Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Has anyone ever seen that "natural cures" infomerc

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Has anyone ever seen that "natural cures" infomerc

guru
guru
PostPosted: 05-29-2005 09:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

With that Kevin Trudeau guy? It is on about every minute here, on a different channel. I can't believe anyone is buying this thing, nor that Keven Trudeau is still allowed to be on TV making claims like "if your body's pH is alkaline you cannot get cancer." Or that there are cures to virtually every disease (diabetes, cancer, etc.) that the drug companies don't want you to know about.

There truly are suckers born every minute. Students of mine asked about this book last week, many of the irate, not at the infomercial for being full of shit, but at the government and drug companies for apparently suppressing all these natural cures. This shows the power of emotional arguments with people, as well as their desire to 'root for the underdog' against the big government groups that are invariably depicted as inherently evil.

Anyhow, never consider buying this book. If you have, kick yourself in the balls and smack yourself in the head with a hammer. You deserve it.

PostPosted: 05-29-2005 10:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LoL that reminds me of that Lakota shit.

eminent
eminent
PostPosted: 05-29-2005 10:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:icon19: Lakota shit is halarious.

Some native dude talking about some crap and at the bottom is says "Star of dances with wolves." :icon19:

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 05-29-2005 10:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have seen it a few times while I was staying up really late. I'm not sure if I've seen it all, but I saw the "if you're body is alkaline you cannot get cancer" part.

Who is this guy? Where did he come from? Is there any validity at all to any of his more outrageous claims?

PostPosted: 05-29-2005 10:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Those fucking ion bracelets REALLY crack me up though. I mean WTF!?

eminent
eminent
PostPosted: 05-29-2005 10:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The best are the radio infomercial. I went to sleep very late one day, but didn't feel like sleeping at 4 am so I turned on the radio.

Anyway you hear some dude talking about some crap that defies aging and how people in some Japanese villages don't age because of some crap in the food. Then they get the phone calls and they are obviously pre-recorded and scripted to hell. “OMG I love your product, I’m running out I need to buy more where can I buy more!” “I’m glad you asked this important question, just call” then you hear a different voice telling a phone number on top of the old voice because it’s all prerecorded in a different area. :icon19:

guru
guru
PostPosted: 05-29-2005 10:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mogul wrote:
I have seen it a few times while I was staying up really late. I'm not sure if I've seen it all, but I saw the "if you're body is alkaline you cannot get cancer" part.

Who is this guy? Where did he come from? Is there any validity at all to any of his more outrageous claims?

Kevin Trudeau. He has been sued numerous times, and the FTC has banned him from ever selling a health supplement, etc., on tv. All he can sell now are publications. There is NO validity to virtually ANYTHING he says. His lies are not just misleading, they are dangerous, because they instill false hope and can make people forego effective medical therapy in favor of these bogus natural cures. INterestingly, apparently the book doesn't really contain any of the natural cures he talks about on the infomercial. Instead, it is a long-winded advertisement for subscribing to his website, which, for 9.99 a month, will give you the real 'natural cures.'

But he is full of shit, completely.

Do a google search for Kevin Trudeau along with the term FTC.

You'll find all sorts of shit.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 05-29-2005 10:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kracus wrote:

Actually, and don't take this the wrong way, but after reading your random thoughts, you seem like the type of person who would be excited about the prospect of a bracelet that says it will balance your bioenergeticmagnetic field and put it back at one with the walls that bound the universe.
:p

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-29-2005 10:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i believe optimizing your bodies ph will increase its efficiency.

not with suplments tho

guru
guru
PostPosted: 05-29-2005 11:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Depends. Your body does a pretty good job of maintaining its pH with a buffering system.

Read the following analysis of the infomercial, by an M.D.

It is presented as a transcript of the show, with inline comments by the doctor.

He mentions the pH issue directly.
http://www.infomercialwatch.org/tran/trudeau.shtml

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-29-2005 11:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i dont know from clicks, i know from first hand knowledge.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 05-29-2005 11:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And how do you know you had your body's pH optimized Pissing on pH paper? In some conditions, you want to keep the urine alkaline (when they thought I had uric acid kidney stones, they put me on a syrup that did this). I think they also try to keep saliva alkaline in people with high levels of acidity in their mouths to help prevent tooth decay.

PostPosted: 05-29-2005 11:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
Mogul wrote:

Kevin Trudeau. He has been sued numerous times, and the FTC has banned him from ever selling a health supplement, etc., on tv. All he can sell now are publications. There is NO validity to virtually ANYTHING he says. His lies are not just misleading, they are dangerous, because they instill false hope and can make people forego effective medical therapy in favor of these bogus natural cures. INterestingly, apparently the book doesn't really contain any of the natural cures he talks about on the infomercial. Instead, it is a long-winded advertisement for subscribing to his website, which, for 9.99 a month, will give you the real 'natural cures.'

But he is full of shit, completely.

Do a google search for Kevin Trudeau along with the term FTC.

You'll find all sorts of shit.

Honestly, if a couple people die because of this guy I say it's natural selection. Maybe he's really doing us a favor.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-29-2005 11:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i think thats a real easy question

PostPosted: 05-29-2005 11:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How the hell do you find out someones pH? Put them in a grinder a measure the pH of the smoothie?

guru
guru
PostPosted: 05-29-2005 11:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Billy Bellend wrote:
i think thats a real easy question

So, then, which is it? Or are you just going by the way you feel? (Yea, I feel pretty 'optimized' now, base 10 log of my hydronium ion concentration must be around 7.2-7.4.)

guru
guru
PostPosted: 05-29-2005 11:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ToxicBug wrote:
How the hell do you find out someones pH? Put them in a grinder a measure the pH of the smoothie?

You can't measure a 'person' pH. You can measure the pH of various body fluids (urine and saliva, for example, using simple pH paper strips).

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 05-29-2005 08:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe I can get that guy to market my real Cherokee hair tampons, too.

PostPosted: 05-29-2005 08:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
ToxicBug wrote:

You can't measure a 'person' pH. You can measure the pH of various body fluids (urine and saliva, for example, using simple pH paper strips).

Thats exactly what I meant, so his "theory" can't even be applied.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-30-2005 04:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

These people are clearly a risk to the health of the general public. I propose we establish teams of ninja's to hunt them down and catch them, after which they should be reeducated in Special Camps.

For economic prosperity purposes i suggest these camps be paid for by slave labor of the trainees, which they can do in their study breaks.

PostPosted: 05-30-2005 07:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
Kracus wrote:

Actually, and don't take this the wrong way, but after reading your random thoughts, you seem like the type of person who would be excited about the prospect of a bracelet that says it will balance your bioenergeticmagnetic field and put it back at one with the walls that bound the universe.
:p

I'm not as crazy as I sound.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-30-2005 07:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Infomercials are great.
The best Ive seen is the 'Roticerie' (sp) a new oven thing thats meant to revolutionise cooking. All it is is a normal grill with a skewer in the center of it pointing up that you are meant to put your chicken or whatever shit on. Another 'feature' is that you can steam vegetables on the top of it but the thing is theres no dial to turn the top part on or off, it gets hot EVERY DAMN TIME REGARDLESS.
But the audience members are the best part. One of the presenters is called Chef Tony and one audience member squeals to the cameras 'ITS LIKE HAVING CHEF TONY RIGHT IN YOUR HOME!'. Which always cracks me up.

Another one is for some super oil for engines and they encase the engine in ice to show how it will start with the oil. Thing is in close up shots you can see the plastic mould lines and circles of the 'ice'.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 05-30-2005 08:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like all the Ron Popeil ones...it sounds liek you are describing the Ron Popeil rotisserie.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.