Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 11-03-2011 03:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone grabbed it yet? I read an interesting bit on Penny Arcade about this, I especially liked the last sentence:

Quote:
The best, that is to say, the most thoughtful review of the game is Simon Parkin's at Eurogamer. You may know that this review, which scored a mere eight out of ten points, was considered so scandalous that the site allowed the game’s lead designer to respond on the site itself. How gruesome and irregular is that? In the future, perhaps they should simply have the lead designer review the game as well; that should head off any unsightly deviations.

The review itself is a pretty good read. No doubt, it's going to be a great game but it's hard to disagree with some of his criticisms.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 11-03-2011 04:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The problem with his "review" is that it wasn't a review at all. It was more a check list of what HE wanted, and what HE never got. When it never matched the game he had in his mind, he slammed it.

Lets be honest here... Slamming a game for being too much like Uncharted 1 and 2 is like slamming a nymphomaniac for wanting sex with you. Its like A) what do you expect and B) its gonna be fucking amazing anyway, so just shut the fuck up, stick the ball gag in and think of England.

I'll be heading into town and picking it up in a bit, becuase silly me only just found out its out NOW, when I thought it was this Friday :( Boo hiss hoo :(

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-03-2011 04:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't worry, you'll have 100%-ed it before anyone else anyway.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 11-03-2011 04:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser. You of all people can't call me a "geek". Least of all on a forum dedicated to a 10 year old dead game you fucking SPONGE :p

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 11-03-2011 04:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My copy arrived yesterday and I played a couple of hours of it around Midnight last night. It's an Uncharted game and plays exactly how you'd expect, which is of course fantastic. The set pieces are brilliant, the voice acting perfect and combat feels great.

What really struck me is that they've somehow managed to improve the graphics beyond UC2's already insanely high standard and the lighting in particular is just incredible. The attention to detail is staggering throughout, with even the smallest, most insignificant of props rendered beautifully. It is without question the most visually stunning console game ever and by quite a margin too.

The Eurogamer review is stupid, simply because they rated UC2 as 10/10, yet agree that UC3 is the better game. The COD series keeps pumping the same game out every year, yet that consistantly gets the same score, or higher. Go figure.

Oh and Eurogamer rated Dead Island 4/10, which was the most ridiculous review score I have ever seen. I tend to just ignore them on principal now, since they've obviously lost the plot.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 11-03-2011 04:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't have a problem with that review.
What I have a problem with are scores. The review itself should serve to inform, and reducing it all so a solitary figure at the end just seems perverse. And don't get me started on commentors who respond "Reads like a 7". That's as bad, if not worse than "First"-tards.

As for the game itself, I'm loving it.
I went into it expecting a linear thrill-ride with satisfying combat, likeable characters and a witty script, and I can't say I'm disappointed. Sure, it's incredibly scripted, but there's a place for that in games.
It's a joy to behold being probably the prettiest thing I've seen on PS3, and the animation is utterly superb and flows ridiculously well. The bar fight at the start of the game had me whooping with joy at the lovely incidental touches that while scripted to an extent, just felt right, such as Drake stumbling into a kitchen counter mid-fight, grasping a frying pan and belting a hoodie in the face with it. And after the main fight as Sully & Nate are making the way for the back door, Drake stumbles about in a wonderfully punch-drunk fashion, reacting realistically to the environment around him.

I still have a problem with the amount of killing in the game though.
The spirit of the Uncharted games is very much based on 80s adventure flicks such as Raiders of the Lost Ark, Goonies and Romancing the Stone, but the body count generated by Drake adds an uncomfortably psychotic edge to the character that is quite out of place with the theme. Sure, people died in 80s adventure flicks, but not in such huge quantities, and not quite so blatantly. It just feels a little too gamey, and somewhat spoils an otherwise almost perfect boys-own romp. In an effort to lessen this effect, I do a lot of melee takedowns, but even with that method, there are instances where it's obvious Drake is breaking necks.

Still, ridiculously good fun, especially if you liked the first two games, and well worth a punt. And Naughty Dog put all other developers to shame when it comes to delivering a cinematic script in games, making Bioware in particular look like the shysters they are. Sure, that's helped by absolutely stellar performances from the actors, probably the best in gaming, but it all helps deliver that popcorn feel that so many other games aspire to yet fail to deliver.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 11-03-2011 05:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^ reads like a 6

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 11-03-2011 06:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You really couldn't release a game in this day and age without killing, not like this, it would be a huge risk, something that I can't see publishers going for.

However, it does open up an untapped area tbh. I mean, I would love a game of this style, where you never killed anybody as such, instead had to defeat them in other ways, always thinking. But again, sadly in this day and age that just means quick time events... :(

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-03-2011 06:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
You really couldn't release a game in this day and age without killing, not like this, it would be a huge risk, something that I can't see publishers going for.

Portal 2 begs to differ.

I understand what you mean though and obviously Portal is more of a very clever puzzle game than a first person shooter but it does show to me that developers can be far more creative in how one progresses through a game.

Why not have the player set up traps that will incapacitate an enemy, which doesn't mean breaking his legs, it means locking him in or making him fall through a trap door or something. I'm not being very creative here myself, but I'm sure games can be a lot smarter about it. I mean, games like Splinter Cell are the perfect games to go and try to do something like this, but usually even Splinter Cell ends up in me breaking the dude's neck, pushing him off the edge of a roof or using a silent pistol to shoot him in the face.

I hope the upcoming Thief game is a bit more creative in this aspect, where avoiding enemies is the smarter option.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 11-03-2011 07:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
You really couldn't release a game in this day and age without killing

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 11-03-2011 08:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:
o'dium wrote:

[BZZZ] SORRY YOU ARE OUT OF ENERGY, YOU MUST SHOOT HIM IN THE FACE WITH A SHOTGUN.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-03-2011 10:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:
o'dium wrote:

Batman Arkham.

also, the previous splinter cells penalized you for killing. yes it was an option but the less damage you did to the baddies or their surroundings the better. in short, only noobs use guns.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 11-03-2011 11:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Batmans not so much "not killing" though, because the enemies never really die but they also never come back. They could just as easily be dead. But I like the idea of having to lay people out, set traps and the like, just like the classic 80's flicks, would work really well.

Also you can't count DE:HR because stealth isn't the only way.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 11-03-2011 02:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
I don't have a problem with that review.
What I have a problem with are scores.

To be sure, the value of a numeric scoring system is debatable. The content of the review being far more useful, but simultaneously harder to gauge and compare against other games. You actually have to read and process a review, in context of your own taste and preference. I guess that's partly why I enjoy the Zero Punctuation reviews so much as well. Aside from being funny, he also gives you a pretty comprehensive list of his grievances and also tells you which bits work well.

As for the Eurogamer reviews, it was different people who reviewed Uncharted 2 and 3, so you can't just point to the publication itself and call it hypocritical. I did not intend to highlight the score itself, just what the guy had written.

Picking up my copy tomorrow, can't wait :up:

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 11-03-2011 03:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The guy who reviewed UC3 at Eurogamer also gave Brink an 8/10. As such, his opinion can be considered void and worthless. That is all.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 11-03-2011 03:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so what review source do you read?

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 11-03-2011 03:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All of them actually. I can usually tell if i'll like the game just by watching it in action via a video review or a demo, though these are rare nowadays.

It's pretty easy to interpolate how a game will play by reaching a middle ground between the blind fanboy reviewers (IGN usually) to the overly-critical attention seekers (Eurogamer)

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-03-2011 05:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I played a couple of hours of it at work today. Good game but brawling can be tedius and they didn't improve the gunplay at all....it still sucks.

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 11-03-2011 06:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

some dumb dumb on ign gave this game a perfect score...more proof those 'game reviewers' don't even play video games...

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 11-07-2011 04:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finally beat it. Somebody wanna tell me the deal with that Talbot guy? Like how he could just disapear into thin air, or how he was shot and nothing happened?

Seems like there was a plot point there that they removed and forgot about :S

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-08-2011 01:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

heh, they pulled a Wesker ey?
he was awesome in Code Veronica, right until he was never seen again :up:

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 11-08-2011 02:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Code Veronica... I would pay good money for a HD remake of that. Bloody amazing game thanks to that soundtrack...

But yeah, Talbot was just... Odd... For a stooge to the odd womans plans, he wasn't half hell bent on "helping". In fact, he seemed more bloodyevil that SHE did. Plus yeah, the guy was fucking shot in the chest, even Charlie brought the point up, but then it was forgotten...

I'm betting some DLC bollocks will be dropped to "fill in the gap". Thats about par for the course these days, right id software?

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 11-08-2011 02:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SPOILERS

I also found it strange how Chloe/Cutter just suddenly disappeared and are never seen again too, especially since they were the main focus in the first half. I realise he broke his leg, but you'd at least think they'd be in the ending sequence...

The story was full of plot holes and inconsistencies, but I suppose the whole thing is fantastical by nature anyway, I mainly enjoy the insane set pieces, action and locations. The combat pisses me off when things get frantic, because the enemy AI is smart and they flank you hard. Aiming on a controller is a fucking pain in the ass and lead to more than one rage inducing moments for me.

Not a perfect game by any means, but cock solid nonetheless.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-08-2011 03:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Code Veronica... I would pay good money for a HD remake of that.

Excuse me but.... this.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 11-08-2011 03:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I would pay good money for a HD REMAKE ;) i.e. not a bloody up scale job.

I'm still waiting for them to re-release REBirth on a next gen system with 1080p. That would be fucking insane... Its not like they made the game and then deleted all the art assets... CV and RE2 remakes are all I need.

brisk wrote:
SPOILERS

I also found it strange how Chloe/Cutter just suddenly disappeared and are never seen again too, especially since they were the main focus in the first half. I realise he broke his leg, but you'd at least think they'd be in the ending sequence...

The story was full of plot holes and inconsistencies, but I suppose the whole thing is fantastical by nature anyway, I mainly enjoy the insane set pieces, action and locations. The combat pisses me off when things get frantic, because the enemy AI is smart and they flank you hard. Aiming on a controller is a fucking pain in the ass and lead to more than one rage inducing moments for me.

Not a perfect game by any means, but cock solid nonetheless.

I caught the Chloe/Cutter thing as well. When I beat the end I thought "so, what happened to those two then?". To be honest, the second is still the best, and while I enjoyed it I found some of the changes to be rather annoying... I could write an entire wall of text about how when THAT place near the end starts to collapse, it made aiming at, well, anything smaller than the moon, a fucking chore...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-08-2011 05:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was thinking of replaying REBirth soon :)
needs to get me some Cube component cables :/

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.