Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Half-Life 3 at Gamescom 2016..

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Half-Life 3 at Gamescom 2016..

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-16-2016 05:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

.. is not present.

Quote:
The poster doesn’t actually read “Half-Life 3,” but rather, “Half-Life: 3" and under that in smaller text “Editors Who Played It Back Then."

lol?

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 08-16-2016 07:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can't remember where I read it now, but someone suggested if they do ever release a new Half Life they should definitely skip Half Life 3 and just call it Half Life 4 :trollsmiley:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-16-2016 08:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

At this point it would never live up to the hype. Best not to do it...

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 08-16-2016 08:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol indeed

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-16-2016 08:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nope. It's real. The smaller print says something about editors (I think) having played Half life, and there's 3 of them or something along those lines. It's definitely a troll.

That said, I honestly think I'll probably skip HL3 should it ever come out. Valve seems to hold onto all these great IP's just to piss people off. There could be a slew of fantastic Portal games, Half life games, L4D games etc but instead we got Steam. Fuck that.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-16-2016 08:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I almost shit myself when I saw the poster...then saw the small print :/

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-16-2016 09:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Valve seems to hold onto all these great IP's just to piss people off. There could be a slew of fantastic Portal games, Half life games, L4D games etc but instead we got Steam. Fuck that.

Maybe they don't want to spit out game after game, degrading the franchise with each new game, like a lot of other developers...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-16-2016 09:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Portal 3 please

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-16-2016 09:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Κracus wrote:
Valve seems to hold onto all these great IP's just to piss people off. There could be a slew of fantastic Portal games, Half life games, L4D games etc but instead we got Steam. Fuck that.

Maybe they don't want to spit out game after game, degrading the franchise with each new game, like a lot of other developers...

Normally I would agree with that sentiment however not in Valves case. There's a happy medium here that could be achieved but valve seems more interested in pushing Steam and it would seem hardware these days. There's also a lot of game developers that seem fine in that happy medium that put out great games. GTA would be a great example, same as most blizzard games. At least with Rockstar and Blizzard you know they're working on something and they don't publish release dates or overhype their games, nor do they pump out games every year that's basically the a slightly altered version of the previous games. At this point, we know fuck all about HL3 and I haven't heard anything about Portal, two games I highly enjoy and that seem popular enough that they would guarantee a financial return for Valve. However, I feel like Valve sees them as less profitable, thus won't bother with them.

It's almost like the financial opposite thinking of EA. They see money in games and push them out for profit at the cost of quality and originality while Valve sees profit in other areas and subsequently won't allocate resources for a less profitable venture. I also get that money rules but Valve is just sitting on them instead of either hiring more dev's to build the game or outsourcing to a studio.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-16-2016 10:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can't really argue with that :), Valves work has been mostly geared at Steam / VR these days with an updated Source 2 engine - which seems to exist to show off their hardware.

I havn't heard anything about new game in production ?. Considering they're meant to be a games developer you'd think they'd have atleast something in the works wether it be a new ip / sequel but the only news we get is about how they're updating the Steam UI and check out our new VR / pad / Steam products. Since Portal 2 the only games to come from Valve have been updated ports ? (CS:GO / DOTA ?) with literally nothing on what to expect next.

As far as game devs go Valve are up there with the best, but they're far from perfect. I get that they have this kind of 'stamp of approval' and they don't want to damage that image by going EA and releasing 2nd rate, tired old bullshit year after year but at the same time, being a fan - it kinda takes the piss.

Another thing, Steam is a money making machine and its biggest selling point is the fans trust in Valve. If they started acting like R* and gobbling up franchises then that trust would fade away as they blend into the background.

Blizzard I spose is a good example of a well run company though.

Last edited by losCHUNK on 08-16-2016 10:12 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-16-2016 10:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

there was actual concept art for HL3 many moons ago, something about an ice-bound ship and that connected with the Portal universe :paranoid:

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 08-16-2016 11:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They don't need to make anymore games, they just need to keep milking dota/CS/tf2 marketplace transactions.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-16-2016 01:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

my little pony friendship is magic karambit anyone?

i can't believe people actually buy those things IRL :dork:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-16-2016 09:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I massively enjoyed HL, HL2 and their expansions and no one is going to take that away. At this point, I couldn't care less if Valve are ever going to release another Half-Life game.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-16-2016 09:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's a whole lot of not caring.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-17-2016 06:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was thinking that I wanted some closure, there are a lot of unanswered questions in the HL series and it would be nice if they could wrap up the plot. Even if the game is mediocre, I just want it to wrap up nicely.

But then I realized that it's been so long since the game came out that I can't remember the plot anyway. I have no idea where we left off. So I guess the fuzziness of memory is as good of an ending as any.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-17-2016 06:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We will never see Episode:3 or HL3, i bet!
Valve is just Steam now, they dont need to release a new game.
Sad but true...
Good ol´ Valve is dead, like Id.
:(

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-18-2016 11:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The thing is, I think the story from Valve goes something like 'HL1 helped perfect the FPS engine / Genre and HL2 did the same with physics, there's no groundbreaking to be had for HL3' (It's because of this reason I'm a little worried they might develop it geared towards VR).

But the world Valve could build today for HL3 to take place in could be mindblowing. I mean imagine those dystopian metropolitan areas actually showing people, moving traffic, weather and animal life ?, a kind of lived in future street Bladerunner style. Buggy run across the coast with bug chases. We don't need a revolution, the industry has moved so far forward even a HL1/2 reboot would look amazing then back that up with a solid plot and we're well away. These were the days where we were impressed by dog.

I think it would've made sense to make Portal a recurring franchise n all, or Left4Dead. I think L4D especially has a lot of unexplored potential.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-18-2016 08:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndyW wrote:
Good ol´ Valve is dead, like Id.

Have you played the new Doom game? GOTY!

It also seems as if they're separating their engine development teams from the game development teams, with the engine being worked on in their new studio in Germany, leaving more focus for their Texas team on gameplay.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-18-2016 09:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
I was thinking that I wanted some closure, there are a lot of unanswered questions in the HL series and it would be nice if they could wrap up the plot. Even if the game is mediocre, I just want it to wrap up nicely.

But then I realized that it's been so long since the game came out that I can't remember the plot anyway. I have no idea where we left off. So I guess the fuzziness of memory is as good of an ending as any.

Interesting thought!
I have played all the HL series, probably twice through, only recently completing Half-Life 2: Episode Two again, so yes, it would be nice if they could wrap up the plot.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-18-2016 09:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Have you played the new Doom game? GOTY!

So far yeah because this has been a shit year for games and movies alike. Deus Ex comes out on the 23rd though, I have a feeling that'll be my top choice.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 08-19-2016 12:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can see them combining HL3 and Portal 3 together.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-19-2016 08:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yes i think i said that in this thread already :p

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-19-2016 08:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think Valve said that themselves.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-19-2016 08:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He said that too

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-19-2016 08:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well then...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-19-2016 09:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 08-19-2016 09:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
yes i think i said that in this thread already :p

no u

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-19-2016 11:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-20-2016 11:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^ fail

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-22-2016 03:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah that's pretty lame.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.