Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        We're fucked...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: We're fucked...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-06-2013 02:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Valve & J.J. Abrams Team Up for Future Games, Films

Quote:
LAS VEGAS — Valve, the game developer behind Half-Life and Portal, and J.J. Abrams’ production studio Bad Robot will work together to produce games and movies, the heads of the two studios said at the DICE Summit on Wednesday.

“There’s an idea we have for a game that we’d like to work with Valve on,” said Abrams while sharing the stage with Valve head Gabe Newell.

“We’re going to figure out if we can make a Portal movie or Half-Life movie together,” Newell said.

As one of the commenters has already pointed out, wtf it J.J.Abrams doing getting his clutches into every single IP that's out there? When is the love-affair with this hack of a director and the stupid masses going to end? I have no doubt whatsoever most of you fagg0ts will throw tonnes of money at it, which will encourage them to continue watering down excellent IPs to the point of the lowest common denominator.

I blame the consumer. Fuck u...

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 02-06-2013 02:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-06-2013 02:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol yeah I read about that this morning. It's not like the entire market isn't already saturated beyond belief, so it's just another chunk of noise in the vast background noise that is the Star Wars brand.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-06-2013 02:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm still not clear how they can do this with either of those games considering neither of the protagonists speak.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-06-2013 02:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very good point

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 02-06-2013 02:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

can one of you guys explain to me why boba fett gets so much nerd love?

jetpack? boring.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 02-06-2013 03:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Psyche911 wrote:
I'm still not clear how they can do this with either of those games considering neither of the protagonists speak.

simple. just get keanu reeves to play gordon :idea:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-06-2013 04:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Psyche911 wrote:

My guess is they're doing it because J.J.Abrams isn't a gamer and has no concept of the gamer imprinting himself onto the avatar...especially in a FPS. I'd also guess that he simply saw that Portal and Half-Life were popular and decided to rape that corpse.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-06-2013 04:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Boba Fett: He's a nemesis to Han Solo like Darth Vader to Luke Skywalker. I suspect it has a lot to do with the original trilogy and how Boba held a certain level of mystique. You never see his face, he has no loyalties, and he's more efficient at catching rebel scum than the whole galactic empire. He could have been some kind of superdroid, or Darth Vader clone for all we know. Then Lucas ruins the mystique by introducing us to a little shaggy haired brat in the new trilogy.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-07-2013 12:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why all the hate for JJ Abrams?
Sure, he doesn't create movies that are exactly deep or deeply emotionally touching, but I guess he's good at what he does, no? It's like complaining that Michael Bay movies never consider the deeper meaning of existence or stuff like that.

I guess everyone's just upset that he's going to be involved with Star Wars and now create some game with Valve. Well let me say two things: Star Wars has hit rock bottom. Can't go any lower. The only way is up. As for Valve, they have yet to make a shit game (ok, let's pretend Ricochet doesn't exist). They're very capable people and JJ Abrams is not an unaccomplished incapable director either. As for a Portal film. Yeah, well, since when have videogame to movie adaptations ever been succesful?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 02-07-2013 05:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

JJ's Star Trek was the best of all of them. Being that Lucas is the so bad at making movies I'm sure the same will hold true for next Star Wars...

By who gives a fuck about Star Wars anymore?..

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 02-07-2013 05:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
JJ's Star Trek was the best of all of them.

No it wasn't.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-07-2013 05:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Why all the hate for JJ Abrams?
Sure, he doesn't create movies that are exactly deep or deeply emotionally touching, but I guess he's good at what he does, no? It's like complaining that Michael Bay movies never consider the deeper meaning of existence or stuff like that.

I guess everyone's just upset that he's going to be involved with Star Wars and now create some game with Valve. Well let me say two things: Star Wars has hit rock bottom. Can't go any lower. The only way is up. As for Valve, they have yet to make a shit game (ok, let's pretend Ricochet doesn't exist). They're very capable people and JJ Abrams is not an unaccomplished incapable director either. As for a Portal film. Yeah, well, since when have videogame to movie adaptations ever been succesful?

There's lots to complain about Michael Bay films that have nothing to do with whether or not his movies considered the deeper meaning of existence or stuff like that.

"Yeah, J.J.Abrams makes shit movies. But they're not horrible shit." What kind of stupid argument is that?

I agree that the Star Wars films have hit rock bottom and can (most likely) only go up, but it sounds to me like you're aware of how shit this could be and yet you're still ready to grab your ankles and take it like a good consumer whore.

Last edited by GONNAFISTYA on 02-07-2013 05:59 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-07-2013 05:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

JJ's star trek was by miles the worst of them all. he has nothing to say. and his work never has anything to say. its like michael bay doing david lynch... fuck. that. shit.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 02-07-2013 05:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd wrote:
JJ's star trek was by miles the worst of them all.

Have you seen all of the Star Trek films? Some of them are outright awful. Abrams' Star Trek certainly wasn't the best, but it was far from the worst.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-07-2013 06:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hells yeah i have. love the star trek. they may not have been great pop corn and sfx movies, but they all had something to say.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 02-07-2013 06:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"This is a shit movie"?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 02-07-2013 06:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd wrote:
JJ's star trek was by miles the worst of them all. he has nothing to say. and his work never has anything to say. its like michael bay doing david lynch... fuck. that. shit.

oh yes because the 80's save the whales film was AWESOME.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 02-07-2013 06:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i liked the last star trek movie, more than i've liked any of the others - but it was a shitty star trek movie.

jj abrams can't do friendship/romance/human stuff. super 8 proved that with his child heroes being thoroughly unconvincing as a group of friends. star trek proved it even more - there were plenty of buddy-movie style interactions, but i didn't believe the friendship between chris pine and karl urban was genuine - same for the other relationships. the incidentals were all there, but none of the subtle stuff. that might be a side-effect of how his movies are produced, but after seeing what joss whedon managed with the avengers (which is even sillier material than star trek), i think a lot of it is down to abrams being a bit of a nerd/cold fish.

trust valve to look after their IP, and a halflife or portal movie could be great if they keep a tight rein on things, but haven't seen anything from abrams yet that makes him seem (like a lot of directors/hollywood folk) like anything more than someone who was in the right place at the right time.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-07-2013 07:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd wrote:
hells yeah i have. love the star trek. they may not have been great pop corn and sfx movies, but they all had something to say.

Invisible Aluminium :up:

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 02-07-2013 07:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:

And even as crappy as that one was, there are a couple more that were even worse.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 02-07-2013 10:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:

BUT THERE BE JOKES HERE

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-07-2013 11:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"In one Goddamned minute captain". lollers.

also, hating on JJ Abrams is old now.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-07-2013 12:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was hating on him long before u losers came to grips with how bad he was.

fuck u...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 02-07-2013 12:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes jj's trek was the best. The dialog in super 8 was just JJ giving tribute to spielburg's style....which is just bad...

The next sw will be the best... But that's not saying much...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-07-2013 12:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol rednecks r sto0pid...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 02-07-2013 01:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

U dipshits don't get it...all Star Trek and Star Wars movies were total shit...JJs was/will be better...

FACT bitches...

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 02-07-2013 02:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jj's star trek was awesome, btw.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 02-07-2013 05:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It was an awesome action/sci fi film. It wasn't an awesome Star Trek film.

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 02-07-2013 06:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It was enjoyable.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-07-2013 10:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
It was an awesome action/sci fi film. It wasn't an awesome Star Trek film.

This. They played a 15-20 minute preview of Into Darkness before The Hobbit in the cinema. It was quite spectacular to see and looked like a promising scifi film, but it wasn't all that much Star Trek.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-08-2013 12:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I really liked the film; JJ isn't anywhere near as bad as people like Micheal Bay. He isn't ever going to be Chris Marker or David Lynch or Aleksandr Sokurov or even Quentin Tarantino, but he makes good blockbusters. Cloverfield was an excellent film; I really it.

He does get a few points off for having a nose like a penis, though.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 02-08-2013 01:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll agree with that.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-08-2013 06:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I must be the only person in the world who thought Cloverfield was actually worse than Roland Emmerich's Godzilla. But then again I think all "found footage" movies are garbage.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 02-08-2013 06:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cloverfag sucked.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.