Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Half Life 3 semi-confirmed

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Half Life 3 semi-confirmed

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 07-26-2013 05:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.maximumpc.com/half_life_3_co ... _maybe2013

"File this one under 'P' for 'possibly real' or 'possibly fake,' but according to NoShitShurlock.com, development of Half Life 3 has already begun. The site claims it received confirmation from John Guthrie, a level designer at Valve and founder of Quake Command, after exchanging numerous emails with him. Half Life 3 is supposedly in the early stage of development, and the goal is to have a trailer ready for next year's E3..."

the biggest threat to such a mammoth ip is the mammoth hype that is surely to be generated by the gaming community alone.

Still a bit of good news :up:

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 07-26-2013 06:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
NoShitShurlock.com

That's a trustworthy source if I've ever seen one.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-26-2013 07:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My only hope for HL3 is that they'll at least start to tying up some of the crazy plot ends that's been dangling around from HL1 and 2. The plot so far has been, "hey look, all this crazy shit happened and then even more crazy shit happened and we're never going to give an answer as to what the fuck just happened." I get it, it's kind of cool waking up after being lost for decades to find that Kansas has gone to shit, but at some point they have to have some form of closure so that you feel as if you're actually accomplishing something rather than just falling deeper into the rabbit hole.

(Pretty sure I'm mixing up my works of fiction, not sure though.)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-26-2013 09:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

First see, then believe

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-26-2013 10:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
First see, then believe

I'd like to see HL3 as well before I get much older :rolleyes:

Also makes me think, yes just maybe play some Half-Life 2 Episode one & two again...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-26-2013 10:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

we've seen concept imagery a few years back. also, getting a trailer before next e3 doesnt mean anything. how uch time was there between hl2's first footage and the actual game? lol.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 07-26-2013 11:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
My only hope for HL3 is that they'll at least start to tying up some of the crazy plot ends that's been dangling around from HL1 and 2. The plot so far has been, "hey look, all this crazy shit happened and then even more crazy shit happened and we're never going to give an answer as to what the fuck just happened." I get it, it's kind of cool waking up after being lost for decades to find that Kansas has gone to shit, but at some point they have to have some form of closure so that you feel as if you're actually accomplishing something rather than just falling deeper into the rabbit hole.

(Pretty sure I'm mixing up my works of fiction, not sure though.)

I'm hoping that they'll do the story line justice. The most interesting bit of info from that article:
"Half Life 3 will be a single-player game only; no multiplayer or co-op"

they want to concentrate on one thing :cool:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-27-2013 12:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
Half Life 3 is supposedly in the early stage of development, and the goal is to have a trailer ready for next year's E3.

uh, what? if what's meant by Half-Life 3 is actually Half-Life 2 Ep 3 (i assume it is) then wtf have Valve been doing all this time since Ep 2. DOTA 2?

fuck u Gabe...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-27-2013 02:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
Quote:
Half Life 3 is supposedly in the early stage of development, and the goal is to have a trailer ready for next year's E3.

uh, what? if what's meant by Half-Life 3 is actually Half-Life 2 Ep 3 (i assume it is) then wtf have Valve been doing all this time since Ep 2. DOTA 2?

fuck u Gabe...

Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Portal 2, lots of Team Fortress 2 stuff, Counter-Strike: GO, Alien Swarm, not to forget everything to do with Steam, the Steambox, R&D in virtual reality tech and probably taking dives into their huge piles of money.
All in all these guys have been pretty busy the past few years.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-27-2013 03:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This would have been in development for a long time and they are just starting to confirm it now. I can't see them only just starting it. Unless they have been smashing through EP3?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-27-2013 03:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nothing has actually been confirmed.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-27-2013 03:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nope - but I would be surprised if they have not been working on arguably their biggest IP for the last 5 or 6 years

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-27-2013 05:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 07-27-2013 07:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

stupid thread fully-confirmed

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-27-2013 07:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Indeed. [insert big IP title here] confirmed threads have a habit of popping up once every year with precise frequency as if it's a public holiday marked on a calendar.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-27-2013 04:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can honestly say i got a Semi for reading this Semi-confirmation thread.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-14-2013 05:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-14-2013 06:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Half Life zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz3.....

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-14-2013 06:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

good one.

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 08-14-2013 07:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Breaking bad already confirmed HL movie: Image

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-14-2013 07:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Theoretical physicist is the same as chemist, right?

PostPosted: 08-14-2013 08:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

as a tyre iron is to a crowbar

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 08-14-2013 08:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And Gordon is in his 60s.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-16-2013 12:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
Half-Life 2 voice actor John Patrick Lowrie has stated that, as far as he knows, Half-Life 3 is not currently in development. The chief reason for this, Lowrie believes, is today's limited motion-capture tech. "As far as I know they are not developing HL3 now for several reasons, among them the mo-cap issue," Lowrie explained in a comment on his blog.

[...]

He went on to explain that while today's mo-cap technology is great for cutscenes and scripted cinematics, it doesn't work so well for emergent reactions. "One of the great things about HL2 is that all of the characters that you meet actually look at you when they talk to you no matter where you go or stand. With mo-cap you can't do that, at least not yet. Once you film the actor doing something and capture that motion, that's what the character is going to do. This works great in movies, but when you make something interactive it gets way less interactive with mo-cap. So that's one of the things they're working on."

Sorry guys.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... evelopment

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-16-2013 12:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah so they defo wouldn't be developing any other parts of the game that didn't involve mo-cap...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-16-2013 01:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why put effort into developing a game you know you can't release yet because you're waiting for technology that you don't know will emerge in the coming years. By the time the technology is here, we may be 10 years down the line and all that effort is wasted. Also, he said there's more reasons.

Still, it remains speculative. As long as there's no official statement from Valve, I don't know what to believe. I'm not holding my breath for HL3 though.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-16-2013 01:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Yeah so they defo wouldn't be developing any other parts of the game that didn't involve mo-cap...

lol keep ignoring all the evidence and hang on to that shred of hope brah.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-16-2013 02:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It seems ludicrous to think they've done nothing at all with their biggest franchise for the last 6 years? No drawings? No concept art? No basic lay outs? Nothing at all?

I'm not buying it; it's real and so is Source 2.

I WANT TO BELIEVE!!! :paranoid:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-16-2013 02:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why would they? They've got money pouring in from Steam anyway.

And I think by now Team Fortress 2 is their biggest money making franchise.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-16-2013 02:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

concept art was already done years ago. concepting does not equal development, and without development shit is being done.

source2 was in that devscreen photo that got leaked. noone knows how long that has been in development nor how long the first stable version will hit.
as always, wait for an official announcement before wetting yourself. doubly so with valve products.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-16-2013 02:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
wait for an official announcement before wetting yourself. doubly so with valve products.

Yes, and then take valve-time into account.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-16-2013 03:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

indeed. Ep3 was officially announced and slated for 2007.
lol episodic gaming.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-16-2013 07:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HL2 animations were decent and seemed to do pretty well without fancy mocap. I doubt (if HL3 is still not in development) that it's being hung out to dry just because they can't get fancy animations working. It's like suspending a whole project because you're missing a single little tick mark.

The possibilities here are that either HL3 is currently under development but in super-secret, or they're not working on it because of some other primary focuses at Valve (maybe technical or development challenges with the next iteration of the Source engine), but it's not going to be on hold due to something small like mocap.

Personally, I think they already finished HL3 but then Gabe ate it.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-16-2013 08:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Personally, I think they already finished HL3 but then Gabe ate it.

Proof that HL3 would have been huge.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-16-2013 08:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I still think it's funny people think Valve's core business is HalfLife while they got two huge money machines in the form of Steam and TF2 going on.
They have been faring fine for the past 6 years without any HL releases.. why would Ep3 be their primary concern?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.