Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Official Q3W EU Constitution Voting Behaviour Thread

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 04:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
MKJ wrote:
i cant vote ( :o )

Why not btw?

i accidentally threw out my bill :icon27:

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 04:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:icon19:

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 04:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
Pext wrote:
...the EU will speak with one voice!

And what will that one voice say? Will it state the foreign policy positions of a majority of Europeans? Not fucking likely since foreign policy is already considered an elite preserve. National governments have enough trouble finding unity for their own foreign policy positions (i.e. the Iraq war) without multiplying the difficulty by 25 or however many EU members there are now.

well... the majority of euros was against the iraq war. if there would have been a foreign minister, the so called 'coalition of the willing' ( :icon29: ) would just not have happened the way it did.
both spains and the uk population were majorly opposed to the war... but the gov. decided to suck some US cock. well... spain is a bit different now after madrid and they sided with france and germany again.

diabolical besier hugger in disguise
diabolical besier hugger in disguise
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 05:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think a lot of people totaly, totaly dont know what it means. even though I didnt really follow whats been said, I knew I'd vote yes right away.. Did a test for the sake of the %
m'off to vote now

Resultaat

Uw opvattingen komen voor
82%
overeen met de Grondwet.

Mate van overeenkomst met de grondwet per thema

Europese instellingen
87%
Sociaal beleid en economie
50%
Milieu en landbouw
100%
Justitie
87%
Defensie en Buitenlands beleid
87%

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 05:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

theres that biased test i was talking about :icon14: gg

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 05:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what most people fail to see is that the idea behind the european union is not about politics. it's about ideals.

seeing the european union only as a unified economy zone is completely wrong. it allready started with the french revolution and the revolutions in 1848. if you want to know what it is about, listen to beethovens 'ode to joy':

Quote:
Alle Menschen werden Brüder,
Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 06:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I obviously don't have any say in the process, but I personally think there should be more Euros looking at the comparisons to the US for this constitution. There are very strong analogies, but I don't really see anyone discussing them. Which seems very odd, considering the popular sentiment of Euros towards the US right now.

I'm not sure if it's because it just isn't noticed, or perhaps because you guys don't consider yourselves anything like us (which is probably true in a lot of ways, but still irrelevant).
But you should remember -- the United States started out as 50 states that were almost completely autonomous, except for very necessary nation-wide laws and regulations. The states were supposed to retain full control over decisions that affected the local populations, and the federal government was only there to provide a unified face to the world, to protect the country from aggressors, and to handle problems between states, or problems that just couldn't be handled at the state level.

It's been a little over 200 years now, and look how much has changed. I personally feel that if you guys think you are immune to this type of gradual encroachment of centralized decision-making, then it is at least a little short-sighted (at worst I might even say hubris).

The reason I say this, is because I love the diversity that's seen in European countries. It is wider than there ever was in the states (on a legal/institutional level) - and I would hate to see that character and diversity take a back seat to the ideology of international politics and economics, which is what this constitution seems to be all about.

Just my $0.02 of course.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 06:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:

Oh yes Emka: Bij de afdeling Burgerzaken van het stadhuis kun je een nieuwe oproepkaart krijgen. Neem hiervoor wel een geldig paspoort of rijbewijs mee! :) :)

Last edited by Ryoki on 06-01-2005 06:11 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 06:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Ryoki wrote:
MKJ wrote:

Why not btw?

there can be only one :icon1:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 06:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
MKJ wrote:
Ryoki wrote:
MKJ wrote:

Why not btw?

Oh yes Emka: Bij de afdeling Burgerzaken van het stadhuis kun je een nieuwe oproepkaart krijgen. Neem hiervoor wel een geldig paspoort of rijbewijs mee! :) :)

im one of the many dutch0s who dont have passports on them unless needed

oh well

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 07:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Going to vote Yes!

Heil Europa!

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 07:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

R00k wrote:

i certainly agree on some parts of what you said - if an european government is established and becomes an institution people can identify with, people will slowly start to see themselves as europeans, not as for example french anymore.

it is obvious that an union reduces cultural differences, as it reduces political differencies.
thinking that each country will completely maintain its political identity is wrong. and the economic unity you're speaking of is, to most parts, allready there.

concerning culture: i don't think that much will change. people in france will still be using a bol to drink their coffee in 100 years. and germans will still be eating bratwurst at the biergarten :D ... and english beer will still suck big time ;)
the thing that reduces the rate at wich an equalisation will happen is the language barrier in europe. you could argue that european television will reduce differences (well... it certainly will. but not the essential parts of a culture) but i think the key aspect is migration - and this is where language becomes a huge obstacle for most.
but maybe we see a social cut: the eductated and rich will be able to choose their home freely but the uneducated will have to stick to their homecountry in most cases.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 07:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Going to vote Yes!

Heil Europa!

I've saved a soul today :) :)

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 07:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

btw - are there any estimates yet?

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 07:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It seems to me that European countries could achieve most of the things they are looking for, without drafting an internationally binding constitution. Countries can draw up agreements for economic and political solidarity.
It sounds to me almost like you guys are voting for a central, federal government over all of Europa, in order to maintain an outward appearance of solidarity, and give you more collective bargaining power in world events. At least that's the way the politicians seem to be looking at it.
That doesn't seem like much of a tradeoff for the general populace.

Aside from not having to show your passport and exchange currency when going to other European countries, what exactly are the benefits for you guys?

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 07:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's still 55-60 percent "no"

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 07:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

R00k wrote:
It seems to me that European countries could achieve most of the things they are looking for, without drafting an internationally binding constitution. Countries can draw up agreements for economic and political solidarity.
It sounds to me almost like you guys are voting for a central, federal government over all of Europa, in order to maintain an outward appearance of solidarity, and give you more collective bargaining power in world events. At least that's the way the politicians seem to be looking at it.
That doesn't seem like much of a tradeoff for the general populace.

Aside from not having to show your passport and exchange currency when going to other European countries, what exactly are the benefits for you guys?
better trade options, more security, improved co-operation on fighting crime, environment policies, general health policies, more control of the national governments on "Brussel" (i.e. center of EU power)

And yes, more political solidarity and one stance on foreign policy (and no, it won't be only France, Germany's voice)

PostPosted: 06-01-2005 08:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Count'em up.

Superpowers and New kids on the block:
-US
-EU
-China (South east Asia)

As Ryoki said, I hope the more regressive EU nations don't pull Europe back from the social progress it's made so far.

Be sure to ignore the pope whenever possible.

PostPosted: 06-01-2005 08:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

To clarify, I'm not necessarily supportive of the EU but I will watch this unfolding experiment over the next 50 years.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 08:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

saturn wrote:
better trade options, more security, improved co-operation on fighting crime, environment policies, general health policies, more control of the national governments on "Brussel" (i.e. center of EU power)

And yes, more political solidarity and one stance on foreign policy (and no, it won't be only France, Germany's voice)

What do you mean by 'better trade options'?

And I'm not sure I follow the more security. It seems that having to show identification between countries would actually provide more security than otherwise. I can understand the improved crime-fighting cooperation, but by the same token, if I had to show a passport to enter every state in the US, then it would be fairly easy to track down any criminals to begin with. I don't know what the current extradition laws are like over there, but isn't it fairly easy to have criminals prosecuted where their crime was commited in most European countries already?

As far as general health policies, you're a doctor with a lot of experience in that area so I should probably take your word on it. But if there are centralized decisions made on healthcare, and everyone in the EU pays taxes for public healthcare, how long do you think it would take for serious issues to arise about cultural things such as the Netherlands' more lax drug laws, and the health issues that arise from them? People will complain about paying for drug addicts' healthcare until something has to be done about it.

And you say that larger, more influential countries won't have a stronger voice in foreign policy matters than all the others, but that doesn't sound very realistic to me. Any delegated, decision-making body is a power struggle by definition, and to assume that the countries with the most at stake, the most invested, the largest populations, the largest economies, and the strongest previous foreign connections will allow the other countries to have a strong influence over the way they operate and/or make decisions, is a mighty dangerous assumption.

Also to consider is the reason the politicians have been pushing for the constitution to begin with: political solidarity for more influence, economic solidarity for more influence... These are selfish ideals to begin with, so it seems like quite a stretch to me that the people drafting this constitution are doing it for "the greater good of all of the peoples of Europe" as much as they're doing it out of a desire for more power and influence.

And I want to be clear that I'm not trying to undermine Euros' quest for more power and influence - I think you should have it. But I also think there are other ways to have it without putting the entire population under a single umbrella of law.

Also, like seremtan said earlier, historically democratic/republican representation has only worked when it is a grassroots movement from the people. If the people aren't yearning for it, and the politicians are, then I don't see how it's much different from what the best-case-scenario in Iraq could have been -- a people who don't respect what they have because they did not ask for it, and possibly later a growing resentment when they find that their identities and self-determination might be in the hands of someone else they don't even know, who is claiming to represent them.

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 08:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

saturn wrote:
And yes, more political solidarity and one stance on foreign policy

Seriously, Sat, I have no idea what that means.

I also have a serious problem with the unified healthcare thing. The working time directive has already totally fucked up medical training in the UK to the point at which doctors are hired preferentially from outside the EU because they actually have the necessary experience (I accept that this is partly because the NHS can't find its arse with both hands). Healthcare isn't one homogeneous entity, different areas have different needs.... and I'm sure you've noticed that trying to treat someone with whom you have no common language is practically impossible. Because of cultural differences, generally speaking even when you can get a translation, it doesn't make any fucking sense; trying to educate the patient is insanely hard.

More to the point, answer me this: If the EU's so fucking great, why is it that the Scandinavian countries have a much higher standard of living?

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 09:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't the EU want to set the maximum speed limit over the whole of europe to 60mph? Fuck that, and fuck those Euros too. I'd vote no if weget the vote.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 10:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

speedlimit 120 km/h is great. you're so much faster. we were doing ~120 km/h in belgium on our way back from the UK... and as soon as we crossed the frontier to germany (no speedlimit there...) we were forced down to 100 km/h because every one was driving 'as fast as possible'.

speed cap is usefull.

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 11:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah well 2 greens so far

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 11:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

37% yes - 63% no atm

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 01:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

saturn wrote:
Ryoki wrote:
Going to vote Yes!

Heil Europa!

im sure he was kidding

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 02:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i agree with rook on the issue. just look at our (the US of A) situation. our federal government has severely overstepped it's boundary and is continually undermining our states' rights to govern themselves. i've always been, and always will be anti EU.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 02:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

R00k wrote:
I obviously don't have any say in the process, but I personally think there should be more Euros looking at the comparisons to the US for this constitution. There are very strong analogies, but I don't really see anyone discussing them. Which seems very odd, considering the popular sentiment of Euros towards the US right now.

I'm not sure if it's because it just isn't noticed, or perhaps because you guys don't consider yourselves anything like us (which is probably true in a lot of ways, but still irrelevant).
But you should remember -- the United States started out as 50 states that were almost completely autonomous, except for very necessary nation-wide laws and regulations. The states were supposed to retain full control over decisions that affected the local populations, and the federal government was only there to provide a unified face to the world, to protect the country from aggressors, and to handle problems between states, or problems that just couldn't be handled at the state level.

It's been a little over 200 years now, and look how much has changed. I personally feel that if you guys think you are immune to this type of gradual encroachment of centralized decision-making, then it is at least a little short-sighted (at worst I might even say hubris).

The reason I say this, is because I love the diversity that's seen in European countries. It is wider than there ever was in the states (on a legal/institutional level) - and I would hate to see that character and diversity take a back seat to the ideology of international politics and economics, which is what this constitution seems to be all about.

Just my $0.02 of course.

OTOH, there's Canada -- provincial powers are gradually increasing to the point where the Federal government is becoming little more than a redistributor of taxes to the provinces.

There was a really great article that gave a history of this process over the last 20 years in February's Walrus, but I can't seem to find the text of the article online. If I can dig it up at home, I'll scan it (if you're really interested in recent Canadian politics....)

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 05:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dnoyc wrote:
i agree with rook on the issue. just look at our (the US of A) situation. our federal government has severely overstepped it's boundary and is continually undermining our states' rights to govern themselves. i've always been, and always will be anti EU.

Like that slavery thing

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-01-2005 11:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i was going to post a big praise be to rook speech, but i'll just say: rook, you sir, rock :icon14:

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 06-02-2005 02:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

R00k wrote:
saturn wrote:

What do you mean by 'better trade options'?

And I'm not sure I follow the more security. It seems that having to show identification between countries would actually provide more security than otherwise. I can understand the improved crime-fighting cooperation, but by the same token, if I had to show a passport to enter every state in the US, then it would be fairly easy to track down any criminals to begin with. I don't know what the current extradition laws are like over there, but isn't it fairly easy to have criminals prosecuted where their crime was commited in most European countries already?

As far as general health policies, you're a doctor with a lot of experience in that area so I should probably take your word on it. But if there are centralized decisions made on healthcare, and everyone in the EU pays taxes for public healthcare, how long do you think it would take for serious issues to arise about cultural things such as the Netherlands' more lax drug laws, and the health issues that arise from them? People will complain about paying for drug addicts' healthcare until something has to be done about it.

And you say that larger, more influential countries won't have a stronger voice in foreign policy matters than all the others, but that doesn't sound very realistic to me. Any delegated, decision-making body is a power struggle by definition, and to assume that the countries with the most at stake, the most invested, the largest populations, the largest economies, and the strongest previous foreign connections will allow the other countries to have a strong influence over the way they operate and/or make decisions, is a mighty dangerous assumption.

Also to consider is the reason the politicians have been pushing for the constitution to begin with: political solidarity for more influence, economic solidarity for more influence... These are selfish ideals to begin with, so it seems like quite a stretch to me that the people drafting this constitution are doing it for "the greater good of all of the peoples of Europe" as much as they're doing it out of a desire for more power and influence.

And I want to be clear that I'm not trying to undermine Euros' quest for more power and influence - I think you should have it. But I also think there are other ways to have it without putting the entire population under a single umbrella of law.

Also, like seremtan said earlier, historically democratic/republican representation has only worked when it is a grassroots movement from the people. If the people aren't yearning for it, and the politicians are, then I don't see how it's much different from what the best-case-scenario in Iraq could have been -- a people who don't respect what they have because they did not ask for it, and possibly later a growing resentment when they find that their identities and self-determination might be in the hands of someone else they don't even know, who is claiming to represent them.

Yesterday I quickly jotted down a few lines because I had to leave. First thing, with better trade options i meant that it's easier for companies to trade and sell goods in the EU with less borders and rules, it's easier for EU citizens to work in other EU countries. Harmonised standards will create a more efficient market that can stand up against the American and Asian markets.
It's been like this already and handled with EU laws, but that's the main point; 90 percent of the EU constitution proposition already exist in many EU laws. If you merge all those different agreements, laws, into a basic constitution you lay the ground for a more unified Europe. That's my idea of course.

Security is a big issue now of course and fighting the war against terrorism (lol) is the big catchphrase. We already had Interpol to fight crime across borders, we have NATO, but maybe Europe needs one unified army (that's a large discussion point). We need the same immigration policies, look at the refugee camp at Sangatte (Fr) where thousands of people try to travel through the Eurotunnel to the UK where immigration laws are less strict. Spanish and Italian beaches are flooded with North-African and Albanic refugees every night. I don't blame them for wanting to live in prosperous Europe. But you see, this is a problem that needs a multi-country tackle.

I'm not sure about health policies, but one thing is that every baby and child in the EU will get the same vaccinations for example. That's the general health thing I'm talking about.

Of course I know that big countries like Germany and especially France will try and use their (historical) influence to persuade other and smaller countries to follow their vision. But you need many countries to accept a proposal for a new law and also a few countries to deny a new proposal. They wanted to remove the veto right on many levels of decision-making since that would create a unwieldy bureaucratic institution with 25 countries.

I have lost focus a bit now, so I'll finish with the reason why Dutch citizens have massively voted "no" against the proposal of a EU constitution. The EU was officially established in 1992 with the Treaty of Maastricht, but many aspects of it existed already, going back to the 50's. It first started with the Benelux, an union started in '48 or something between Belgium, Netherlands and Luxemburg. A few years the EEC (preceder of the EU) was formed with West-Germany, France and Italy. I tell you this because the intention and ideals to unite Europe exist for almost 60 years now. Europe didn't want a destructive World War on their territory anymore. The EU was created to unify disparate countries and promote cooperation. The process took a long time and progressed slowly, but with great results.

The developments have gone quickly the past few years. Introduction of the Euro and 10 new members added in 2003 (not sure what year lol) were already a big obstacle to overcome and caused dissatisfied feelings among citizens. Especially when prices went up with the introduction of the euro. And now a EU constitution, it's going too quickly for citizens of France and Holland, two of the original founding fathers. People feel like they're losing control and identity and the national governments have failed in explaining the need for a EU constitution. And when the overall people's voice was NO a few weeks ago, the Dutch government rushed in a YES campaign that felt like propaganda to many normal people.

Yesterday 63% went voting and 62% voted NO. That's a strong message that will be abided by the parlement though they don't have to accept the outcome of the referendum. We need to think again about the European Union and slow down. Maybe it would have been better if there was a proposal for a constitution when the EU still had 15 countries. And a lot of people in France and Holland have voted no because they're dissatisfied with their goverment and ministers, so it's not persé a NO against the unification of Europe.

A roommate studies Rights and he had to study the whole Constitution. He said there were too many things too vague and a few loopholes, so he would have voted no if he could have found his voting card.

I have voted YES.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 06-02-2005 02:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Geebs wrote:
saturn wrote:
And yes, more political solidarity and one stance on foreign policy

Seriously, Sat, I have no idea what that means.

I also have a serious problem with the unified healthcare thing. The working time directive has already totally fucked up medical training in the UK to the point at which doctors are hired preferentially from outside the EU because they actually have the necessary experience (I accept that this is partly because the NHS can't find its arse with both hands). Healthcare isn't one homogeneous entity, different areas have different needs.... and I'm sure you've noticed that trying to treat someone with whom you have no common language is practically impossible. Because of cultural differences, generally speaking even when you can get a translation, it doesn't make any fucking sense; trying to educate the patient is insanely hard.

More to the point, answer me this: If the EU's so fucking great, why is it that the Scandinavian countries have a much higher standard of living?
it's probably more about general health and not the smaller specialized areas. I live in a big city with 160 nationalities (Rotterdam is a city with the biggest harbour) so I know all about language difficulties. At the anesthesiology department of the academic hospital there are about 100 MDs (50 residents and 50 supervisors/specialists) with 18 nationalities. German, Italian, Irish, Slovakian, Belgian, Icelandic, etc. It's great, cause all of them speak English AND Dutch properly, which is a prerequisite before they start working here in this hospital.

Scandinavia has Ikea, Nokia, H&M. Fuck 'em.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 06-02-2005 02:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PhoeniX wrote:
Don't the EU want to set the maximum speed limit over the whole of europe to 60mph? Fuck that, and fuck those Euros too. I'd vote no if weget the vote.

where did you get that from?

I seriously hope that you have to drive on the PROPER side of the road one day. And yes, that's on the RIGHT side. Bloody limeys

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 06-02-2005 02:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dnoyc wrote:

You're probably British too.

(p.s. that's not a compliment)

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 06-02-2005 02:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
saturn wrote:
Ryoki wrote:
Going to vote Yes!

Heil Europa!

im sure he was kidding

why?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.