Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        PHOTOS PLEASE

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: PHOTOS PLEASE

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-05-2009 05:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:

KITTEH!

lol, this is a really, really great picture.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-06-2009 08:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-07-2009 07:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Image I finished working on today:

plained
plained
PostPosted: 10-07-2009 07:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wow ur pics really great ey

i like the dramas in there!

guru
guru
PostPosted: 10-07-2009 02:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeahso wrote:

That is fanfuckingtastic.

How much post-processing is involved in an image like this? Phenomenal.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-07-2009 03:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so i guess he REALLY DIDN'T WANT HIS FUCKING PICTURE TAKEN

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-07-2009 03:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
Yeahso wrote:

That is fanfuckingtastic.

How much post-processing is involved in an image like this? Phenomenal.

Thanks. Not too much really. Couple of texture overlays, around 40 smart objects(sounds like a lot, but it's mostly small adjustments to exposure at key points then layer-masked). Some clarity increases on other layers and some more layers with different blend modes.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-07-2009 03:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, I've also recieved three letters of complaint about this image after posting it on my blog.

Here's my favourite:

"Knowing the asylum you visit as i do, i feel your pictures represent a very warped view of the place and are inappropriate. lets hope it is demolished soon to put a stop to people like you completely overlooking the history and meaning of the place. i find it all a bit sick."

Boo hoo fuckface.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 10-07-2009 03:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heh.

I think you do it justice.

It's not like the crappy photographer in this area that takes fugly bikini-clad women (the sort of girls who would be working the pole at 11:00 am on a Tuesday afternoon ugly) and has them in all sorts of odd poses in the local cemeteries.

It might not look as bad if he was shooting them well or using attractive women, but neither is the case, so it just looks...bad.

What did you use for the blood?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-07-2009 03:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LOL that sounds absolutely fucking awful

haha

I used blood for the blood! Just a vector I grabbed form somewhere a while ago

Realistic Gore
Realistic Gore
PostPosted: 10-07-2009 05:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
11:00 am on a Tuesday afternoon

My mate at Parklife on Sunday

guru
guru
PostPosted: 10-08-2009 02:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

JB wrote:
tnf wrote:
11:00 am on a Tuesday afternoon

Oops. Well, I get up at 5am every day, so 11 am is afternoon for me.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 10-09-2009 02:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So here is one from my first ever attempt at a night shoot with lights in the background. Can see the shot pre- and post-processing here. Again, long ways to go, but for the first attempt I'm happy enough.

Before processing:

After:

Showing the before and after because I am really amazed at how spot on things would have had to be for shots to turn out right before the days of photoshop. Normally I would try and get the lighting much better on the original shot, but I was a bit pressed for time as everyone had places to go so we just fired off a few attempts with an old Nikon SB25 remotely triggered and shot through an umbrella - gave a pretty harsh shadow that I tried to soften post-processing.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 10-09-2009 03:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Who's the chick?

guru
guru
PostPosted: 10-09-2009 05:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A model that responded to an ad I posted looking for people who wanted to do some TFP work with me (Time for Prints) - basically a way to build up both my portfolio and hers. She was in town visiting her mother for the week - models a bit in the Hollywood area.

Realistic Gore
Realistic Gore
PostPosted: 10-09-2009 07:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:

Is this the finished product?

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 10-09-2009 07:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
A model that responded to an ad I posted looking for people who wanted to do some TFP work with me (Time for Prints) - basically a way to build up both my portfolio and hers. She was in town visiting her mother for the week - models a bit in the Hollywood area.

Hmmmm... That wasn't the responce I was expecting . I was kind of hoping that you were gonna say that she's your wife. But now it looks like a full on loser fest. You're not a professional photographer, she's not hot enough to be a model and everyone essentially wasted their time.

Nice pic though.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 10-09-2009 07:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why so bitter?

:olo: YGP I'm not out looking for fucking professional fashion models you jackass. I'm looking for people to do some shots of as a way to build up a portfolio of shots my portrait/wedding business since I've just recently started it.

And you aren't one to categorize hot.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 10-09-2009 07:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

JB wrote:
tnf wrote:

Is this the finished product?

For now, but not one that I am going to classify as a long-time keeper. Was the first attempt at even doing this type of shot and I didn't use the lighting equipment that I would normally have gone with for something I wanted to use for advertising purposes. Main goal for this first shoot was to get the exposure down and look for a location.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-10-2009 01:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

basically gramps is saying that the chick he hoped was your wife isn't hot enough to be a model, thereby spending his entire year's irony allowance in one post

Realistic Gore
Realistic Gore
PostPosted: 10-10-2009 01:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
For now, but not one that I am going to classify as a long-time keeper. Was the first attempt at even doing this type of shot and I didn't use the lighting equipment that I would normally have gone with for something I wanted to use for advertising purposes. Main goal for this first shoot was to get the exposure down and look for a location.

I brought it up because i found it quite difficult to choose the mood you were going for. The exposure was good, just to me it looked like it lacked tone. And your lighting could have been a bit more strategic.

bling bling
bling bling
PostPosted: 10-10-2009 02:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

for a first time attempt i gotta give kudos. you did a good job of bringing more life to the model without making it look overly worked. a few critiques though.

in the upper left corner next to the green dot and white blur it looks like some piece of a building or something is appearing but the rest isnt. might see what it looks like to take that out and/or clean that area up in general. same goes for the space above her hair. almost looks like she has wisps of energy floating off or her.

is that a tattoo on her left arm? not that tattoos are bad, but at that angle you might consider removing it. also, don't be afraid to modify her features a bit. if you're going to be smoothing out wrinkles and skin tone then you might as well make the eyes and chin bit more symmetrical.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 10-10-2009 05:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gwamps, if you have nothing to add to the photo thread, stay the fuck outta it.

-DM

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-10-2009 07:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

JB wrote:
tnf wrote:

I brought it up because i found it quite difficult to choose the mood you were going for. The exposure was good, just to me it looked like it lacked tone. And your lighting could have been a bit more strategic.

Yeah, I agree with this. Night shots are hard, especially trying to get the lighting to look natural while still illuminating the person well enough (especially since you were pressed for time). In this case, she's well lit, but it doesn't look natural. With the amount of contrast between her (well lit) and the background (night time) she almost looks like she is photoshopped into the background. I think you need something in the near-ground to "place" her so she doesn't look like she's floating. Also, she probably shouldn't be wearing something so dark for a night shoot.

The fence here gives the viewer some judgment of distance and then fades out into the darkness of the background.

Nice work on blending out the harsh shadows, though. Maybe smooth out that U shaped neck line as well.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 10-10-2009 08:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. Like I said, it's not a shot I would consider a great example of a night in the city image - everything ended up being very last minute even though I had been planning on doing it for awhile since the weather was hit or miss. When it finally looked like things would be OK, we just threw something together with a single flash and umbrella. We will probably try it again the next time she is in town and I'll be going for something that conveys a lot more than this one does (honestly the main reason I worked on this one is that it was the only shot where the exposure and focus were manageable). Good suggestions and observations everyone - always useful as I'm pretty much clueless to what I am doing 99% of the time.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 10-10-2009 09:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Back on point, since all I am really focusing on right now is doing portraits for people (aside from the landscapes that I've mentioned), question for people is do you think that the touch ups on the face that I've done are OK? I know Stu mentioned symmetry of the eyes, but is there anything else (other than the bad lighting) that stands out? Really doesn't matter who the model is or what they have done in the past, I just want to get a decent workflow down that I can do on autopilot.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-10-2009 09:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

right now i'm wondering if nicotine withdrawal plus ownership of a firearm is a good mix :olo:

back on topic:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-10-2009 10:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pruned of retardation, back on topc now.

Realistic Gore
Realistic Gore
PostPosted: 10-10-2009 03:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
Back on point, since all I am really focusing on right now is doing portraits for people (aside from the landscapes that I've mentioned), question for people is do you think that the touch ups on the face that I've done are OK? I know Stu mentioned symmetry of the eyes, but is there anything else (other than the bad lighting) that stands out? Really doesn't matter who the model is or what they have done in the past, I just want to get a decent workflow down that I can do on autopilot.

The U shaped neck line is my only problem with it, as far as shading goes. Also, was there a light directly behind her?

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 10-10-2009 04:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:

Hmm something doesn't seem to sit right for me, I think I agree with the it looks like it's been photoshopped comment.

It also kinda look like her right eye is lower and slightly bonged: :dork: You wanna get ye olde liquidize tool on that shit.

edit: actually the more I look at it the more it looks like the right side of her face has been totally stalloned. It's probably just the scenario of looking at something for too long and it messing with your brain, the chin and nose are popping out at me now too.

edit2: oh I see it's already been mentioned. At what point does the model start getting offended that you change the shape of their face? I can understand blemishes and the like, but when it comes to modifying something like her chin, does that start being an issue? I think I'd be offended.

Realistic Gore
Realistic Gore
PostPosted: 10-10-2009 04:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
At what point does the model start getting offended that you change the shape of their face? I can understand blemishes and the like, but when it comes to modifying something like her chin, does that start being an issue? I think I'd be offended.

It occurs to me that just by being a model, in quite a literal sense, shes expected to accept the fact that shes going to be changed and altered in post-processing. So if youre the type of person to be offended by that, youre not the type of person to be a model :smirk:

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 10-10-2009 04:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Indeed, but if I were going to make the concious decision to become a model, I'd have to be pretty self confident and have a fairly high opinion of my own image, for that image to then be 'perfected' by a photographer time and time again would draw attention to the fact that in fact I have a chin like a flaitron rock pinacle and seriously demoralise me and lower my self esteem. Leading to a cocaine fuelled downward spiral in my life and career resulting in a premature, lonely and unhappy death.

I can understand removing temporary blemishes and even skin wrinkles etc, just wondered if there's a professional point at which to stop with the post processing of the model's features? :shrug:

guru
guru
PostPosted: 10-10-2009 05:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1) A lot of the shots I see have a softened look to them that does indicate processing has been done - I think there is definitely a situational thing involved there as to when a slightly processed look isn't a problem and when you don't want it to show.

2) Phant - I'm very new at this, but I've been doing a ton of reading and studying of images and I'm still finding that there doesn't seem to be an obvious answer as to what is too much processing, where to stop, etc. I'm sure that as I learn more that point will become clearer.
The book I am reading right now walks you through the processing the author did with a professional model and he went so far as to clone her eyes to get them more symmetrical.

3) I think we are staring at this one image for too long. ;)

I think most of the things we are talking about here are a non-issue if I had used better lighting that didn't require as much work to smooth and balance harsh shadows on the face in the first place. Even having an assistant holding a reflector to fill the other side of her face with light would have helped.

But we can put a fork in this one, and I do appreciate the time everyone took to give me some good insights.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-11-2009 03:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Only problem I see with the photo is that you should've shot her from the right. Her left side is her pretty side.

Nothing wrong with the processing, you did a decent job considering the imperfections on her skin in the first picture.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-11-2009 06:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Landscape I took yesterday

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.