Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Oil Painting of a Video Game Scene

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Oil Painting of a Video Game Scene

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-11-2016 02:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

To control the light and avoid spatter on furniture?

If it looks stupid and it works, it's not stupid.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 09-11-2016 02:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is there any reason those answers seem to be sensible ones?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-11-2016 05:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also I can move the entire thing without having to worry about moving individual pieces. It's a bit of a chore to get that mirror aligned.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 09-11-2016 08:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's looking cool Kracus :up:

What oils are you using?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-11-2016 10:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Linseed oil I found at a hobby shop, pretty inexpensive but I've learned that white is used a lot!

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-11-2016 10:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I also want to say that oil apparently never dries...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-11-2016 11:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mix in some turpentine to thin out the paint and make it dry way faster. You can also paint in thinner layers to give yourself a bit more control and make it dry faster. :up:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-11-2016 11:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Mix in some turpentine to thin out the paint and make it dry way faster. You can also paint in thinner layers to give yourself a bit more control and make it dry faster. :up:

Thanks for the tip! Did you do the pipes or was that a lead pipe oil painting joke?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-11-2016 11:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What do you think? :)

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-11-2016 12:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think you painted it.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-11-2016 02:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plained
plained
PostPosted: 09-11-2016 05:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i like it!

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-12-2016 03:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

His story checks out.

I'd like to see a snowboarder about to land on his own body with blood and guts hanging out..

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-12-2016 03:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just play ubisoft's new game then.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 10-04-2016 11:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 10-05-2016 09:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry I've been slacking on updates. I've been quite busy lately. However, I do have some good progress pics that I'll post shortly when I get home, the pictures are on my other phone.

After working with the mirror for a while to get most of what you see in this thread done I ditched the mirror after finding myself re-drawing entire structures in duplicate which I had to paint over.

So I'd say since roughly the last update pic on this thread I've free handed the image but I've been staying true to the picture. Right now the entire canvas is colored more or less and the only remaining bits to do are the background buildings and a few more details in the track area.

quick edit: I should note that oil painting is surprisingly more fun and forgiving than I thought it would be. I've also learned a few really important details which will definitely come in handy next time I try my hand at this.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-05-2016 10:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had forgotten about this...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 10-05-2016 10:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's the current progress. It's turning out better than I expected and I figure my next session will probably finish the painting. It's tough to do a little at a time cause you waste a lot of paint for not a lot of results.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 10-05-2016 11:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Being able to step away from your work and look at it with a critical eye is a good thing, so it's probably best that you don't do it all in one go. :up:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 10-05-2016 01:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah just having done it now I'd know what I'd do different. Like I'd probably draw the bike last on this scene instead of first. I wasn't sure I'd be able to draw it at all so chose it first to see how'd it look. By drawing it last i could have drawn a nice blue sky without so many brush strokes showing

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 10-05-2016 01:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:

#ijs

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 10-05-2016 01:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:

That's the current progress.

My kids finger paintings look better than that.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 10-05-2016 01:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not everyone is an artist.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-05-2016 02:02 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No offense, it's really bad...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 10-05-2016 02:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok. Still going to finish it tho. That pic makes it look worse than it is tho...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 10-05-2016 02:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thought I'd put it under very bright sunlight but it really exaggerated the shadows. It looks more like this under normal light.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 10-05-2016 04:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
No offense, it's really bad...

Gotta start somewhere.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-05-2016 06:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

im quite impressed with the outcome more filled in..

I was going to say it looked 3d until fully viewed. How about some dank quake character portraits...that would get me involved.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-05-2016 10:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I for one like it. And if you had fun doing it then more power to you.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 10-05-2016 10:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For a first attempt it's good, well done Kracus. Ignore the haters, let them have a go and see how well they do :up:

I think part of your issue is the source you've used, the composition isn't great and it's not very dynamic. The protagonist is too small to get any detail in and the background is really very ambiguous. If you do another one, try something that's definitely portraiture or definitely landscape and that paints a picture or has a story, you want the audience to look at it and read a story and see life (or death!) in it, not just "a guy on a motorbike" Examples:

There was a thread on Simon Stahlenhag the other week, I've got both his books and what makes him so good is that not only is he technically very talented, but when you look at his images you can read an entire story into a single painting, I can look at a single one of his images for like 10 minutes and just read stories out of them:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-06-2016 12:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I appreciate you've got the guts to post your work here Kracus.
I like how the motorbike looks right now but the background needs to be much tighter than it is. The source work is very clean and has a lot of very rigid, well defined lines.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-06-2016 12:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^ Aye

I'm not saying it's great but it does look like you spent more time on the bike than the background. I'm not the artist but when I doodle if I do it slowly, like a snails pace I can usually come up with something that I'm satisfied with. Keep doing it n all and you're guaranteed to get better and it'd be worth finishing this and keeping it to see your progression :up:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 10-06-2016 03:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I definitely have spent more time on the bike seeing as the background isn't finished. There's a ton of details where the track is that I have to fill in, the buildings in the background and maybe more detail in the rock.

Thanks for the tips Phanta! I did this scene as an homage to a friend of mine who convinced me to buy the paints and the canvas whom I play Trials with very often.

Like I said previously I did learn a lot from this first one and I think I'm going to do another one once I'm done this one but my next one won't be a video game scene and rather something I've dreamt up myself. And omg those paintings are amazing.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-06-2016 03:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can't art for shit, so good effort sir

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.