Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Well hell may be freezing over (workout)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Well hell may be freezing over (workout)

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-15-2008 10:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i haven't squatted since high school...and rarely did then. so i started low at 195...i'm up to 245...4 sets of 8-10...i increase the weight 5 pds every workout. then i do a a burn out set of 150pds at 25-30 reps... and 4 sets of lunges...no dead lift for now. squats own though...took me about 2 months to feel good doing them...now it's easier at 245 then it was at 195. my first week of squats my heart rate would jump to 160 after a set...now it stays below 120...or the last time i checked...prolly lower now...it's all good...

guru
guru
PostPosted: 11-15-2008 01:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
how's this for the new workout? over training...or total domination?...

run 2-3 miles every other day...

monday: back and bis
tuesday: shoulders
wednesday: chest and tris
thursday: no lifting
friday: legs
saturday: no lifting
sunday: repeat...

2 weeks after adding at least 200g of protein to my diet and am noticing good strength gains...

jellus?...

Maybe switch chest and tris with legs (do legs on wed, chest and tri on Fri). Give your upper body a little more rest prior to that workout.

People usually make big gains when they are finally getting enough protein if they haven't been for a long time.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 11-15-2008 01:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
i haven't squatted since high school...and rarely did then. so i started low at 195...i'm up to 245...4 sets of 8-10...i increase the weight 5 pds every workout. then i do a a burn out set of 150pds at 25-30 reps... and 4 sets of lunges...no dead lift for now. squats own though...took me about 2 months to feel good doing them...now it's easier at 245 then it was at 195. my first week of squats my heart rate would jump to 160 after a set...now it stays below 120...or the last time i checked...prolly lower now...it's all good...

What kind of stance are you using? Wide, narrow, or middle? How deep?

Stiff-legged deadlifts are great if you aren't doing them. Don't lock your legs straight when doing them...slight bend in the legs and then hold them still while using a very controlled motion for the lift. Those will help with your squat.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 11-15-2008 04:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:

:olo:

guru
guru
PostPosted: 11-15-2008 07:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I miss being able to do squats. Bar would rest right on my fusion if I did them now.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-15-2008 08:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:

good stuff bitch.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 11-15-2008 09:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if you deadlift heavy you won't have pussy traps

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 11-15-2008 09:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shut up idiot.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 11-15-2008 10:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kaz wrote:
if you deadlift heavy you won't have pussy traps

You don't need deads to avoid weak traps.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 11-15-2008 11:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
Shut up idiot.

U defensive?

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 11-15-2008 11:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He mad.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 11-16-2008 12:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kaz wrote:
LawL wrote:
Shut up idiot.

U defensive?

U a dumbass?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-16-2008 07:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i use a shoulder width or a little more stance and go DEEP....scared?...

guru
guru
PostPosted: 11-16-2008 07:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not of those weights. But glad to hear you are making progress. Like I said, you should re-arrange the split.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 11-16-2008 02:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
i use a shoulder width or a little more stance and go DEEP....scared?...

No need to elaborate on how you fuck your dad, faggot. :olo:

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 11-16-2008 09:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

crushed :olo: you keeping your weight on your heels, and not letting the knees go forward?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-16-2008 10:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
Maybe switch chest and tris with legs (do legs on wed, chest and tri on Fri). Give your upper body a little more rest prior to that workout.

how about i switch the shoulders to day after legs?...

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 11-16-2008 11:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What a n00b. :olo:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-17-2008 04:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
i'm a n00b. :olo:

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 11-17-2008 05:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
i got aids...

guru
guru
PostPosted: 11-17-2008 04:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
tnf wrote:

how about i switch the shoulders to day after legs?...

Or that.

And yea, watch those knees going out past the toes. Major increase to the shearing force on the patellar tendon.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 11-17-2008 05:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
And yea, watch those knees going out past the toes. Major increase to the shearing force on the patellar tendon.

Interesting. I was under the impression that was a matter of some debate. Alwyn Cosgrove and Dos Remedios among others have debunked that as a myth a number of times in their writings. Can you elaborate further?

guru
guru
PostPosted: 11-17-2008 07:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I haven't read their stuff, all the information I've ever read including stuff from Dr.Hatfield indicated it did, here are a couple things:
http://www.physicaltherapist.com/articles/view/id/3
Increased stress on the patellar tendon as the knees go past the toes. There are times in life and in the weight room where the knee will make its way out past the toes, especially with squats and lunges. If the heels are down and hips are contributing properly then no problem. Once the heels come off the floor you can kiss any glute contribution good-bye. It's all quad from there on out which means greater stress on the patellar tendon, shearing forces, and those nasty compressive forces again as well.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drsquat12.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drsquat12.htm

During the descent phase of any type of squat, do not allow the knees to extend beyond your feet. The further your knees travel over your feet, the greater the shearing forces on the patellar tendon and ligament.

But who knows, maybe they are wrong.

I read an article a long, long, long time ago that showed the value of the shearing forces on the patellar tendon in those different positions and it was markedly higher on them in that position. But I'd have to agree with one thing that perhaps this idea got started because people who usually have their knees out past their toes can sometimes come up off their heels and lean forward...maybe that is where this whole idea was generated.

Glad you posted that, I haven't looked into this stuff for a long time.
http://www.exrx.net/Kinesiology/Squats.html

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-02-2008 07:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i dunno...seems like what i am doing is under-training. how about 4 days on, 1 off then repeat...10-16 sets per body part...is that over-training? cuz it seems my legs recover in 3-4 days and the rest in 2-3 days...

when did this one body part per week thing happen? cuz back in real man days this was unheard of...

plained
plained
PostPosted: 12-02-2008 07:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

when i train i train fairly light and that would def undertrain me!

i'm no bodybuilder thats 4 sure

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 12-02-2008 08:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
when did this one body part per week thing happen? cuz back in real man days this was unheard of...

Christ :olo:

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 12-02-2008 09:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
i dunno...seems like what i am doing is under-training. how about 4 days on, 1 off then repeat...10-16 sets per body part...is that over-training? cuz it seems my legs recover in 3-4 days and the rest in 2-3 days...

You could also consider a movement-based workout instead of a traditional bodybuilding-style body part split. Check out Chad Waterbury, Mark Verstegen, Robert dos Remedios', or Alwyn Cosgrove's books, t-nation articles, or websites. I'm sure Feedback can give a lot more pointers on the subject too.

PostPosted: 12-02-2008 03:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mark Verstegen has some of the best performance driven training. go to coreperformance.com and sign up for the 7 day trial, you can get workouts there for free for 7 days.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-08-2008 11:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wtf thats like infomercial moronics...

anyways, i added partial deadlifts to my back day and man those things kick ass...nothing compares for back...

guru
guru
PostPosted: 12-08-2008 06:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with trying to decrease your rest time and seeing if it works. If not, back off again.

I guess it depends on what you are really training for. If you want all around athletic performance increases, might be worth incorporating plyometrics into your training as well.

Might have already asked this (can't be arsed to search back through) but are you doing stiff legged deadlifts? When I could do them, they were one of my exercises even with skinny wide receiver legs. Really helped my squat too.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 12-09-2008 05:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
wtf thats like infomercial moronics...

anyways, i added partial deadlifts to my back day and man those things kick ass...nothing compares for back...

:olo:

Numero Uno
Numero Uno
PostPosted: 12-09-2008 09:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

still the king...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-09-2008 10:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

damn since i changed to a hi protein diet a month or so ago my arms have gone from 15 1/4 to 16 3/4...i'm unstoppable! jellus?...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 01-14-2009 09:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'm gonna deload next week and then try this for a while...

monday - chest
tuesday - bi/tri
wednesday - shoulders
thursday - legs
friday - back
sat - off
repeat

the gains just keep on coming...jellus?...

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 01-14-2009 09:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol what a retarded workout plan.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.