Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Television help

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Television help

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-17-2011 06:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm thinking about buying a TV but aren't really familiar with what I should look for. I have a fairly bright living room, one wall is a giant floor to ceiling window, so mirror finishes on TVs are annoying. I think I might be able to squeeze in a 50" though more realistically a 46". It'll be for a few movies, internet portal (not the crappy built-in interface, I'll probably have an actual computer plugged in), maybe some gaming though I don't currently own a console, Netflix, Apple TV, etc. I don't care about 3D and will be disabling the frame smoothing processing.

I've read that the Panasonic TCP46ST30 is supposed to be a fantastic choice for plasma, any downsides to this? Just wondering what my LCD/LED alternatives are. Any other features I should look for, things to stay away from, recommendations?

bling bling
bling bling
PostPosted: 12-17-2011 08:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dunno if they've gotten any better over the last year or so since i last looked, but stay away from edge-lit LED displays. If you're gonna go LED backlit you want RGB LED.

some light reading: http://reviews.cnet.com/monitor-buying-guide/

then again if you aren't super anal about having THE BEST PICTURE EVER OMGAZ then just find something on sale that has generally good reviews.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-17-2011 10:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rule of thump says don't go for Plasma if you have a bright room.
I went for a Pana TX-P46GW20. I'm very happy with it, even in daylight :).
Plasma is great for watching DVD/BR imo. It's got that certain smoothness on silhouettes. It's not extra sharp like LCD/LED.

I guess you'll have to try it on your spot.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 12-17-2011 11:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plasma will likely have more glare. i just got a new LG LCD and it's quite nice... quite a bit better than my parents' top-end samsung.
oh, and plasma will use more power and puts off a good deal of heat and can have reduced lifespan at high altitude (from what i've heard).

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 12-17-2011 11:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Obsidian's main objective is to find darker blacks.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-18-2011 12:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-18-2011 03:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

olo

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 12-18-2011 04:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
I think I might be able to squeeze in a 50" though more realistically a 46"

Is that what all the girls normally say to you?

oh yeah!
oh yeah!
PostPosted: 12-18-2011 09:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plasma burn-in is still a problem. I'd avoid them and stick to LCD/LED.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 12-18-2011 09:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

duffman91 wrote:

It's not burn-in, but temporary image retention. It only happens when you have static HUDs or non-transparent watermarks on the screen for extended periods and many sets (including my 51" Samsung model) have built-in tools to prevent it or remove it. Avoiding a plasma TV for this reason is stupid really and the technology has improved a lot over the years.

The main issue with plasma is sometimes there is an audible buzz that can be heard when bright/white pixels fill the screen. It's not really noticeable unless you actively listen for it, but it's a concern nonetheless. As for picture quality, plasma is still leaps above LCD, especially for contrast ratios. Watching movies on my plasma, especially in 3D is just spectacular.

This is my TV, which I bought about a month ago for £630. It's the baws. This website is also decent as a buying guide.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 12-18-2011 01:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i would get a 50 or 60 something size for sure

def a led lcd probly sony or lg

it has to have a matte screen tho i also have a very windowie room

also go to costco and get a wdtv live for gosh sakes!

apple tv :olo:

panasonic :olo:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-18-2011 05:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:

You need new material.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-18-2011 07:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

why does Obsid's blackness come up so often? dude, he rides a white man's road bike, so get off his fucking jock

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 12-18-2011 11:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We own a sony bravia. I feel like they are pretty good.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 12-19-2011 12:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'd wait for the quantumHD TV's. they have higher resolution than real life.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 12-19-2011 12:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unisaw wrote:
LawL wrote:

You need new material.

Show me where I've said anything to that effect before.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 12-19-2011 12:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That is a sexy TV Brisk, do want... and not badly priced at all.
Hmmmmm.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-19-2011 01:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plained wrote:
panasonic :olo:

Why would you say so?
Their cameras sure suck but imo they have the best plasma panels available.
I don't know personally about Samsung panels. Heard they weren't bad. I went for the Pana back then because of the built-in multi-tuner, which is kind of important in Germany, don't know about other countries/your preferences.

Plasma does drain more Watts, but in a legitimate range nowadays. Your bill won't rise by an enormous impact. It's not a green technology though, that is true.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-19-2011 02:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
i'd wait for the quantumHD TV's. they have higher resolution than real life.

IMPOSSIBRU

Say ello to my l'il frien'
Say ello to my l'il frien'
PostPosted: 12-19-2011 03:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually Im looking at a new tv as well. What are your guys thoughts on the Sharp 70" LED LC70LE734U?

plained
plained
PostPosted: 12-29-2011 09:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh man this is alot harder than it looks

I grabbed a sony 55" ex62 :puke:

terrible tv, its like every source into it gets re compressed or something!

and i find the edge lit led terribly dim and weak picture, the whites are dull dull dull

I'm thinking to get a regular cfl lit lcd but witch one!

the edge lit led use just over 100W of power ! thats not enough brightness for a 55" picture imo

the cfl ones use about 350w so at least there is some balls there

help

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 12-29-2011 01:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

watts and brightness aren't the same thing... especially when comparing two different light sources.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-29-2011 02:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Save your money for OLED.

If you have money to burn, though, import a Philips Cinema 21:9 aspect ratio TV, for film greatness (Cinemascope). 58" LED-backlit one goes for about £4000.

oh yeah!
oh yeah!
PostPosted: 12-29-2011 03:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:
duffman91 wrote:

Avoiding a plasma TV for this reason is stupid really and the technology has improved a lot over the years.

"Temporary Image Retention" is the same problem - lack of display clarity as a result of viewing habits.

I disagree with your statements based on observed RMA rates for Plasma versus LCD units at my place of employment. I won't comment on the brands themselves or where I work, so I suppose this is as far as I'll take it.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 12-29-2011 07:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well what good are you then... share the know, brother!

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-29-2011 07:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My 2 cents.

I had (and still have) a Panasonic 42" plasma.
Always been happy with it, never a problem at any time, and I would go back to it in a flash.
It is 8 - 9 yo and lacked HDMI inputs and HD turner. Back then they were monitors only.

I bought a new 46" SONY 3D ("SMART (?)with glasses etc) for the technology leap (and another property we own).
Tenants moved in and had their own stuff about 6 months ago. I tried to (re)sell the SONY but no one pays your price as they want a bargain and the price of tech is still falling.
I finally gave in and put the SONY in the Panasonic pride of place a couple of weeks ago and connected up the new (SONY) blu ray 3D player up.

I watched the Panasonic for years.
I will tell you despite being pretty power hungry (so I've heard) and it appears to run a little hot (warm on top after 3 - 4 hours) and yes I know I've only been watching the 3D LED SONY a few weeks but I do prefer the plasma over the LED so far.
I have noticed the LED goes a little white on viewing from acute angles (say more that 45degrees, like walking past the screen) and the contrast just doesn't appear the same for my taste :)

If I was to buy another TV it would be the new Samsung plasma (the really thin and border-less screen) in about a 50" - 60".
I understand plasmas are not as green but they are better than the older ones for power consumption for the picture quality I expect.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 12-29-2011 08:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

more like 2 pesos , am I right boys... who's with me!

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 12-30-2011 02:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

not me

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 12-30-2011 04:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

duffman91 wrote:
"Temporary Image Retention" is the same problem - lack of display clarity as a result of viewing habits.

I disagree with your statements based on observed RMA rates for Plasma versus LCD units at my place of employment. I won't comment on the brands themselves or where I work, so I suppose this is as far as I'll take it.

"Burn-in" is permanant, whereas image retention is temporary and goes away after watching normal TV for a few hours. I get TIR quite a bit playing console games, as the non-transparent HUDs usually leave their mark if you play for extended periods. I guess it's natural for people to confuse the two and I suppose it is a problem, but certainly not one to RMA over. I never notice it on a full-screen image, unless it is a single bright solid colour. Plasma TV quality on high-end units is still better than the LCD equivalent though, particularly in black levels and viewing angles. Just read any reviewing site and they'll confirm this. It's just a case of living with the quirks of phosphors I suppose.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 12-30-2011 10:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grandpa Stu wrote:
dunno if they've gotten any better over the last year or so since i last looked, but stay away from edge-lit LED displays. If you're gonna go LED backlit you want RGB LED.

some light reading: http://reviews.cnet.com/monitor-buying-guide/

then again if you aren't super anal about having THE BEST PICTURE EVER OMGAZ then just find something on sale that has generally good reviews.

lol i didnt even see this post :dork:

i blame the green!

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 12-30-2011 04:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the color or the plant?

plained
plained
PostPosted: 01-06-2012 10:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so now ive had this LG 55LK520 for a few days

its good the pic quality is really nice

it looks very natural.

that other sony i returned,

i hated the tru blacks bs , all hype

its like the portion of the screen thats supposed to display black is powered off!

so called true blacks are horrible and overated

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.