Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Elite Dangerous is a good game.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Elite Dangerous is a good game.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-04-2015 09:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you like space sims and play on xbone it's well worth it. They're releasing the CQC right now, (close quarters combat ) which looks quite fun.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 08-04-2015 10:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My advice?
Don't play it in huge doses; save it for those times between other games. If you treat it like an MMO or open world game, you'll get bored very quickly.
The game's strength lies in playing it in hour long bursts. Pick up a few missions, hunt a few ships at resource extraction sites, do a bit of trading, scan a few systems, whatever. Just don't do anything to excess too frequently, or you'll burn out very quickly.
I still love the game, but I'm fully aware of its strengths and weaknesses.

And I know it's not really an option on the XBone version, but playing the game with a proper joystick & throttle arrangement as well as a head-tracker is insanely good fun.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 08-04-2015 11:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Those headtrackers look pretty good fun. Did you DIY it or use a proper one?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-04-2015 11:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Let me know where you are so i can fucking destroy you in seconds.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-04-2015 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat hit the nail on the head. Short bursts are best. Also a proper HOTAS setup is the only right way to play. Head tracking isn't a must, but it makes dogfights a lot easier, plus the game becomes more immersive.

Elite Dangerous allows me to do what I've always wanted to do: space truckin'

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-04-2015 12:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

don't agree on the HOTAS but whatever.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 08-04-2015 01:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PhoeniX wrote:

Got a proper one, TrackIR 5. It's very good, but if you're thinking about getting one, don't bother with the powered TrackClip Pro accessory. Utterly useless compared to the bog-standard one that clips onto a cap.

And for reverse nail-head-hitting, Transient's spot on. While not essential, the first time you use one, you'll be giggling like a schoolgirl. It works exactly how you think it should. You move your head slightly, and that's represented by amplified movement on screen. If you're one of those gamers like me who occasionally tries to peer around the edge of the screen, it's just incredible. And Elite just feels like it was made with such devices in mind. You start the TrackIR software before the game, and it just works, no extra configuration needed.

My preferred play-style at the moment is assassinations and high-reward kill missions. I finally got bored of bounty-hunting in asteroid belts and decided to risk building up a bounty on my head by playing minor factions off of each-other. The big red Wanted spices up Open play, with players deciding they fancy their chances at claiming the reward on my head. I'm slightly off the beaten track, so it's not excessive, and I've sent all comers packing so far. But I have no doubts that eventually someone will claim that bounty.
My general rule is I won't interdict players. The rush when someone tries their luck and interdicts me is pretty damn cool.

DB, have you tried a decent HOTAS set-up? I've got the X52 Pro here, and using a traditional gamepad feels severely gimped in comparison now. The fine throttle control with full range reverse and forward thrust is an incredible bonus when dogfighting. I can tell a gamepad player straight away, as they settle in to the old joust/turnabout pattern. The X52 gives me a massive range of movement options by comparison, with instant access to lateral thrusters, flight-assist toggles, and granular speed control that completely removes the need to joust other players. I can stay up close and nip around anything in my Vulture while they're constantly struggling to keep a bead on me.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-04-2015 01:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm on xbox so no dice doomy. I have a fair bit of combat experience in space games from playing jumpgate which didn't have an autopilot feature so it moved like elite dangerous with no autopilot. You had to dock like that too.

I'm downloading the cqc right now. It looks like what this game was missing for bored people.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-04-2015 01:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"I have a fair bit of combat experience..."

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-04-2015 01:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain has an xbone as far as I know...

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-04-2015 02:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
PhoeniX wrote:

Got a proper one, TrackIR 5. It's very good, but if you're thinking about getting one, don't bother with the powered TrackClip Pro accessory. Utterly useless compared to the bog-standard one that clips onto a cap.

And for reverse nail-head-hitting, Transient's spot on. While not essential, the first time you use one, you'll be giggling like a schoolgirl. It works exactly how you think it should. You move your head slightly, and that's represented by amplified movement on screen. If you're one of those gamers like me who occasionally tries to peer around the edge of the screen, it's just incredible. And Elite just feels like it was made with such devices in mind. You start the TrackIR software before the game, and it just works, no extra configuration needed.

My preferred play-style at the moment is assassinations and high-reward kill missions. I finally got bored of bounty-hunting in asteroid belts and decided to risk building up a bounty on my head by playing minor factions off of each-other. The big red Wanted spices up Open play, with players deciding they fancy their chances at claiming the reward on my head. I'm slightly off the beaten track, so it's not excessive, and I've sent all comers packing so far. But I have no doubts that eventually someone will claim that bounty.
My general rule is I won't interdict players. The rush when someone tries their luck and interdicts me is pretty damn cool.

DB, have you tried a decent HOTAS set-up? I've got the X52 Pro here, and using a traditional gamepad feels severely gimped in comparison now. The fine throttle control with full range reverse and forward thrust is an incredible bonus when dogfighting. I can tell a gamepad player straight away, as they settle in to the old joust/turnabout pattern. The X52 gives me a massive range of movement options by comparison, with instant access to lateral thrusters, flight-assist toggles, and granular speed control that completely removes the need to joust other players. I can stay up close and nip around anything in my Vulture while they're constantly struggling to keep a bead on me.

Nope, but have no issues with M&K. Still, wouldn't mind trying at some point.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-04-2015 02:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
I'm on xbox so no dice doomy. I have a fair bit of combat experience in space games from playing jumpgate which didn't have an autopilot feature so it moved like elite dangerous with no autopilot. You had to dock like that too.

I'm downloading the cqc right now. It looks like what this game was missing for bored people.

I fucking called it. I'll buy it on Xbox, run my rare route for a few weeks and build a class A mkIII to copy my one in PC.

Then you can tell me where you're hiding.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-04-2015 02:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why bother. We can just duke it out on cqc. It's an arena style game that removes the financial aspect of owning someone and makes it more of a skill game.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-04-2015 02:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds gay. Just spend the next two weeks grinding plz so I can upset you.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-04-2015 04:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well you'll just have to find me. Better do it before I get an Asp, cause you'll be flying a long time since I'm planning a trip to the center.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-04-2015 06:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pathetic.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-05-2015 09:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Planetary landings was just announced too! Although I'm kinda peeved about the pricing. If you don't own the game, you can buy this expansion and it comes with the full game. So you get planetary landings and the whole game for 60$. If you already own the game the expansion costs 60$. Da fuq?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-05-2015 10:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Well you'll just have to find me. Better do it before I get an Asp, cause you'll be flying a long time since I'm planning a trip to the center.

lol Asp.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-05-2015 10:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hear it's good for long range exploration.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-05-2015 11:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

any ship is, it just has a long jump range.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 08-05-2015 11:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you want the best jump range, you're looking at an Anaconda, the most expensive ship in the game. But a D-module Asp without weapons is the next best, and significantly cheaper (D rated gear is lighter than all other modules of the same type).

But in combat, they're pretty damn sucky. Some poor eejit interdicted my Vulture in one the other day. He didn't last long.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 08-05-2015 11:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
PhoeniX wrote:

Sounds like great fun, I'd like to try one out definitely :up:. Watched a video or two on YouTube and people do seem to look a bit awkward when using them - having to crick their neck and look our the corner of their eyes. A head tracker with a moveable monitor or multi-screens would get around that and be very awesome.

I wonder if with something like nVidia shield where you can stream your game to a tablet you could get around this. If you could somehow mount it in front of your face at all times, so when you look left and right the tablet goes with you that would be awesome.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-05-2015 12:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Xbox one + kinect does it in forza games. I shut that shit down pretty fast, it's annoying.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-05-2015 01:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PhoeniX wrote:
Sounds like great fun, I'd like to try one out definitely :up:. Watched a video or two on YouTube and people do seem to look a bit awkward when using them - having to crick their neck and look our the corner of their eyes. A head tracker with a moveable monitor or multi-screens would get around that and be very awesome.

You can play with the TrackIR sensitivity and make it so that your head movements are exaggerated in the game. That's what I did, so I barely have to look to the side to bring up my menus or see out the canopy.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 08-06-2015 11:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh OK. Guess you can find a setting that works for you pretty easily then.

Mind you, I've just bought a high-end VHS off eBay for archiving old family films to digital. Not sure I can cope with this new-fangled tech :o.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-14-2015 09:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Might even buy this.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-18-2015 06:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So the diamondback Scout is a great ship. I've now abandoned exploration in favor of combat. Any tips on making good coin via combat?

I tried the powerplay stuff but I'm not sure how it works. I've tried visiting conflict zones but I never know which side to attack as they both seem the same. So far the best I can manage is killing celebrities and pirates, anything else I find myself struggling to defeat, I think the vulture is the best ship I can take down although I got lucky with an Anaconda mission. I stopped to check out a strong signal and it was a bunch of Federation ships when my mission target suddenly arrived and decided to start firing on them, with their help I was able to kill him for a sweet quarter mil bounty.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 08-18-2015 08:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Most important piece of equipment if you're looking to profit from combat?
The Kill Warrant Scanner.
When you see a ship, always scan it, even if it's not currently wanted in the system you're in. The scan will reveal any bounties accrued in other jurisdictions. Only exceptions are System Authority Vessels. They never have additional bounties.

Now for some day-to-day combat profit tips:
To start with, drop in to Navigation Beacons, and take out anything that jumps in that's Wanted.
This can get boring quickly though, and isn't the most profitable place to fight, but will give you a good grasp of fire control and exactly who is likely to be wanted and who isn't. It'll also get you into the habit of scanning everything.

Then you might want to graduate to the ever popular RES, Resource Extraction Sites. These can be very high profit over time. They're also more fun than Nav beacons as they're the only places in the game with environmental hazards. For increased thrills, jump in to one that's currently on the dark-side of a planet. Big rocks suddenly looming out of the dark can be interesting, to say the least. It'll give you a good excuse to use ship lights too.

And when you get bored of those, you can do what I'm doing. You just have to be prepared to pick up a sizeable bounty on your head. Mine's currently at 450K in one system.
Pick a home system, then take all the kill missions you can from the bulletin board. Inevitably, some of these will involve killing ships that aren't wanted in system, so you will pick up a bounty.
However, helpfully all targets will be in systems neighbouring your home one.

My current home system isn't far from Lave, so gets a comfortable amount of PvP traffic, has only one close neighbouring system that all my missions take me to (helps reduce travel time), and has its own RES points, one of which is "High Intensity". That's Arexe, and the station there is also high-tech, meaning good access to ships and upgrades.

I have also been based out of LP 861-12. That's not as catchy, but is probably a better system in all respects except player traffic. It's Federation space where Arexe is Independent, and has all of Arexe's other features plus another in-system station. It also has regular combat zones popping up thanks to wars with the two neighbouring systems, Millese and Beten. It's further from Lave however, so you see FAR less player traffic. A good place to learn the trade.

Combat zones are great when you just want to shoot stuff without thinking and move on to the next target as soon as possible. Not as potentially rewarding on an individual target basis, but the sheer volume of ships to kill makes up for that. Plus once in a while you'll get a Capital Ship warp in and join the fight, which is a cool thing to see.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-18-2015 10:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just bought a Microsoft SideWinder Precision 2 Joystick for £3. win.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-18-2015 10:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Most important piece of equipment if you're looking to profit from combat?
The Kill Warrant Scanner.
When you see a ship, always scan it, even if it's not currently wanted in the system you're in. The scan will reveal any bounties accrued in other jurisdictions. Only exceptions are System Authority Vessels. They never have additional bounties.

Now for some day-to-day combat profit tips:
To start with, drop in to Navigation Beacons, and take out anything that jumps in that's Wanted.
This can get boring quickly though, and isn't the most profitable place to fight, but will give you a good grasp of fire control and exactly who is likely to be wanted and who isn't. It'll also get you into the habit of scanning everything.

Then you might want to graduate to the ever popular RES, Resource Extraction Sites. These can be very high profit over time. They're also more fun than Nav beacons as they're the only places in the game with environmental hazards. For increased thrills, jump in to one that's currently on the dark-side of a planet. Big rocks suddenly looming out of the dark can be interesting, to say the least. It'll give you a good excuse to use ship lights too.

And when you get bored of those, you can do what I'm doing. You just have to be prepared to pick up a sizeable bounty on your head. Mine's currently at 450K in one system.
Pick a home system, then take all the kill missions you can from the bulletin board. Inevitably, some of these will involve killing ships that aren't wanted in system, so you will pick up a bounty.
However, helpfully all targets will be in systems neighbouring your home one.

My current home system isn't far from Lave, so gets a comfortable amount of PvP traffic, has only one close neighbouring system that all my missions take me to (helps reduce travel time), and has its own RES points, one of which is "High Intensity". That's Arexe, and the station there is also high-tech, meaning good access to ships and upgrades.

I have also been based out of LP 861-12. That's not as catchy, but is probably a better system in all respects except player traffic. It's Federation space where Arexe is Independent, and has all of Arexe's other features plus another in-system station. It also has regular combat zones popping up thanks to wars with the two neighbouring systems, Millese and Beten. It's further from Lave however, so you see FAR less player traffic. A good place to learn the trade.

Combat zones are great when you just want to shoot stuff without thinking and move on to the next target as soon as possible. Not as potentially rewarding on an individual target basis, but the sheer volume of ships to kill makes up for that. Plus once in a while you'll get a Capital Ship warp in and join the fight, which is a cool thing to see.

Yeah I found a nice spot in Tollan sector that has one of those high resource extraction sites and went pirate hunting there. Not too bad so far, plus it's way better with asteroids floating around, I love using them to get away. I have about 100k bounty on me as I've been doing combat missions. I made my home base one of Zachary Hudsons main solar system, Nanoman, I think it's called. I get interdicted a lot though.

What I'm wondering about though is the vouchers for the power play stuff. How do I get those? I feel like I've killed a lot of pirates in these zones, even joined in some military targets and killed a bunch of ships but I have nothing to turn in. I don't get where these vouchers come from.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-18-2015 11:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

soon gets boring just hanging around in ex zones.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 08-18-2015 11:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I keep my nose out of Powerplay to be honest. Not for me, I'd rather walk my own path.
It was basically implemented to keep the EVE crowd happy, some form of over-arching political power-grab game.
The benefits aren't that great anyway, and I've heard you get interdicted a LOT more when you side with a faction.
Seems like a lot of grind for very little benefit.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-19-2015 03:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

50 million a week doesn't sound too bad to me. Plus double bounty payouts.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 08-19-2015 03:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lots of grind to get to that level though. Are you really going to be playing enough to get to that level?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-19-2015 03:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I would if I had the time... I need to get about 50 kills a day to acheive it, then once I'm there I could do 25 fairly easy.

Problem, like you mentioned, is that I don't get as much time to play as I'd like. So far I'm lucky if I can get 30 minutes but I can get about a dozen kills in 30 minutes...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.