Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Games of Thrones - Telltale Games

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Games of Thrones - Telltale Games

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-10-2013 09:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So far all games have been shit, but this one might stand a chance given Telltales track record

Quote:
Telltale's Game of Thrones deal with HBO is a multi-year, multi-title partnership, as detailed in a new press release from the developer. In other words, we're getting Games of Thrones across Years of Thrones.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/12/10/tellt ... les-years/

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/12/07/game- ... announced/

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-10-2013 10:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

great

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-10-2013 10:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh hey...another cynically-produced game based off a pre-existing IP (that can spawn 908,708,098 sequels...wink wink nudge nudge) that everyone hopes doesn't suck.

Go fuck yourselves.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-10-2013 11:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Walking Dead was awesome, unlike the shitty TV show.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 12-10-2013 01:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They are also working on one for Borderlands, and the second episodes of The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead.

Now if they could just finish one of them...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-10-2013 01:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
So far all games have been shit, but this one might stand a chance...

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Go fuck yourselves.

Captain Mazda wrote:
Walking Dead was awesome, unlike the shitty TV show.

TTG's Walking Dead has absolutely nothing to do with AMC's TV show (which has its own game based off of it, of the same title, which is equally shitty). TTG's Walking Dead is based on the original comic book, and it is a good proper video game with excellent plot and characterization.

TTG has a good history of making excellent games based on other IP's, Sam&Max, Back to the Future, etc. GoT will probably turn out to be pretty decent, just like other TTG titles.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-10-2013 03:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

then again, what's the big deal with games needing a plot? since the dawn of civilisation up until about 15 years ago, games were games - they had rules and objectives, not plots. then suddenly the entertainment megatron realised there was money to be made with movie tie-ins, and loads of people bought into the idea without question, and thus the Battlefield Medal of Duty cash cow behemoth was born, and many shareholders were enriched

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-10-2013 03:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BF and CoD games had a plot?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-10-2013 09:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cos before those, there were no movie tie-ins. LOL ET on Atari2600.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-10-2013 11:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
TTG's Walking Dead has absolutely nothing to do with AMC's TV show (which has its own game based off of it, of the same title, which is equally shitty). TTG's Walking Dead is based on the original comic book, and it is a good proper video game with excellent plot and characterization.

Actually, TTG's Walking Dead has little to do with the comic book either. The characters, settings and events portrayed in the game were all made up specifically for the game. In that sense, the TV show has more to do with the comic because it features roughly the same characters.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-10-2013 11:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm just a bit worried Telltale is spreading a bit thin between this, the Borderlands game, The Wolf Among Us and Walking Dead season 2.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-11-2013 10:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Cos before those, there were no movie tie-ins. LOL ET on Atari2600.

well ok smarty pants, but my point still stands. games don't need plots because they're games

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-11-2013 12:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
then again, what's the big deal with games needing a plot? since the dawn of civilisation up until about 15 years ago, games were games - they had rules and objectives, not plots. then suddenly the entertainment megatron realised there was money to be made with movie tie-ins, and loads of people bought into the idea without question, and thus the Battlefield Medal of Duty cash cow behemoth was born, and many shareholders were enriched

Final Fantasy 7

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-11-2013 12:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
games don't need plots because they're games

Depends on the game doesn't it? You don't need a plot for a FPS or RTS, but it is integral to a point and click adventure game like those made by TTG or those made by Lucas Arts back in the day. Discovering the plot is the whole point of the game. It's a bit like saying you don't need 4 wheels on a car because of motorcycles.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-11-2013 02:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am unable to comment due to having not played them :S

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-13-2013 08:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Oh hey...another cynically-produced game based off a pre-existing IP (that can spawn 908,708,098 sequels...wink wink nudge nudge) that everyone hopes doesn't suck.

Go fuck yourselves.

Walking Dead was better than the actual show. So on this occasion, sir may smoke thine own pole.

Your retort has absolutely nothing to do with my criticism and your logic for reasoning that this could be "better than the actual show" is beyond retarded.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-13-2013 12:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You're getting excited about an existing IP (not a new one) that has already bragged about a pre-designed nature for sequelitis. And your excitement is entirely based on ignoring what I've just told you about these exact types of projects/products/consumerwhorism.

Where the fuck has your perspective gone? Check under your seat cushions...you might find it.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-13-2013 12:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pre designed nature of sequelitis? What? Is this still Game of Thrones we're talking about?

Memphis is just drawing parallels between GoT and Walking Dead. One originated as a comic, the other as a book. Both have TV series and e holds the Walking Dead game in higher regard than the TV series. So extrapolating that to the GoT game, he figures it might not be all bad.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-13-2013 01:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think GKY is pissed about the lack of originality in games at the moment...

I do have quite a big post to make about that, which I will make after my bottle of red

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-13-2013 01:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Pre designed nature of sequelitis? What?

Quote:
Telltale's Game of Thrones deal with HBO is a multi-year, multi-title partnership, as detailed in a new press release from the developer. In other words, we're getting Games of Thrones across Years of Thrones.

:rolleyes:

Did you even read the first post in this thread?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-13-2013 01:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
I think GKY is pissed about the lack of originality in games at the moment...

Pissed at the lack of originality, the lack of effort, the lack of foresight, the lack of taking risks, the lack of doing anything new, the lack of doing anything that can't be turned into a franchise, the lack of any genuine caring about the future of games instead of how much money they can squeeze from it this week...

but mostly...

a lack of realizing every fucking thing I just listed above that is true and happening daily...is cheered on by brainless idiots who are just happy to have the next version of that thing they like...

I repeat:

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Go fuck yourselves.

:up:

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 12-13-2013 01:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you part of that industry you seem to be so disgusted with?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-13-2013 02:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He is an outspoken member of it, to be fair

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-13-2013 02:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you part of that industry you seem to be so disgusted with?

It's a job that pays the bills. I don't have to like the games I work on (thank fucking God for that) because if I had to I'd leave tomorrow.

But hey...I'm sure there are lots of cops who don't like busting people for pot but have to do it because it's their job.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-13-2013 02:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've said it before I'll say it again: Stop buying shit games so that I don't have to continue working on more shit games. Buy cool games so that I can work on more cool games.

How many times do I have to say this? You blissfully retarded fucking cunts. :up:

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 12-13-2013 02:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, ffs you guys, don't you get it?: GFY's in the midst of a "wtf am i'm doing with my life?" thing.
Clearly struggling to break out.

Last edited by Plan B on 12-13-2013 02:58 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-13-2013 02:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whatever, change the focus to me if you need to...it's nothing new here. None of that changes the fact that the only reason you'd get excited about this is because it's something you already recognize made by a studio you already recognize.

The stupidity here is terminal.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-13-2013 03:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Whatever. None of that changes the fact that the only reason you'd get excited about this is because it's something you already recognize made by a studio you already recognize.

The stupidity here is terminal.

Actually this is a terrible way of think and directly related to the long post I am going to unleash like a rain of firey enlightenment*

[small]*might have overplayed that a little[/small]

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-13-2013 09:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GFY, I get your general point, but have you actually played TTG's Walking Dead? It's actually quite good and original despite it being based off of a comic.

IMO, I think it all depends on intent. Will the developer create this game just to milk the IP cash cow? Or will they actually put an effort into adapting an existing IP into a game worth playing? If this were a company like Activision or something, I would totally agree with your sentiment. TTG seems to put a lot more thought into their games and most of them turn out quite well, so I'd be interested in seeing what they have planned.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-13-2013 10:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian knows it.
Usually I agree with GKY's sentiments, but here it's almost like he's completely unfamiliar with TTG's previous work. They've pretty much always worked with existing IP before and most of the time were able to create something nice out of it, with an original take on that existing IP.

So yeah, the games industry rant is a viable one, but GKY is overstretching himself here, because I feel TTG is one developer to whom that rant shouldn't apply (at least, not as much).

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 12-14-2013 12:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-14-2013 01:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
I've said it before I'll say it again: Stop buying shit games so that I don't have to continue working on more shit games. Buy cool games so that I can work on more cool games.

How many times do I have to say this? You blissfully retarded fucking cunts. :up:

Or you could stop blaming other people for your disgruntled demeanor and fix the problem yourself; only work on games you want to work on. Of all devs did that there wouldn't be any shit games anymore.
Oh no wait, then you wouldn't be able to pay your bills. So in the end, instead of hating everybody, you could say "thanks guys, for buying and liking these shit games so I don't have to flip burgers for a living". :up:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-14-2013 02:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, my long post is as follows;

Games made on existing IPs are, for the most part, ways to make money via another branch of entertainment. All to often game execs see a TV program or a film is making billions and get the rights to chuck out some monstrosity of a game to earn a few bucks off the back of it. I would also guess that sometimes (GKY - can you confirm?) a studio will take up the mantle of making a game with an unrealistic time schedule just to keep them afloat and keep their staff paid. The people who are making the game could have zero interest in the game they are making, so that doesn't help either. But on the flip side, sometimes someone who cares about the IP and has the ability to make a good game picks up the mantle and decides to own it. This is what TTG has been doing for a number of years with various games based on various IPs - Sam & Max, Monkey Island, Back to the Future....

If someone has created a rich and beautiful world in books or comics and there is a wealth of high quality source material, then why not make a game about it? There is a reason that these things become popular, because they resonate with something inside a large amount of people. This is not a bad thing and it is not a reason to not make a game based on something existing. So Games of Thrones is being made which does have the aforementioned rich and beautiful world, lovingly crafted over years by George R R Martin which has enough content to support a high quality game. Also, Gearbox has recently given them permission to use the Borderlands IP to create Tales from the Borderlands. Borderlands is one of the best new IPs of the last decade so it should give you some confidence that it has been entrusted to TellTale to further the storylines.

Everything was original once but not everything original is good.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-14-2013 03:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yup - fucking ace games. Moron if you don't agree.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-14-2013 04:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Stop buying shit games so that I don't have to continue working on more shit games. Buy cool games so that I can work on more cool games.

so you have skills but no aspiration or ideas, which makes you 33% of this guy:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.