Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        What is new in your little world?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: What is new in your little world?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-03-2015 03:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unless they're going to send you free gadgets you're being had.

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 07-03-2015 04:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lol. Right. Getting my name out as editor and contributor for absolutely minimal work. How could I be so stupid

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-03-2015 04:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do editors contribute or are they just basically reviewers of content? This is more rhetorical than an actual question.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade either, I used to write for an online publication and it wound up being more work than what it was worth and I was actually getting paid. It's just been my experience with these types of sites that they'll dump their workload on you happily but provide very little in terms of reward for the work you do.

Hence why I turned down a local law company when they asked me to do their website.

They offered me a reference from their company as compensation for designing their website and seemed shocked when I turned them down.

Working for free has since become something of a sticking point for me. I suspect both you and I are in different positions though today where money isn't an issue and investing your time to do something for free but get recognition for it seems worth it. However I'd argue you're de-valuating the editor position and possibly affecting other editorial jobs in the process.

I had a similar discussion with my wife when talking about art and music contests where people submit art or music for companies and government organizations. They're basically putting artists, graphic designers and the like out of business by making people work for free in guise of a contest. I feel it's inherently wrong in a larger scale.

PostPosted: 07-03-2015 04:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm literally editing his writing. I am a fan of his website and reviews and I think he's going somewhere with it. I do plan to start contributing, and at that point I'd look to get something back. I enjoy writing and editing, and it's basically my full time job at the university where I teach writing. However, I finish 2x a week at noon and 3x a week at 3pm so I have tons of time to work on my research and publish as well. I also am lifting 4x a week, doing Muay Thai 2x, and mma 1x. Basically I'm trying to be as productive as possible.

Last edited by feedback on 07-03-2015 05:04 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-03-2015 05:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And you have horses!? Jesus Christ pal I'm assuming you don't have kids and have simply given up on sleeping.

PostPosted: 07-03-2015 05:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I sleep 10 pm and get up at 6. Staying up late is for chumps. Feels good to get up early and get things done

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-08-2015 06:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just took a big poop and it went down in one flush without blocking up the low flow toilets.

:)

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 07-08-2015 06:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
I sleep 10 pm and get up at 6. Staying up late is for chumps. Feels good to get up early and get things done

Lol dumb ppl... :olo: ...

http://elitedaily.com/life/culture/nigh ... nt/686025/

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 07-09-2015 05:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:

scared? wrote:

Best of both worlds: I sleep 2am - 5:30am and nap through the day.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-09-2015 05:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Words of a man with no kids.

PostPosted: 07-09-2015 07:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
feedback wrote:

Lol dumb ppl... :olo: ...

http://elitedaily.com/life/culture/nigh ... nt/686025/

lol @ morons who read elite daily

plained
plained
PostPosted: 07-09-2015 07:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol its pretty bad when you come across someone doing something from john tesh's -be the smartest person in the room-

just wow!

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-09-2015 11:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just had a nice interaction with Nvidia Support via online (type) chat. Spent a a long time trying to resolve driver issues and infrequent crashes. Wish me luck :)

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 04:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Haha, I love Whiskey's updates...

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 07:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

New in my world: Studio rent just went up 40%

Thanks, Tories.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 07:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been tracking my sleep with Sleep As Android and realized that rather than 8h of sleep I only need 5h30m of sleep per night. Enjoying my extra 2h30m free time per day \o/

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 07:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How do you figure that?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 07:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

syp0s wrote:

Thanks, Tories.

That shouldn't really affect your massive income, eh?

redline
redline
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 08:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
How do you figure that?

The app has a lot of stats built into it. I also export its data and do my own analysis. Basically it comes down to monitoring my deep sleep % and trying to maximize it.

When I slept for 8h, on a good night I would get 3h20m of deep sleep (42%). Now I sleep 5h30m on average and I still get 3h20m of deep sleep (61%) or more. For unrelated reasons, this past month I've been 5-6h per night on average. I've been tracking my sleep for over the past 4 months and I noticed that not only my deep sleep % increased when I started sleeping less, my sleep quality has increased as well.

In the past I was convinced that I needed 7-8h of sleep per night and I forced myself to sleep more. This resulted in a lot of light sleep in the morning, which was actually mostly a waste of time. I also had problems falling asleep since I had way too much energy in the evening.

I have absolutely no trouble falling asleep anymore and I either wake up on my own or the app wakes me up when I'm in light sleep. My smart wake up time is set between 08:30 and 09:00 and it usually wakes me up between 08:30 and 08:45.

This article actually confirmed my research. The following quote is especially informative:

Quote:
You could also do yourself a favour by ignoring society’s views on sleep, he says. “There’s this social view that short sleeping is a good thing and should be encouraged – we’re always hauling out the example of Margaret Thatcher and top CEOs who don’t need much sleep. In fact, the amount of sleep you need is genetically determined as much as your height or shoe size. Some people need very little sleep, others need 11 or 12 hours to feel their best.”

Stanley says that a lot of people with sleep issues actually don’t have any problem sleeping, instead they have an expectation that they need to sleep for a certain amount of time. “If we could all figure out what kind of sleeper we are, and live our life accordingly, that would make a huge difference to our quality of life,” he says.

Honestly, this stuff is sort of hard to explain. You need to track and analyze your sleep for a few weeks, this will allow you to see different patterns emerging in how well you sleep given different external influences. Sleep As Android is great for this because you can add hashtags allow more granular analysis of said influences on your sleep quality.

You can read this if you're interested in how the app works.

Here's a log and a chart of my sleep in the past month.

And here are some screenshots from the app. LVLSHOT doesn't work for some reason, so I'm just going to post the links.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/377 ... .52.46.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/377 ... .52.55.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/377 ... .54.08.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/377 ... .54.23.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/377 ... .31.11.png

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 08:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

syp0s wrote:

Thanks, Tories.

I'm curious if you've given DS2 a go yet?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 09:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:

My income wouldn't be very high if I took that line on significant CODB increases.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 09:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
I'm curious if you've given DS2 a go yet?

No not yet. I ordered it at the same time as Bloodborne, but Bloodborne arrived first, so I started playing that.

About 30 hours into it and loving it. From what I read online, Bloodborne is like DS2 lite, so I'm massively looking forward to playing DS2 straight after, as every aspect of it is apparently much deeper and well-thought out.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 10:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PS4 or xbone?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 10:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

syp0s wrote:
xer0s wrote:

My income wouldn't be very high if I took that line on significant CODB increases.

But that's the line Geoff takes. Oh wait...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 10:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep

And there's this guy who experimented with polyphasic sleep for half a year... 20 minute naps every 4 hours.
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2007/0 ... ear-later/

redline
redline
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 10:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep

And there's this guy who experimented with polyphasic sleep for half a year... 20 minute naps every 4 hours.
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2007/0 ... ear-later/

Thanks for the links! Have you tried it?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 10:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Toxic, it sounds like you're depriving yourself of NREM. It seems like I read something at one point that NREM is important for memory. You've obviously read a great deal about this, so maybe you've come across it. I can't recall the article, guess I don't get enough NREM...

redline
redline
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 11:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Toxic, it sounds like you're depriving yourself of NREM. It seems like I read something at one point that NREM is important for memory. You've obviously read a great deal about this, so maybe you've come across it. I can't recall the article, guess I don't get enough NREM...

What makes you say this?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 11:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just ordered a set of ENVE M SERIES 70 THIRTY CARBON FIBER MOUNTAIN BIKE WHEELSET on Chris King hubs. Best thing to come out of the US.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 11:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ToxicBug wrote:
xer0s wrote:

What makes you say this?

Well, it looks like you've cut back on your total sleep, but have been able to maintain (or even increase) your deep (REM) sleep. So the sleep that you're actually eliminating is light (Non-REM) sleep, which is important for memory...

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 11:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you pricks should have kids then you can LOL at that shit^

redline
redline
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 11:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Well, it looks like you've cut back on your total sleep, but have been able to maintain (or even increase) your deep (REM) sleep. So the sleep that you're actually eliminating is light (Non-REM) sleep, which is important for memory...

I see your point. REM is not the same as deep sleep, though. They're separate, the app estimates REM and it puts it at the end of each deep sleep cycle. Anyway, I'll read up about it, thank you for pointing this out!

BTW I don't deprive myself of sleep, I wake up on my own without using an alarm to check if I'm in deficit or not. I would never force myself to sleep less :)

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 11:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
PS4 or xbone?

PS4 - first console since Xbox or something close, loving it so far. Haven't played any games since Deux Ex.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 11:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pfffft

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 12:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bought PS4 cause some guy on a shoot said "YOU HAVE TO PLAY 'THE END OF US'. He was really convincing

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.