed.

SPOILER ALERT

Jet Li makes an early exit from the film. I was kinda hoping that he'd come back at the end for the last boss fight (instead of Stallone) as a deus ex machina and show the entire planet just who the best martial-arts action hero is by beating the living snot out of Jean-Claude Van Damme. But alas, it IS a Sylvester Stallone movie after all.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 08-29-2012 12:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interesting, i absolutely hated the first and didn't even finish watching it, but that sounds promising. Will download.

The Dark Knight Rises 7/10
Entertaining, not nearly as good as the second in my opinion. Better than the first though. They missed some chances i thought, the whole people's court scenes would have been much stronger if they'd killed some Wallstreet types everyone wants to see dead instead of cops, which made them seem like the bad guys. They could have made Bane's revolution much more real, which would have put cryptofascist Wayne in a much tighter spot. Ah well eh.

God Bless America 7/10
Thought it was going to be a comedy, instead it was more of a very dark indictment of Western pop culture. Quite liked it though.

21 jump street 7/10
Unexpectedly funny actually, produced more than a few laughs from me.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-29-2012 06:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bourne Legacy = 7/10 - Decent action flick and for once it's not the tired "spy with amnesia" we've seen forever. I agree with semencan, there's a point in the movie where it turns into a pointlessly-extended chase scene with blurry shaky cam and a Terminator-like bad guy pursuing them. It's almost as if Frau Farbissina screamed "Bring in the GUARDS!"

I guess the Hollywood jews financing the money-cow wanted a crescendo ending of...like...action or sumthin. Then the exact same ending of all the previous Bourne films, including the same music and tone of scene. This will probably be a 3 - 27 movie franchise but I'm wondering if they'll stay with the Bourne branding tie-in or give it its own. I don't know what they'd call the next one except "The Bourne Continuation".

Oh and Rachel Weisz simply doesn't age. I'd unload on her face anyday.

P.S. Since I had to suffer seeing this photo during my search for Frau Farbissina images, you can all share in my pain.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-01-2012 08:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuck off with that ugly massive pic, GFY. Don't want my reviews on the same page.

If I was a moderator you'd get a "You have been moderated" pic in its place :tomato: (which would not be massive in size itself, btw.)

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-01-2012 09:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lvlshotted at 640 but ok.
looks like someone needs a 21:9 monitor

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-01-2012 09:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's still too big. A 21:9 monitor wouldn't change the size of the pic, it would just add space to the left and right of it.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-01-2012 11:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just to go all leftfield and highbrow for a moment, i did see the merchant of venice last night (actual play) performed by the creation theatre who do these high tempo arrangements with minimal set and actors playing multiple parts. i give the performance 8/10 but the actual play only 6/10 on account of the malformed structure that goes from some good stuff about the outsider who has to rely on the law for his life and liberty (because as a despised Jew he doesn't have the social bonds of the Christian majority) - but then lurches into a stupid farce involved women dressed as men and some wedding rings

too many endings, Will, too many endings. Dostoevsky would've aced this shit

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 09-01-2012 11:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
Fuck off with that ugly massive pic, GFY. Don't want my reviews on the same page.

If I was a moderator you'd get a "You have been moderated" pic in its place :tomato: (which would not be massive in size itself, btw.)

Sorry I can't hear you over the screaming and the sound of your CRT melting...

Last edited by GONNAFISTYA on 09-01-2012 11:51 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-01-2012 11:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sounds like a monty python sketch :up:

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 09-01-2012 02:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Total Recall was shit. The worst bits were all the little nods to the original which just reminds you that a much better version of the film already exists. I liked the sci-fi Deus Ex type sets but come on, it wasn't even on fucking Mars. Boo.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 09-10-2012 11:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the raid: redemption - 8/10
hadn't even heard of this until i read about it here - solid entertainment without the usual flabbiness of martial arts cinema from thailand/indonesia (both seem to have the same dawdling, soap opera-like attitude to story progression in action movies). if you know martial arts then it probably is a bit boring/samey, but i don't, so it was actually sort of nice to see what looked like the same style all the way through. what made it stand out was the fact that it occasionally made me shout things like "fuck, i bet that hurt" at the screen - can't even remember the last action movie that did that.

feedback wrote:
The 10 minute uncut fight sequence in tom yum goong ruined all further martial arts movies for me :s

going to watch this as soon as dinner arrives.

expendables 2 - 6.5/10
feels more like expendables version 2 than part 2. does everything the first one tried to do and failed, but here it sort of works.

would've been much better without chuck norris, he adds nothing and one of the people sitting on the row in front of us (who looked maybe 20/25 years old) thought it was the sidekick from 'home improvement' and didn't understand why he was in an action movie - he gets one cool kill, but anyone could've taken that. randy couture needn't have bothered turning up and bruce willis is pretty damn awful too, but everyone else looks like they're having a lot of fun - especially JCVD. if you want an entertaining action movie that clocks in under 2 hours, this is a safe enough bet.

cabin in the woods - 6/10
another safe bet, MTV/Joss Whedon takes on a classic twilight zone theme. Struggles with pacing and being a bit too clive barker'ish, but has lots of really nice ideas.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-10-2012 11:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://swrevisited.wordpress.com/tag/adywan/

The way Star Wars should be. E5 on the way.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-10-2012 11:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Day the Earth Stood Still 3/10

Keanu Reeves.....nuff said.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 09-10-2012 12:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Keanu Reeves was only one of the million problems with that "remake". :down:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 09-10-2012 12:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh yeah...I forgot..

The Raid: Redemption = 6/10 - Someone here had mentioned it so I grabbed a torrent and it was decent. Considering martial arts movies bore me stupid, this one was pretty entertaining.

And I agree with 4days in that ALOT of the stunts looked genuinely painful, which gave it a more authentic feel.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 09-19-2012 12:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

resident evil retribution - 1/10
spent most of the movie (the bits where i wasn't just looking at the leading lady) wondering what the fuck was going on - bit pointless picking holes in a such a crayon-chewing derpathon, but one major gripe was that the umbrella facility itself was so utterly ridiculous. the lighting system alone for an installation that size would be more complex than the LHC and NASA combined, let alone the plumbing - and it's underneath an ice field normally only accessible by nuclear submarine. really? scifi has to have at least a vague air of realism if it's going to work at all. where do they get the resources to produce all those clones? how do they keep themselves in lemon-scented napkins and paperclips? This honestly felt like it took less time to write than it did to watch.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 09-19-2012 12:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake 3 Tribulation

watch it here

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-19-2012 10:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
The Expendables 2 = 8/10 - Finally. This is the movie I expected the first time around: a cheesy, 80's action-feeling throwback with one-liners, nearly non-stop action, a bazillion explosions and an over-acted bad guy (lol) with "acting" being a serious piss-take. Sly loves the gore and this film will not disappoint in that regard. Everyone got a respectable amount of screen time to justify their names in the credits and in addition to looking like the action-heroes they're supposed to be, every-single-one-of-them got to shoot a big fucking gun. :up:

Just pretend the first movie never existed.

SPOILER ALERT

Jet Li makes an early exit from the film. I was kinda hoping that he'd come back at the end for the last boss fight (instead of Stallone) as a deus ex machina and show the entire planet just who the best martial-arts action hero is by beating the living snot out of Jean-Claude Van Damme. But alas, it IS a Sylvester Stallone movie after all.

Just saw The Expendables 2

Yes predictable and enjoyable at the same time. Love those head shots and the appearances of the old (should be in a museum) actors :olo: :up: and like GONNAFISTYA well worth the 8/10

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 09-19-2012 11:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Dictator - 6/10

Funny film, some fine moments of comedy but some tedious bits too. Cameo's are ace

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 09-20-2012 11:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
Bourne Legacy - first hour and a half of the movie: 8/10, last half hour: 4/10

SPOILER ALERT

a very 'front-heavy' movie that starts up with a good exposition, weaves the story in with the Bourne Ultimatum quite well, but then there's a split-level chase that rips off the similar chase in that movie, then a shitty motorcycle chase that recycles the Paris car chase from Bourne Identity and the Moscow car chase from Bourne Supremacy (but nowhere near as good as either) and then the movie just ends

wtf

(also, sequel alert)

saw that too, worst of the series, good thing i didn't pay for it

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 09-20-2012 05:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Safe - 6/10

Best Jason Statham movie ever made.

Avengers - 1/10

Bonus point awarded because it eventually ended.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-08-2012 05:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the raid, redemption

action movie done right. great fight scenes. check it out. 9/10

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-08-2012 07:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Prometheus - 6/10

On my phone so I won't type my review now...but I did kind of enjoy it

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 10-08-2012 09:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I also quite enjoyed Prometheus.

I'm reading a lot of hate for it online, because it apparently isn't "hard sci fi" enough.
Pretty pathetic considering it 's in the same universe as the Alien movies, and I haven't read a lot of hate for them.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.