Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        I don't know how to feel about this strange new world

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: I don't know how to feel about this strange new world

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 01-20-2017 11:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Q3W topics don't stretch completely across the page any longer. I don't know quite how I feel about having lots of black space at the left and right sides of the message board before clicking on a thread. :paranoid:

The dropdown box to pick a page to navigate to is a nice touch, however. :up:

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 01-20-2017 11:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is that it? I thought it was a weird page resizing fault, so just used ctrl-MW to fill the screen again.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 01-20-2017 11:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[10:28] <@EmkaJee> hey looks like ur all invited to the beta of the mobile forum topic view

(I blame EmkaJee)

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-20-2017 11:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The topic list view no longer stretches the entire page on large screens. Instead, it's taking the ideal line length (2.5 times the alphabet) in consideration, making it subliminally easier on the eyes.

Why is this an issue? The topic titles have a maximum length regardless, right?
Right, but user posts don't, which is what I used as a benchmark for these new sizes.
Because while this new responsive behavior only happens on the topic listing at the moment, it will soon be governing the underlying pages as well.

Wait did I say responsive? :paranoid:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-20-2017 11:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

btw it's only for the classic theme. q4 can suck one

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 01-20-2017 11:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's easier to keep my eye on the same line when looking across the page to see which thread was posted by which user, I'll say that much. But at the same time, the black space on the left and right frightens me and makes me feel small and alone. :(

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-20-2017 11:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pfff..mobile.. Smartphones sucks -users too! :D
Use a PC dude!
Its like coca cola -its the real thing! ;)

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-20-2017 11:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
btw it's only for the classic theme. q4 can suck one

fuck u...

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 01-20-2017 03:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I'm glad that's settled

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-20-2017 04:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Much better on the iPad/iPhone

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 01-20-2017 05:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i like it :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-20-2017 06:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am working out what you are all on about. I am on a PC and rarely visit on a smart phone.
Can I change views on the PC page?

I am checking....

Back. I visited my profile (haven't been there in years) and changed the look from Q3 to Q4 under board preferences but I still can't see any drop down box. I will agree there seem s to be more black space than before (I think).

Transient wrote:
............ dropdown box to pick a page to navigate to is a nice touch, however. :up:

By the way, I prefer the Q4 look.

Edit:
Transient wrote:
............ dropdown box to pick a page to navigate to is a nice touch, however. :up:

I see it now :smirk: :up:

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 01-22-2017 06:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I prefer the full width page rather than the mobile view on a desktop.. here's a Greasemonkey script to hack it back :p.

Firefox: Install Greasemonkey
Chrome: Install Tampermonkey

With either addon create a new user script and paste in the below. Save and reload the page.. success!

Code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name        95% width forum
// @description Make Quake3World great again
// @author      PhoeniX
// @icon        http://quake3world.com/forum/images/icons/misc/q3.gif
// @namespace   com.quake3world.phoenix
// @include     /^(http:\/\/www\.|https:\/\/www\.|http:\/\/|https:\/\/)?(www)?quake3world.com/forum/?(\/.*)?$/
// @version     1
// @grant    GM_addStyle
// ==/UserScript==

GM_addStyle ("body #wrapheader { max-width: 95% !important; }" );

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-22-2017 06:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thatll fuck you up when you resize to a smaller window though.

also, just use Stylish
https://userstyles.org/

Use at own discretion as I will be deploying more changes gradually and using your own css or greasemonkey scripts might (read: probably will) break the layout at some point.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 01-22-2017 06:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll bear that in mind :).

Forgot about Stylish, I had Greasemonkey installed which was why I tried that.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-22-2017 01:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't like change

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.