Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Ahem...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Ahem...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-15-2016 11:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
Yea, who's the daddy now fish ?

DAMN FUCKING RIGHT, FISH!

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-15-2016 01:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BROFISH!

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 08-15-2016 03:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-15-2016 04:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:ducky:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-16-2016 08:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You've been working on this your whole life, don't let yourself down

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-16-2016 08:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That wasn't a #1 he was making, is was a big fat L. :olo:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-16-2016 08:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's pretty much how my 1st day back went after a week off.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-16-2016 10:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fucking hell :olo:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-17-2016 12:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's like he was surprised there were hurdles.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-18-2016 11:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Who the fucks boos at the olympics ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/37104031

Arsenal fans in disguise ?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-18-2016 11:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuckin Brazilians. Third world retards...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-18-2016 11:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've seen talk that Sao Paulo would've been a better host city as its more integrated and metropolitan than Rio, which doesn't carry a great reputation.

1 thing though, I thought the Olympics was for amateurs, but how come I get to see the odd pro footballer / tennis player or whatever ?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-18-2016 12:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It use to be amateurs. But they realized they could get more viewers and make it more exciting to watch if we saw professional athletes that we know. So in the late 80s early 90s, the professional athletes came in. It really was made obvious when the NBA sent Jordan and the dream team to destroy everyone else. Then government funding started for most country's athletes. Although, the U.S. is still one of the only countries whose government doesn't fund their Olympic athletes...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-18-2016 12:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool beans yo. I always wondered. I'm assuming American Olympians secure their funding privately through sponsorship deals ?, are there any private organisations funded by the state aimed at helping athletes ?

Why do some pros go but others don't though ?, I mean you'd expect the Brazilian national football team to be in the competition ?. World boxing champs n all that ?, Golf ? - Is this really a competition they see beneath them ? :smirk:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-18-2016 01:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Then government funding started for most country's athletes. Although, the U.S. is still one of the only countries whose government doesn't fund their Olympic athletes...

Because it's a broke-ass piece of shit third-world country.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-18-2016 01:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No government funding, still more medals than anyone other country :olo:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-18-2016 01:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The government may be "poor", but the public isn't.

On a global scale, the vast majority of Americans are either upper-middle income or high income. And many Americans who are classified as “poor” by the U.S. government would be middle income globally, according to a new Pew Research Center analysis. http://www.pewglobal.org/2015/07/08/des ... and-europe

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-18-2016 01:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In sports you've never cared about or knew existed and will forget about right after the TV stops telling you to care :olo:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-18-2016 02:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:

5 x UK population, less than twice UK medals :olo:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-18-2016 02:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Olympics: Where countries try to one-up each other for bragging rights based on metrics that don't matter in the slightest or have anything to do with skill.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-18-2016 02:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:

On a global scale, the vast majority of Americans are either upper-middle income or high income. And many Americans who are classified as “poor” by the U.S. government would be middle income globally, according to a new Pew Research Center analysis. http://www.pewglobal.org/2015/07/08/des ... and-europe

It's funny how you say "poor" as if it's an opinion and not a fact that the US is trillions in debt, has large population centers in a water crisis, and major cities with widespread unemployment.

It's kinda sad that some of those athletes will have to exchange their medals for food stamps :olo:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-18-2016 02:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
In sports you've never cared about or knew existed and will forget about right after the TV stops telling you to care :olo:

That's true, I don't give a fuck about any of it. Still more medals :olo:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-18-2016 02:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
xer0s wrote:

5 x UK population, less than twice UK medals :olo:

Yeah, population has some to do with it. But the U.S isn't the most populated. And we aren't throwing more money at our athletes than some. Looking at you, China...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-18-2016 02:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
The Olympics: Where countries try to one-up each other for bragging rights based on metrics that don't matter in the slightest or have anything to do with skill.

Agreed. Except for the skill part. Some of these athletes are very skilled...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-18-2016 02:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
xer0s wrote:

It's funny how you say "poor" as if it's an opinion and not a fact that the US is trillions in debt, has large population centers in a water crisis, and major cities with widespread unemployment.

Yeah, I didn't imply and of that...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-18-2016 03:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Transient wrote:

Agreed. Except for the skill part. Some of these athletes are very skilled...

No, I meant the comparisons being made don't have anything to do with skill. Skill should be the only thing that matters.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-18-2016 03:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

But metrics are used to reveal a bigger picture ?

Population density is a pretty good way of looking at it n all. I mean it'd be impossible for somewhere like Iceland to top the medal board, so you break it down to make it comparable to successful countrys to determine ability / success. Most stats are broken down in this way too, like X amount of deaths per X amount of population.

It's why I compared the US to Europe in my 1st post, cos as a rough idea it'd be more comparable to any individual country in Europe.

It's also kinda of hard to treat the sport based on individual skill when the medals are tallyd by country too.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 08-19-2016 02:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-19-2016 08:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^ except that the EU isn't a country and has no unified approach to funding and supporting its athletes that could justify lumping EU countries together

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-19-2016 08:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What's the importance of a unified approach ?, on the face of it the US has none, so what does it matter ?. Fact is we're better at producing medalists :). Statistically speaking population counts hold the most importance then you can look at the influence of funding on those set ups, otherwise it isn't comparable. You'd be better off just saying the EU funds its athletes and is at an advantage.

Also rule #1 of following a sport is seperate it from the politics, it's the only way you can enjoy it and hate FIFA. So fuck funding arguements.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-19-2016 09:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm going to let you guys in on a little secret. Swimming. There are a ton of medals up for grabs in the swimming category and the U.S. has great swimmers. Big majority of medals...

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 08-19-2016 09:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The best medals.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-19-2016 11:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the wettest medals

cycling has the best medals: the fastest medals

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-19-2016 11:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's been said that Britains the king of the sitting down sports ?, cycling, canoeing, boating, horsey things

edit: woop woop

But also, some of the more 'elite' events ?. I bet those rich Tory cunts get all the funding whilst the poor children play basketball with their dead pets bladder.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-19-2016 12:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dat upper body strength, most likely from wanking over rachel riley

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.