Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Quake 3 for Pocket PC

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake 3 for Pocket PC

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 10:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Probably old, but hey, it's new for me

http://www.noctemware.com/q3ce.html

Damn, it requires 40 megs of RAM....and if it crashes you'll need to hard-reset the device. Think I'll pass since I have a lot of valuable info and I don't feel like putting the backup back.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 10:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ooohh nice! 5FPS! Its kinda like Doom for the iPod. :D

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 10:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The world has gone mad

PostPosted: 11-13-2005 10:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Throw in one of those high fps configs, should chug along well enough.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 11:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

why would anyone want to play a game like quake3 on such a device?

canis
canis
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 11:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its not a matter of how well one could do it, but rather that one is capable of it. Just imagine getting a frag by using that thing...I'd laugh heartily. :)

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 11:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

aww nice, ive been waiting to see this.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 11:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, the fps are even playable
Quote:
I am currently achieving 15-25 FPS on the x50v, and it's totally playable. Expect a release sometime this weekend. The memory footprint has been tightened up (although some unconventional memory tricks were used, more on that at a later date).

As for batching and reducing draw calls, the guys at iD already did a lot of that in the Q3A codebase. Turns out that the part that slows things down the most is the bot AI, due to all the complex path-tracing and scene intersection testing code. Having 4 bots in the arena slows things down to 5-10 FPS depending on how much activity is going on. Working on that now.

http://www.pocketmatrix.com/forums/view ... sc&start=0

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 11:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i still don't get it.

It's a fucking travesty.

i'm assuming no mouse, so that's a big strike

the product webpage itself says that multiplayer is almost non-functional

Quote:
Network support is obviously limited. Your Pocket PC likely doesn't have a very fast internet connection, so your ping times are going to be crap. Hell, it might not even work. Maybe in the next release...

and 5-10fps once you start playing with other models in the arena.

So what is it good for?

it's a fucking gimmick.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 11:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well duh its a gimmick what dya expect from a pocket pc.
what could be rlly nice tho is that u could plug a keyboard and mouse in and plug ur ppc to a tv, then you could play q3 everywhere on the go :D

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 11:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[xeno]Julios wrote:

thats with bots running, w/ forcemodel it should be doable right, picmip 95566565 etc.

started out quake3 on my 133mhz, 48mb machine doing 0-15 fps and 999ping, still had great fun :)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 11:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

but seriously, why would someone actually pay money to play in such a castrated fashion?

i don't consider:

"OOOH coz it looks so cool and i can tell my friends about it"

a reason.

seriously - give me a detailed scenario where this game would bring you value.

You can't even strafe run or do flick shots...

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 12:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pay?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 12:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if u mean download and try out... id love to. don't have an x50v unfortunately.

but the pluggin in mouse/keyboard and hooking up to tv doesn't sound interesting?? fkn mobile console man...think about the future :drool:

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 12:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've got the saturn port of Tomb Raider installon on my pda

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 12:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:

port? that shit started out on the saturn! :D

ahh memories... despite a lot of crap that system, there was some superb games for it too :(

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 12:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

and yes, quake 3 on a pocket pc is a gimmick, nothing more. i thought that getting a java-equiped phone would mean i waste tonnes of time playing games on it, but after the initial gimmick value wore off, i stopped.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 01:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:
Doombrain wrote:

it was a near simultaneous release for psx, saturn and pc actually

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 01:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
brisk wrote:
Doombrain wrote:

it was a near simultaneous release for psx, saturn and pc actually

The history of the lovely Lara Croft goes back to 1996 when Tomb Raider debuted on Sega Saturn. But due to Sony's PlayStation marketing blitz and insufficient installed userbase of Sega's ill-fated and expensive console, it floundered. However, the PlayStation and PC releases of Tomb Raider later that year were a huge success - the phenomenon was born.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 03:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[xeno]Julios wrote:
but seriously, why would someone actually pay money to play in such a castrated fashion?

i don't consider:

"OOOH coz it looks so cool and i can tell my friends about it"

a reason.

seriously - give me a detailed scenario where this game would bring you value.

You can't even strafe run or do flick shots...

They obviously can't let you pay for it, but it's just for fun. Like I had Quake 1 running on my PDA, just because I could. Like having Doom running on your iPod. Ludicrous, but it's possible, so why not.

Lara Croft on the PDA was quite playable with the large touchscreen buttons. But it wasted too much precious memory that I needed for my documents and PDA programs.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 03:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

is it point and shoot ?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 04:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh ok it's free software.

i just hope none of you would BUY a pocket pc just because you can play quake on it :p

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 04:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
is it point and shoot ?

Maybe you can use the stylus to point and shoot? Point, touch - frag!

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 05:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They have mice for pda/phones

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

saturn wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:
is it point and shoot ?

Maybe you can use the stylus to point and shoot? Point, touch - frag!

aye mun, be interesting to see your frag count if you play like that, me thinks

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[xeno]Julios wrote:
i still don't get it.

It's a fucking travesty.

i'm assuming no mouse, so that's a big strike

the product webpage itself says that multiplayer is almost non-functional

Quote:
Network support is obviously limited. Your Pocket PC likely doesn't have a very fast internet connection, so your ping times are going to be crap. Hell, it might not even work. Maybe in the next release...

So what is it good for?

it's a fucking gimmick.

If you read some of the quotes in the thread, you'd realise it's under active development and is being optimised more and more. Steady and playable FPS is capable with no bots, but due to the complexity of the AI it slows it down. Once he's worked on it a little more, it'll be faster, and you could play against bots. He might even overhaul the network code and make it playable over several pocketpcs.

it's not a fucking gimmick, it's a fucking work in progress. don't be stupid, julios :\

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh wow - i get to play quake3 against mindless bots on a 4 inch screen at 30 fps without a mouse.

fucking great...

name me one situation where that'd be fun please.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also it helps form and shift the concept of games, handheld power, portability, and numerous other technological themes which we all hold preconceptions of. This (along with thousands of other factors of course) will cause people to look at PDAs in a different and ever-more-accurate light.

It's a small pull towards more accurate perception of technology in society.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

k fair enough. Maybe if i was familiar with pocket PC's and all that gadgetry i'd appreciate this technological milestone.

alls i'm saying is that a game like quake should be given its due respect and played with a quality mouse, keyboard, display.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[xeno]Julios wrote:

on a bus.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

glossy wrote:
[xeno]Julios wrote:

on a bus.

seriously, how much replay value does playing with bots at 10-30 fps have with stunted visuals and controls?

seriously?

you're saying that you could see yourself playing this on an even somewhat regular basis and actually truly enjoy yourself?

i mean, if there were no other game on the planet, and the bus had no windows, and it was empty, and i was tied to my seat, then MAYBE i might consider trying it once for kicks...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.