Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        I never learn...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

guru
guru
PostPosted: 03-06-2005 11:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kracus wrote:
bitWISE wrote:
I still haven't gone to a big tournament. I'm pretty good and I think I would be even better playing people I don't even know.

There's a lot to it. I'm a pretty good player, I often do well in local tournaments and among friends I'm always a threat. But all in all I'd say it's 70% luck 30% skill.

I am assuming you are talking pool?

I'd say not quite 70% luck. And the skill breaks down to a lot more than most people realize, as you probably know. I played a lot of people who had great technique, etc., but absolutely zero strategy.

I played from the time I could see over the table at our house. WOuld go in streaks where I would play every day for months on end, then stop for a couple months. I won a couple local nine ball tournies, but nothing big.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 03-06-2005 11:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
Kracus wrote:
bitWISE wrote:
I still haven't gone to a big tournament. I'm pretty good and I think I would be even better playing people I don't even know.

There's a lot to it. I'm a pretty good player, I often do well in local tournaments and among friends I'm always a threat. But all in all I'd say it's 70% luck 30% skill.

I'd say not quite 70% luck. And the skill breaks down to a lot more than most people realize, as you probably know. I played a lot of people who had great technique, etc., but absolutely zero strategy.

I played from the time I could see over the table at our house. WOuld go in streaks where I would play every day for months on end, then stop for a couple months. I won a couple local nine ball tournies, but nothing big.

Nope. We were talking about texas hold'em poker. The greatest card game ever (although Euchre is close).

guru
guru
PostPosted: 03-06-2005 11:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:
tnf wrote:
Kracus wrote:
bitWISE wrote:

Nope. We were talking about texas hold'em poker. The greatest card game ever (although Euchre is close).

doh! I should have read the whole thread...I know I've heard Kracus talk about pool before.

Texas hold 'em is fun. Haven't played it much though...mainly stuck with 5-card. A friend and I worked as a team (other players at the table didn't know it). We had a whole series of signals worked up to communicate the strength or weakness of our hand, and if we wanted the other person to try and bluff or get the pot bigger. It wasn't that sophisticated, but it worked when we'd be invited over to poker nights at friends houses. MOre than once, we left with all the money.

PostPosted: 03-06-2005 11:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
Kracus wrote:
bitWISE wrote:

Oh hell no, and not to brag but I'm a very adpet pool shot. Pool is ALL about skill and maybe a little luck don't hurt. I've never played tournaments or anything like that but I'm a well known pool shark around these parts and that's pretty impressive because SJ has a LOT of really good pool shooters. There's pool halls here at almost every corner it's a pretty big passion around here.

I'm by no means the best in the world but you put 20$ on the table and unless you'll be lucky to shoot once. I've run many a table and my game has improved dramaticly from when I first started shooting. The shooters around town taught me a lot though and they are good. Like Jeff Kenedy and the Peter Wedge these are all players that play on TSN and shit like that, seriously.

They kick my arse mind you but at a bar I usualy tend to make on average 50$ to 100$ a night sharking people around town at the local pool halls. It's fun to have the skill enough to have the confidence to just show up at a table and shoot for cash too. I love pool though, it's an awsome game.

PostPosted: 03-06-2005 11:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
bitWISE wrote:
tnf wrote:
Kracus wrote:
bitWISE wrote:

doh! I should have read the whole thread...I know I've heard Kracus talk about pool before.

Texas hold 'em is fun. Haven't played it much though...mainly stuck with 5-card. A friend and I worked as a team (other players at the table didn't know it). We had a whole series of signals worked up to communicate the strength or weakness of our hand, and if we wanted the other person to try and bluff or get the pot bigger. It wasn't that sophisticated, but it worked when we'd be invited over to poker nights at friends houses. MOre than once, we left with all the money.

Holdem is definitely the better game. It's a whole different strategy, get your friend to play with ya and then play with some people/friends. Excellent game.

PostPosted: 03-06-2005 12:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
I remember those days, from about 20 until I was 26...then I stopped abruptly.

I can't remember how many times I was puking up bile the next morning telling myself..."never, ever, ever again." Without fail, either that next night, or within the week, I was out again, drinking Jaeger after Jaeger....uggghhh..

I've been away from it so long I don't miss it...and I hate the idea of wasting a day or more recuperating.

I noticed that after 25, hangovers seemed to last longer. I used to be able to drink myself stupid, then make it to the gym the next day, so long as I kept myself hydrated the night before. If I do that now, I am out of commission for a minimum of 2 days...

Yeah see everyone goes through this stage and if there's one thing I know about myself is that I do everything late. 24. :smirk:

It's my blessing and my curse, I've accomplished a lot as a kid because I stayed out of trouble and rather than waste my time going out and drinking/socializing I spent my time alone so it's like everything I'm doing now I do because I've never done them before.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.