Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Ahem...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Ahem...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-13-2016 06:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/search?q=olympic ... %22m%22%5D

:smirk:

Now all you Euros can make your snarky comments...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-13-2016 06:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Europe wins

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 08-13-2016 07:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
https://www.google.com/search?q=olympic+medal+count&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#mie=oly%2C%5B%22%2Fm%2F03tnk7%22%2C1%2C%22m%22%5D

canada has 1/10th the population of the USA and 1/5th the number of medals. iow adjusting for population we'd have twice the medals of the USA.

just sayin'

(p.s. nationalism is stoopid)

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-13-2016 07:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
Europe wins

Country vs Continent :olo:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-13-2016 07:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
xer0s wrote:
https://www.google.com/search?q=olympic+medal+count&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#mie=oly%2C%5B%22%2Fm%2F03tnk7%22%2C1%2C%22m%22%5D

(p.s. nationalism is stoopid)

Absolutely. But this is the Olympics...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-13-2016 07:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:
Europe wins

Country vs Continent :olo:

Federation VS Union :olo:

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 08-13-2016 09:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been watching all week and this is my favorite reaction. Love it when the unexpected wins. Too bad NBC has such a lockdown on Olympic footage. The live American broadcast had much better footage, she looked like she was going to have a breakdown.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-13-2016 11:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Video is broken :smirk:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 12:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i haven't watched any of this, but read the other day that US athletes receive no govt support and have to pay tax not only on their cash winnings for each medal, but also the value of the medals themselves

that sucks

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 12:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
i haven't watched any of this, but read the other day that US athletes receive no govt support and have to pay tax not only on their cash winnings for each medal, but also the value of the medals themselves

that sucks

Hah yes I remember reading about this. Paying for the privilege to keep those gold medals, although apparently it's only tax on the value of about £500 for a gold. Fair enough being taxed on their cash winnings I guess, as it's the US olympic committee that awards them the cash...

Also
http://www.medalspercapita.com/
Stats are a pain. I'd like to find comparative data on sports spending on olympic athletes vs medals won, although sorting by GDP would probably give a decent comparison

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 02:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sir Bradley Wiggins wins at ceremony faces :up:

(watch and wait for it)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 09:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The medals per capita seems a good way to even things out, but isn't medals per nation's competing athlete a more honest way (or better yet, potential medals vs actual medal wins. A football team is like 20 athletes but counts as 1 medal)? In other words: is there a limit, either by rule or practical, to how many athletes a country can push into the Olympics?

However, I read somewhere that the US has about 500 athletes while the Netherlands has about 200 (and that includes a fair number of team sports like Hockey, volleyball, handball, and 8-man rowing (both male and female teams) and the Netherlands s 12th on the medal rankings, which despite our rough Olympics this year (especially with Judo and swimming) is pretty good for such a small country.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 11:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:

Video is broken :smirk:

It's probably restricted to US viewing.
The clip is Blume from Denmark winning the 50m freestyle. You might be able to find it yourself.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 12:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol fat chance

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 12:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
lol fat chance

:p

shaft wrote:
It's probably restricted to US viewing......

Yes, I guessed same.
Searches..... Seems most searches end up the same.. I will search later for sure and take up the Captain Mazda challenge :)

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 02:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GB have now moved into second, we're coming for you :o

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 02:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

vesp wrote:
Also
http://www.medalspercapita.com/
Stats are a pain. I'd like to find comparative data on sports spending on olympic athletes vs medals won, although sorting by GDP would probably give a decent comparison

Very interesting :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 02:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
................ and take up the Captain Mazda challenge :)

It was probably a copyright thing with a TV network :smirk:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 08:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do dey do dis ?

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 08:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Whiskey 7 wrote:
................ and take up the Captain Mazda challenge :)

It was probably a copyright thing with a TV network :smirk:

[youtube]qT41JYlHum4

yeah but that clip sucks because the best thing about the race was her reaction...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 10:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Bah. Watch people you've never heard of win sports you never otherwise watch. Capitalist fagg0try. :humbug:

Or see it as a chance to broaden your sports horizons and get a taste of sports other than football. Your view is a bitter and unnecessary negative one.
During the London Olympics I discovered that bow shooting is pretty cool to watch and this year I've massively enjoyed the 1-on-1 sprint events on the indoor cycling ring.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-15-2016 05:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Bah. Watch people you've never heard of win sports you never otherwise watch. Capitalist fagg0try. :humbug:

Just because you never lift more than a fish 'n chips tray or see the sun doesn't take away from these people's athletic achievements :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-15-2016 07:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:

It's a Dutch (more accurately: Frisian) oddity called Fierljeppen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fierljeppen

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-15-2016 08:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^that has nothing to do with the athletes you bitter cuntbucket.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-15-2016 08:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And those who watch it

*tunes into FIFA*

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-15-2016 08:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Love the Olympics - show case for how awesome the people of this Earth can be

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-15-2016 08:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-15-2016 09:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Eraser wrote:
Or see it as a chance to broaden your sports horizons.

'Cos that's what's important :rolleyes:

I'm not denying the contents of your video but it's not really a problem for me to solve.

Your initial comment belittled the achievements of the athletes and questioned my (our) right to have an interest in it on the basis of the popularity of the sport. That's the type of reasoning I was arguing against, not denying there's serious problems related to large sport events like these (FIFA world cup is no different)

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-15-2016 09:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Don Carlos wrote:
Love the Olympics - show case for how awesome the people of this Earth can be

what? by being really shit at stuff animals can do much better? like running and swimming? lol!

notice how superior, further evolved extra-terrestrial beings are oft spindly, weak looking things, 'cos they've ascended beyond physicality, both mentally and technologically. and here are the human race, being proud they can't run as fast as a dog, or swim as fast as salmon. :clownboat:

Thats a very dour way of looking at things.

So a salmon can swim for longer than a human...because it's a salmon. Challenge it to a walking competition and see who wins. Or to throw a javelin. Or to ride a bike. Or throw a discus. Or work on the gymnastic rings. Play tennis. Shoot a bow and arrow.

Don't give me the "it's a fish" line either. We have evolved to be able to do multiple tasks very well. Including being able to design and engineer the bike that the fish can't ride.

Alien lolz.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-15-2016 09:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yea, who's the daddy now fish ?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-15-2016 09:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

frankly memph, if you'd stuck to the line that these kinds of major sporting events tend to line the pockets of a few oligarchs, often at the expense of the poor, i think most people ITT would have been with you. dissing the actually athletic performances though just sounds dickish and a bit salty

(p.s. i haven't watched any of the olympics and it doesn't personally interest me, but i get that other people are enthralled by it)

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-15-2016 09:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yet memph watched the Euros, a corporate shill-fest organized by UEFA and owned by FIFA :smirk:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-15-2016 10:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Yet memph watched the Euros, a corporate shill-fest organized by UEFA and owned by FIFA :smirk:

Did he ?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-15-2016 10:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:

So, you see and in fact agree, that it's something of a fetid shit-show behind the scenes, but 'cos many, including you, are enjoying it, it's ok to carry on and hope for the best?

Eep.

Yeah that's exactly what I'm saying :dork:
(no)

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-15-2016 10:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He has a point of discussion though.

I'm a huge fan of Football but I'm fully aware that nothing will change at the top until fans start turning their back on the sport. Clubs / players won't do this, they're making money too.

I'm not gonna knock the players / athletes that participate in it, but the problems that exist (money men, ticket availability / pricing, doping, back door deals, viewing rights etc etc) are all a direct result of us pumping money into the system. As fans we're being taken advantage of, cos what is the alternative ?, and that's the problem. As soon as any sport gathers a following / audience then there's money to be made, the popularity of the competition / sport is the very thing that corrupts it.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.