Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Star Trek Anaxar sued by CBS/Paramount

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Star Trek Anaxar sued by CBS/Paramount

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-02-2016 01:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's a few Star Trek fans here, right? Undoubtedly you've seen "Prelude to Anaxar", a 20 minute fan-made film about a battle in the Star Trek universe.

It serves as a preview to the (crowd funded) full length movie they are making. Now, however, Paramount Pictures and CBS are sueing Anaxar Productions on grounds of copyright infringement. Now, Anaxar and Paramount supposedly have been in talks before with Paramount greenlighting the project as long as it stayed non-profit, but now they're doing a 180 on Anaxar.

Legally, Paramount probably is in the right here, but it does suck. They probably feel that with a budget of over a million dollar and professional grade production, Anaxar is too much in the same space as Star Trek Beyond and the announced TV series.

As a fan, I'm disappointed, because Anaxar is closer to the original Star Trek feel than anything since JJ Abrahms got involved. I wouldn't be surprised that Paramount got scared Anaxar would be better than the POS Beyond they're making themselves.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-02-2016 02:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry but can made films always suck. It's not a bad thing if it dies.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-02-2016 03:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have you seen the video I linked? It's pretty good.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-02-2016 06:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's well edited and written (and professionally acted), and certainly at the high end of the range when it comes to fan-made stuff - which probably explains why Paramount/CBS now want to sue

they may find it tricky to make a case though, given their relaxed attitude to fan-made films up to this point; an obvious question is what justifies taking a different attitude to this (i.e. justifies it to a jury)

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-02-2016 06:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

I did, a while back. There's no doubting the effort that's gone in to it, but i can't get over the cheese factor.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 01-02-2016 07:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
an obvious question is what justifies taking a different attitude to this (i.e. justifies it to a jury)

crowdfunding is not charity ; it's a way to sell your product before it is released . this is an actual commercial product .

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 01-02-2016 07:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The original series was pure cheese.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-02-2016 07:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

every week Kirk got himself into a different pickle

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 01-02-2016 08:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

every week Kirk's pickle got found into a different self

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-02-2016 10:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
every week Kirk got himself into a different pickle

but he always escaped because he was grater than his enemies

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-02-2016 02:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There are Star Trek fans here, of that I am sure and I am not happy at the bullying antics by the big bastards against such an effort by a small crowd funded effort.

While I see the point of their legal action, I do wonder if they (Paramount Pictures/CBS) would have assisted in any way if asked; I am guessing not after recent successes (Abraham's Star Trek Into Darkness) in the genre. Oh I see, they didn't even telephone call :smirk:

I give credit where it is due and this production effort (Axanar) gets a positive nod here.

I watched Prelude to Axanar a while ago but will (now) again :up:

Edit: Did and it is pretty good. I look forward to more.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-02-2016 11:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Eraser wrote:

I did, a while back. There's no doubting the effort that's gone in to it, but i can't get over the cheese factor.

It's Star Trek. Cheese is an inherent part of it :)

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 01-03-2016 01:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As someone who has watched all 12 movies and 5 shows (700+ eps). I just wanted to say I couldn't care less about it.

p.s Deep Space 9 was great tv.

Playboy
Playboy
PostPosted: 01-03-2016 02:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DS9 was awesome, the best Star Trek series.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 01-03-2016 06:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Babylon 5

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-03-2016 07:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

also, Richard Hatch as the Klingon dude. he was Apollo in the original BSG and also in the reboot

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-03-2016 09:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Flex Donkey wrote:

It was, but not before the Dominion got introduced. Before that it was a boring weekly soap opera.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 01-03-2016 08:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wonder what the new series will be like.
Looking forward to it, I hope they choose a better captain then the last fagtoid.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-07-2016 09:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

axbaby wrote:
Looking forward to it, I hope they choose a better captain then the last fagtoid.

New series?
Is there a new )TV) series in the wind? Anyone?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-08-2016 11:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here you are Whisk -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Untitled_ ... _TV_series

There's a thread posted here somewhere too. Someone said it was online release only, so may not get the backing it needs.

Axanar was quite cool though, shame we probably won't see any more.

edit: Just seen on the wiki that Enterprise ended in 2005 - 11 years ago :cry:

And captain Quantum was the bomb yo

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-08-2016 01:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

axbaby wrote:

There maybe some brown people in it.

Playboy
Playboy
PostPosted: 01-08-2016 06:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Flex Donkey wrote:

It was, but not before the Dominion got introduced. Before that it was a boring weekly soap opera.

"Boring" is a bit harsh. I still loved it before the introduction of the Dominion, but it definitely improved once they were a part of the series. Jeffrey Combs is a legend.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-08-2016 07:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
.............. on the wiki that Enterprise ended in 2005 - 11 years ago :cry:

Thanks losCHUNK :up:
Hey, I too didn't realise Enterprise finished 11 years ago and here, for the memories :tear:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-09-2016 01:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Flex Donkey wrote:
Eraser wrote:

"Boring" is a bit harsh. I still loved it before the introduction of the Dominion, but it definitely improved once they were a part of the series. Jeffrey Combs is a legend.

Had to look up the name. Weyoun was great indeed. Never knew Weyoun and Brunt were the same actor.
My favorite DS9 character was Elim Garak.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 01-09-2016 02:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Weyoun, Quark, Obrien and Bashir made the show.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-10-2016 12:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's lucky that all these alien races had eyes the same distance apart as in humans

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-11-2016 01:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
it's lucky that all these alien races had eyes the same distance apart as in humans

Yep, but actually, the similarity between all these alien races is sort-of explained in an episode of The Next Generation.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-11-2016 10:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

omg the nerd is real ITT :dts:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-11-2016 01:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I know. And proud of it.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-14-2016 07:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
seremtan wrote:

Yep, but actually, the similarity between all these alien races is sort-of explained in an episode of The Next Generation.

Which one ?, not the one where we find the ancestors of dinosaurs ? (think that was Voyager ?)

edit: nvm, it was the treasure hunt ep innit ?, basically Prometheus.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 01-14-2016 12:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
seremtan wrote:

Is it the idea of great ideas evolve individually again and again?

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 01-19-2016 06:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
omg the nerd is real ITT :dts:

yeah, you aren't the nerd for making the 'eyes the same distance apart' post :rolleyes:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-21-2016 06:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think I'm actually crying :cry:

(this was meant to be in the series thread, fuck it)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 12:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plained
plained
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 10:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i will watch!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.