Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        No Man's Sky

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: No Man's Sky

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-09-2016 05:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So it's out?
I got junk (e)mail to say it's available for PS but no mention of PC.

EDIT: Checked...
Quote:
Hello Games is still working on No Man's Sky's PC version
It launches on Friday
If you thought Hello Games, makers of No Man's Sky, exhaled and flopped into bed at midnight for a well deserved two-month nap or something, forget it. Even if the game launched today on PlayStation 4, they're still pounding away on the PC version coming Aug. 12.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/9/1241124 ... ello-games

redline
redline
PostPosted: 08-09-2016 06:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

User reviews don't look that great so far.

No Man's Sky for PlayStation 4 Reviews - Metacritic

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-09-2016 08:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Y'all seen this Reddit thread?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGa ... seriously/

I just don't get it. Why doesn't Hello Games simply come out and explain exactly what is and isn't possible in this game. They've kept aspects of the game extremely secret and it's starting to look like they didn't want to admit, it's lacking. Players are slowly realizing the game isn't what they thought it would be. The vastness of the universe makes the game feel lonely and boring. What's the point in finding and naming all these planets if you can't share it with someone else? A single player experience needs more substance. The idea for this game is great, but it only works with a completely multiplayer experience...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-09-2016 10:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Division all over again.

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 08-10-2016 02:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
feedback wrote:
2 things makes me pass on a game: procedural generated "campaign", or open world.

Should've trusted yer gut with Fallout 4, ey ?. Wish I did.

Didn't play more than 10 hours :(

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-10-2016 05:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, two players find each other, can't see each other and so the community wants answers. Director of Hello Games responds...

lol, can you dance around the question or issue any more than that?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-10-2016 05:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I find it hilarious that the game is released and it's still a mystery if it's multiplayer or not. Can't get a straight answer out of the developers. Unbelievable...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-10-2016 07:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

amazing that every planet has totally identical sentinels :dts:

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 08-11-2016 01:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Think I'll stick to Terraria for now :shrug:.

Buliding a huge mine cart into a pit of lava for your friends to "discover" is great fun

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-11-2016 05:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I said it a few pages back. What this game is trying to achieve wasn't gonna happen with conventional procedural bs. Their world generating algorithms. Would have to be way more advance before anything like this can self evolve into something interesting

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-11-2016 05:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heck, even real nature by itself often fails to impress without that human touch. Think about it. When was the last time your planned a vacation without taking "amenities" under consideration? May that be restaurants hotels, attractions etc.

Last edited by Tsakali on 08-11-2016 05:11 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-11-2016 08:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So glad I went with Elite Dangerous.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-12-2016 12:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The soundtrack is pretty good though, even as a casual listen:
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/0CkuFPWCLJjCAEKy0dce40
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWX54C49pw

It's funny that there actually is sort of an album release of this, as the music in the game is procedurally generated as well:
Quote:
Hello Games Audio Director Paul Weir created a dynamic sound generation tool called “pulse,” which allows the game to combine different musical elements and create what he calls a “Soundscape,” a dynamically generated variation on the game’s core soundtrack.

“It’s really a way of organizing lots of small, granular bits of sound [and] music components, and imposing a bit of structure and logic and control on top of them,” Weir said. “We can define how they’re combined when they’re played in the game, and attach them to game parameters so that, depending on either what you’re doing or where you are in the game, it could be calling different bits of music. It’s combining individual small elements, so the exact mix of what you’re getting and how that plays will be different every time you play.”

“Although you get sections of the album at key events, most of the time you’re not hearing the album at all,” Weir said. “You’re hearing these different reflections, different interpretations of what you’ll get on the album.”

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/no-mans-sky-music/

redline
redline
PostPosted: 08-12-2016 11:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-12-2016 01:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PostPosted: 08-12-2016 06:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the multiplayer lie about being able to see each other and then not answering the question was disgusting.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-12-2016 08:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Agreed. It looks like they thought their universe was so infinite that they wouldn't have to worry about anyone finding each other (at least for a while), but it happened sooner than they thought. Now they'll have to try to patch something in to cover their ass. Pretty shitty in my opinion...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-13-2016 12:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Agreed. It looks like they thought their universe was so infinite that they wouldn't have to worry about anyone finding each other (at least for a while), but it happened sooner than they thought.

RNG is a bitch

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-13-2016 12:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
their universe was so infinite ...

Our universe is more infinite than yours :o

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-13-2016 07:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Agreed. It looks like they thought their universe was so infinite that they wouldn't have to worry about anyone finding each other (at least for a while), but it happened sooner than they thought. Now they'll have to try to patch something in to cover their ass. Pretty shitty in my opinion...

They actively made it easier to find one another in the game with the day 1 patch, so I don't know about that theory. Either way they done fucked up, though.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 12:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

NMS has no 3rd person mode (one of its saving virtues - fuck 3rd person) so they probably thought "fuck it, we won't bother with a player model until a couple of patches in"

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 03:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This sums it up for me https://youtu.be/vyBVTOiMshA

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 04:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah that guy makes a lot of good points, though his blanket dismissal of procedural generation is OTT. PG can work well on the medium scale (i.e. taking care of exactly where each mountain is placed, how high it is etc) provided both the small scale (where the loot is) and global scale (planets. continents etc) are more structured

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-15-2016 03:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-15-2016 11:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
http://youtu.be/RvAwB7ogkik

I am saddened :( :(

I thought this would bring me the world (worlds :smirk: )

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-16-2016 08:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lofl

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-17-2016 06:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lmao, this is pretty good.

http://youtu.be/A8P2CZg3sJQ

It's funny, I always thought Sean Murray just had a bit of Aspergers, with that shit-eatin' grin and shy attitude. But knowing what I know now and looking back at his interviews, it's clear that he knew he was completely unsure of the game and he was lying to us. The cheesy smile is just a nervous reaction. Pathetic...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-17-2016 07:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sean Murray is the new Peter Molyneux

redline
redline
PostPosted: 08-17-2016 08:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Sean Murray is the new Peter Molyneux

Except that Sean Murray hasn't created any legendary games, unless I'm missing something :question:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-17-2016 08:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-17-2016 10:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
AndyW wrote:
http://vid.pr0gramm.com/2016/08/15/5322c9ed537c76b8.mp4

read thread monron.

also:

:olo:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-17-2016 10:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LOL I hadnt even seen the entire vid yet; the part with the sticker over the PEGI Multiplayer icon is really the worst.

Extreme evil
Extreme evil
PostPosted: 08-18-2016 07:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

funny stuff in this thread :olo:

unbridled enthusiasm ftw

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 08-19-2016 01:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The "procedurally generated" exploration line really doesn't grab me at all... eventually it'll just be a grind. I think it was one of the penny arcade guys who said he was playing it and couldn't get away from "seeing the numbers" under the game... if you know it's randomly generated then it becomes less interesting.

I imagine this game becoming a bit like Torchlight, which was sort of enjoyable until the end of the "story bit, then it was just going from one generated level to the next... with no end other than when you stop playing. meh

Prefer a bit of actual story, I don't think NMS has any (yet?). Maybe it'll surprise everyone with some mad reveal about the nature of the universe?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-19-2016 01:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, being procedurally generated and having a great story don't have to be mutually exclusive. NMS had huge potential. They just fuct it up...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.