Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Chelsea Manning pardoned

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Chelsea Manning pardoned

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 01-17-2017 03:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... /96678814/

Quote:
WASHINGTON — President Obama has commuted the sentence of Chelsea Manning, the Army private accused of leaking classified military secrets to Wikileaks, the White House said Tuesday.

Manning, who was convicted in 2013 to a 35-year sentence in a military court, will be freed from a military prison in Leavenworth, Kan. on May 17.

Obama got shamed into it. I don't give him any credit. She shouldn't have been put in jail in the first place.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 01-17-2017 04:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

great news

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 01-17-2017 05:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
great news

:up:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-17-2017 05:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Snowden should get the same treatment

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 01-17-2017 06:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He probably would've if he didn't run off to Russia.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 01-17-2017 06:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pesky layovers. :miffed:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-17-2017 07:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not quite a pardon, but she'll get out in a few months.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-17-2017 10:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
great news

:up:

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 01-18-2017 01:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Great :up:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 01-18-2017 05:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
He probably would've if he didn't run off to Russia.

not exactly true.

I think what's going on here is more of a political maneuver. See Assange recently stated that he would turn himself into US custody if Obama pardoned manning. I think by doing that it's a win win for Obama and a shitty deal for Trump. If Assange holds his end of the bargain he'll be going to the US and Trump has to figure out what to do with him, I'd say chances are Trump will probably make the wrong choice of what to do with him and further hurt the republicans from a public viewpoint.

Snowden wasn't going to Russia when this all leaked. I believe he was heading for some south american country and the US stranded him in Russia by restricting his ability to travel.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 01-18-2017 05:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm honestly not sure if Assange will hold up his end. I feel like given his past and taste for the limelight that he'll probably stay put. Even if he was gone though I doubt Wikileaks will just stop. They sorta need to get out of bed with Russia though.

And that may be why Assange would turn himself in. I bet he'd be fully co-operative with the US once he's facing a lifetime in prison and then Wikileaks would be a US tool instead of a Russian one.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 01-18-2017 06:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

very publicly slandered no doubt.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-18-2017 08:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
pardon

nope. she still has all the restrictions of a convicted felon

good guy obama though. not sure how he was 'pressured' into it. care to explain OP?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 01-18-2017 09:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I kinda already mentioned the likely reasons why.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-18-2017 11:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no, you mentioned your bong rip theory which is essentially indistinguishable from made up, and also you're not the OP, to whom my question was directed

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 01-18-2017 12:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He also said the same thing.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-18-2017 01:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

but he didn't explain why he thought that, since the article says nothing of the sort, and an explanation is what i was asking for

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 01-18-2017 04:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ask Obama.

Although seriously. It's a political decision, Assange in hand is worth way more than Manning in jail.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 01-18-2017 05:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
Quote:
pardon

nope. she still has all the restrictions of a convicted felon

good guy obama though. not sure how he was 'pressured' into it. care to explain OP?

Yea, pardon isn't the right word.

These last few weeks Obama has been pushing a bunch of progressive agendas, many of which I don't think he would have considered if Clinton had won. But now he has a bunch of people on the left scrutinizing his record and pointing out just how conservative he's been, now that Drumpf is about to take office. So he's been doing things like banning Arctic oil drilling, protecting wildlife, pardoning/commuting sentences for whistleblowers and nonviolent drug offenders, and whatnot. To say he was "shamed" into it is honestly a bit of wishful thinking on my part, but I do think he's doing it in response to public pressure. Whether it's calculated or an earnest desire is debatable.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-19-2017 08:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Umm... it's fairly common for outgoing presidents to squeeze through a bunch of last minute agendas, pardons and declaring new national parks and monuments, etc. are typical. This isn't something exclusively special that Obama is doing, though the Manning case is particularly high profile.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-19-2017 09:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah but obama's doing this on an industrial scale. probably trying to make up for the fact that his record is in many ways worse than bush's, and he's handing over ludicrous surveillance powers to mr satsuma face

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 01-19-2017 09:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And then there's this shit which is more on par with Obomba's policies over the last 8 years:

Quote:
Obama Declares Cuba and Venezuela National Security Threats

The executive order allows the president to use national emergency resources to fight the threat, such as enforcing sanctions against the country.

The United States declared a national emergency to deal with perceived "threats" in Cuba and Venezuela on Friday, along with Iran, Libya, Ukraine, Zimbabwe and countries Washington claims "support terrorism." The declarations effectively extend for another year economic sanctions already in place.

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/O ... -0024.html

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-19-2017 12:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

>Ukraine
>Zimbabwe
>"supports terrorism"

u wot m8

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 01-19-2017 02:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So the claims against Cuba, Venezuela, and Iran are warranted in your mind? :smirk:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-19-2017 02:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no, they're just what i'd expect, given the US govt's historic stances toward them

ukraine and zimbabwe on the other hand...

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 01-19-2017 09:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I guess it's because Mugabe hasn't signed over Zimbabwe's natural resources to American corporations so they're claiming some bullshit foreign policy threat to keep pushing sanctions until they can install a puppet.

IMO that article probably meant Russia instead of Ukraine, considering how long the west has pushed the ultra-right branch of Ukraine's government to create conflict with Russia.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.