Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Business 'structures' in the US and other countries

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Business 'structures' in the US and other countries

BLARG
BLARG
PostPosted: 02-10-2005 02:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I used 'structures' because I couldn't think of a better word.

Okay, here's what I've been asking myself for a while:

If you start a business, have some (serious) liabilities, and the business fails, what happens?
Do they come after your personal belongings, essentially making you broke for life or at least quite a few years?

In Germany, we have quite a few different structures. Some examples:

Companyname, GBR
A private company, an entity you put money in, but if it fails, you're responsible for all liabilities.

Companyname, GmbH
"Company with limited liability"
A so called 'capital company'. You have to put at least € 25,000 into it, and supposedly you're not responsible for the liabilities when it goes tits-up.
In fact, however, there is something called "manager's liability", making the manager responsible for the liabilities. So it doesn't really offer much protection. Only stupid people think it does, because many people don't know about "manager's liability".
Manager's liability isn't really in the law (or at least only for "Managers who act very irresponsible", ie stealing from the company), but the courts constructed it, probably forced by big$ banks who wanted their money back.

Companyname, AG
Publicly traded company with CEO, Board, etc...
You have to put at least € 50,000 into it, and supposedly you're protected from liability. However, courts have used manager's liability in this case as well.

So essentially, if you want to start a company without the (high) probability of living the rest of your life as a bum, you better already have a lot of money to start at least an AG. (And even that isn't guaranteed)
I think that's a big part of the problem why Germany's economy has slowed to a crawl. Nobody dares to go ahead and do something, because it will probably turn against you.

Now I was interested in the business models of other countries.
Imagine you'd start a company, what options do you have and what would happen if you go broke?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-10-2005 02:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

over here, its about the same :)

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command, we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine patris, et fili, et spiritus sancti.

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 02-10-2005 03:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's very similar in the States, the private business would be one that you own and operate yourself, assuming all the liability.
Then there's the US equivalent of the GmbH, the Limited Liability Corporation, or LLC.
Then there's the actual corporations: Fuckhead Industries, Incorporated.

BLARG
BLARG
PostPosted: 02-10-2005 03:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How are liabilities handled with LLC and Inc.?
Are you fucked if you fail?

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 02-10-2005 03:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, in the first case, the owner operator assumes all liability. So, you'd need private insurance to keep from losing all your personal property in case you lost a lawsuit against your business.
In the LLC, there are limits (as you'd expect) to how much you can personally lose if someone sues you.
If it's a corporation that loses a lawsuit, your personal holdings are immune, unless you benefitted from doing something blatantly illegal, ala Enron.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-10-2005 03:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ima private business :shrug:

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command, we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine patris, et fili, et spiritus sancti.

BLARG
BLARG
PostPosted: 02-10-2005 03:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's how it was supposed to be over here, but the concept got fucked over by manager's liability.

electric sheep
electric sheep
PostPosted: 02-10-2005 09:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

theres always bankruptcy.. :shrug:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.