Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 03-28-2014 11:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bit of a bullshit score this game is getting. The discrepancy between critic reviews and user reviews is telling.
Quality game that still keeps me entertained, about 80% in.

The stealth shit can get tiresome and it's an OCD nightmare, with destrucatibles everywhere spawning goodies.
But it has quality (not-just-button-mashing) combat, with a satisfying upgrade system.
Graphics are more than adequate, steady 60+ framerate all the way, and the score is excellent.

It manages what most recent games don't: make me want to keep playing it.

Solid.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-30-2014 11:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Super Castlevania, but then those have their fans too so go figure, I guess.

SuperCastlevania was the best out there preSOTN.
MercurySteam said themselves they didnt want to create yet another Ika Castlevania, but go back to it's roots.. fitting when you're rebooting the story.
Funnily enough the "betweenquel" (:dork:) Mirror of Fate did use the MetroidVania mechanic, but mixed with the GoW fighting. It works surprisingly well.

I've been holding off on getting LoS2 mostly because of the bad reviews it got, but also because of employees of MercurySteam themselves referring to it as "a piece of shit game". :/

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-03-2014 09:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
employees of MercurySteam themselves referring to it as "a piece of shit game"

Got a link to that?
I find that hard to believe, both because it really isn't, and slamming a game you worked on clearly is a nono, no matter how shit you think it is.

I guess with a title like this, you have to contend with some fanboy criticism.
But when you purely judge this game on its own merits, it deserves more than it was critiqued.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 04-03-2014 10:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How does this game compare to the ol' 2d sidescrollers like Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow or Aria of Sorrow (Nintendo DS) which I thoroughly enjoyed. Gameplay looks quite different in 3D.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-03-2014 10:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It isnt like those at all. Those are MetroidVania while LoS is old school stages.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-03-2014 10:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It compares to it like a 2014 3d game compares to a 2005 2d handheld game: it doesn't.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-03-2014 10:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
MKJ wrote:
employees of MercurySteam themselves referring to it as "a piece of shit game"

Got a link to that?
I find that hard to believe, both because it really isn't, and slamming a game you worked on clearly is a nono, no matter how shit you think it is.

I guess with a title like this, you have to contend with some fanboy criticism.
But when you purely judge this game on its own merits, it deserves more than it was critiqued.

Quote:
"The vast majority of this team is aware that the game we’ve done is a real piece of shit that has nothing to do with the first one’s quality and production values," 

Apparently some head honcho ignored the design document left and right in favor of his own prefs. The game suffered and it made employees mad.

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/ne ... lamed.html

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-03-2014 11:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"the perfectly capable and objective, but got fired for some mysterious reason, anonymous employee added"

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 04-04-2014 12:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
It isnt like those at all. Those are MetroidVania while LoS is old school stages.

Damn, I get it.

Plan B wrote:
It compares to it like a 2014 3d game compares to a 2005 2d handheld game: it doesn't.

Very insightful.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-10-2017 05:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why the necromancy.

More importantly, Netflix just ordered a Castlevania tv show, season 1 going live later this year.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.