Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        funny firewall hits

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: funny firewall hits

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 05:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

heh, i was cleaning out my safepeer.log file since it had gotten over 5 meg (havn't cleared it in months) ... so i'm scanning though and amid the gaggle of usual university and military base blockages (i don't support the troop's warez habbits) i see this one:

5 Nov 05 05:38:43 - INFO -> IP '195.182.77.139' in range 'office of the president of the republic of lithuania' has been blocked on 'Sat Nov 05 05:35:40 EST 2005' for torrent'

fucking gold. :olo:

saw some ones in there that make me happy i'm running it too.
multiple hits from sony and MPAA ip addresses. :icon14:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 09:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what firewall is this?

eepberries
eepberries
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 10:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
what firewall is this?

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 11:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is interesting. After reading your post I decided to check out my logs, since I never really do.

It seems that back in July and earlier I was getting a TON of trojan attempts from this address:
Code:
[16/Jul/2005 06:48:46]  "Ids" action = 'deny', raddr = '82.54.68.248', msg = 'BACKDOOR trojan active millenium', url = 'http://www.whitehats.com/info/IDS82', direc = 'in', class = 'successful-user', priority = high

Whitehats.com isn't serving web pages, so I did a WHOIS on the domain, and came up with this:

domain: WHITEHATS.COM
owner-name: Kimi Networks
owner-address: 73 Webster
owner-address: 94117
owner-address: San Francisco
owner-address: California
owner-address: United States of America
owner-phone: +1.4159990815
owner-e-mail: vision@whitehats.com

person: Max Vision
nic-hdl: MV303-GANDI
address: 73 Webster
address: 94117
address: San Francisco
address: California
address: United States of America
phone: +1.4159990815
e-mail: vision@whitehats.com
lastupdated: 2005-11-06 16:45:47

So for the hell of it I decided to Google the owner name, Kimi Networks. I wasn't expecting the very first hit to be this:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... N57003.DTL

Quote:
FBI Computer Expert Accused of Hacking

Henry K. Lee, Chronicle Staff Writer

Friday, March 24, 2000

Max Ray Butler seemed to be at the top of his game. For two years, the computer expert was a confidential source for an elite FBI computer crime squad, helping to ferret out scofflaws on the Internet.

Butler, also known as Max Vision, was also a self-described ``ethical hacker'' from the Silicon Valley who boasted that he could test the security of any computer system by penetrating it.

But Butler's cyber activity went too far, federal authorities say.

****SNIP****

In 1997, Butler started a company known as Max Vision in Mountain View, specializing in ``penetration testing'' and ``ethical hacking'' procedures in which he would simulate for clients how a hacker would penetrate their computer systems, according to the company Web site.

``Our client penetration rate is currently 100 percent,'' the site said, with recent clients including a large consortium of telecommunications companies, a major motion picture company and an e-commerce online auction service.

By 1998, Butler was living with Winters in a one-story San Jose apartment, where the couple started up their own Web-design company, Kimi Networks, records show. Reached by telephone yesterday, Winters hung up on a Chronicle reporter.

It was also from that apartment, according to the FBI, that Butler hacked into computers by using a computer software vulnerability known as a buffer overflow, which sends commands into a system that ordinarily would not be allowed.

Butler also allegedly invaded computers used by the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. Vern Paxson, a computer scientist at the lab, noticed an online intruder conducting unauthorized scans of laboratory and UC Berkeley computers in May 1998 and used a monitoring device that later helped identify the source of the intrusions.

WTF? So the guy was FBI, was busted in 2000, and was still trying to break into my PC in July of this year? :o!

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 11:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

After playing with my log and sorting it in Excel, I found 2,662 hits from that address, between March 24 and October19 this year.

He has tried several different trojans against me:

Vampire
Deltasource
hack99keylogger
ambush
netspy
theprayer1
schoolbus
millenium
devil103
sennaspy

Seriously, WTF?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 11:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He isn't trying to break in. Your security device is pointing to an old web site. He used to write IDS signatures and maintain a online security database before he get sent up. The device is pointing to his old informational web pages, which haven't been active in years.

The ip listed, 82.54.68.248, is the blocked ip. Its an italian dial-up address. Probably, just some kids playing around.

Last edited by pookie on 11-13-2005 11:36 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 11:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so what firewall is this so i can use it

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 11:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

they're onto you rook

canis
canis
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 11:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh Rook, that was me....my bad.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 11:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pookie wrote:
He isn't trying to break in. Your security device is pointing to an old web site. He used to write IDS signatures and maintain a online security database before he get sent up. The device is pointing to his old informational web pages, which haven't been active in years.

The ip listed, 82.54.68.248, is the blocked ip. Its an italian dial-up address. Probably, just some kids playing around.

Looking through the list, there are 33 different originating IP addresses - the one I posted was just the one I picked out to post.

But my firewall is associating all these IPs to the same website - why is that? Are all these viruses known to originate from that site or something? How does it determine the URL to reference?

edit: And all the IPs are from different locations, and on different providers. Just a few at random:

12-217-32-30.client.mchsi.com
146-115-126-199.c3-0.arl-ubr1.sbo-arl.ma.cable.rcn.com
ACABD34B.ipt.aol.com
qnet1.irc.demon.net
ircd.b0rk.co.uk
d198-53-131-248.abhsia.telus.net
207-237-218-173.c3-0.80w-ubr6.nyr-80w.ny.cable.rcn.com
208-59-117-196.c3-0.161-ubr1.lnh-161.md.cable.rcn.com
212-139-67-101.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com
cm164032.red.mundo-r.com

It's not like I was getting DDOS'd because there isn't a heavy enough volume of hits for that.

It looks like a bunch of script kiddies trying to hit my IP (among many others I'm sure) with these trojans - although I did notice two that look like IRC servers. But were all these trojans created by that guy's company or something?

Last edited by R00k on 11-13-2005 12:20 PM, edited 3 times in total.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 12:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Canis wrote:
Oh Rook, that was me....my bad.

I'll have to keep my eye on you. :icon6:

SoM wrote:
they're onto you rook

It's a trap!!!

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 12:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
so what firewall is this so i can use it

I don't know which one Watson is using, but I'm running Kerio Personal Firewall.

PostPosted: 11-13-2005 12:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks!

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 12:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

NP, I always recommend it to anybody who needs a software firewall, it's great. :icon14:

PostPosted: 11-13-2005 12:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If I have a router, does that have a built in firewall? Or should I use this in conjunction?

canis
canis
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 12:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Routers will protect your network from the internet, but there is always potential for things to get through the router's firewall. If that happens, then a firewall on your computer will protect you from your network.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 12:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You should use this in conjunction with the router.

I have a router, but all this stuff is getting blocked by my firewall, so it's getting past the router.

Routers aren't nearly as good at stopping intrusions as a firewall - unless you have a nice expensive one by Cisco or the like. They mainly just sort-of hide your PC, but most don't do any active blocking or packet filtering.

PostPosted: 11-13-2005 12:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's just a Lynksis with a Cisco label on the corner.....all the good routers are at work, and I don't have the slightest on how to work them anyways :D

canis
canis
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 01:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It wont hurt to install a software firewall. At most it may conflict with the built-in windows firewall, but you can fix this by turning off the windows firewall (its only a generic one anyway, with minimal features).

Approaching the singularity
Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 01:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

R00k wrote:

I have a router, but all this stuff is getting blocked by my firewall, so it's getting past the router.

Routers aren't nearly as good at stopping intrusions as a firewall - unless you have a nice expensive one by Cisco or the like. They mainly just sort-of hide your PC, but most don't do any active blocking or packet filtering.

On the other hand, how many |33t H4XX0rZ are interested in what you have on your computer?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 02:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:

Are all these viruses known to originate from that site or something? How does it determine the URL to reference?

The site is gone now, but was a very legit computer security site in 1999. The url is just a reference for your information. It is in the attack signature database, when triggered it prints the url as an fyi. Here is an example ruleset for an Network Intrusion Detection System (NIDS);

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 22 (msg:"EXPLOIT ssh CRC32 overflow /bin/sh"; flow:to_server,
established; content:"/bin/sh"; reference:bugtraq,2347; reference:cve,2001-0144; reference:cve,2001-05
72; classtype:shellcode-detect; sid:1324; rev:6;)

Basically what this says, is if the NIDS sees an external host attempt to connect to port 22 to any host on my network and sees a "/bin/sh" in the re-assembled stream, it should flag the traffic and
reference bugtraq id 2347 (among others). That is this exploit;

http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/2347

which I found by typing 2347 in the securityfocus search bar.

Whitehats is just an old informational site, which makes me think your firewall has an old, highly forked version of gnu gpl'ed software running on it. The Whitehats database was called arachnids and was referenced by snort and the dragon sensors. The latest reference to it I could find was one from 2000, asking if anyone had a copy of it.

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/ ... /0256.html

No one uses it anymore, they reference to bugtraq, Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE), or CERT, often all three.

Quote:
edit: And all the IPs are from different locations, and on different providers. Just a few at random:

It's not like I was getting DDOS'd because there isn't a heavy enough volume of hits for that.

It looks like a bunch of script kiddies trying to hit my IP (among many others I'm sure) with these trojans - although I did notice two that look like IRC servers. But were all these trojans created by that guy's company or something?

Some of these are false positives, some of them kids, but most are scanning bots. They scan machines in huge ip blocks pseudo-randomly usually looking for one open port. If the port reports back open, the bot launches an attack. Old attacks work because there will always be some machines running old unpatched software. Though these would be very long in the tooth.

These bots are common and in fact, if you look at the work the honeynet project has performed;

http://www.honeynet.org/

you will see that that most unpatched hosts last 5- 10 minutes on the internet. BTW, you will never see a url in an attack report only the ip, because performing dns lookups during a DDoS would close down your connection as well.

EDIT, I forgot to mention the most common means of controlling botnets is via irc. So don't be surprised that someone's irc server was compromised.

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 03:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
what firewall is this?

the firewall i'm using is on my OpenBSD web-proxy machine.
this is just from safepeer; torrent plugin for azureus... so the fuzz doesn't get all up in my shit for torrent activity.
so far its been pretty effective... only gotten one complaint to my ISP, and my isp was nice enough to forward me the email, complete with the address of the originator. So i looked up thier domain and added their entire block to the safepeer database. (some wacko 3rd party anti-piracy agency) so they won't be bothering too many people anymore.

I just think its funny when i see people trying to connect to me from zany locations. Its funny to see addresses for corporate networks trying to warez episodes of southpark at work too.
(the presedente of kuwaitt must have been trying to get "the new devil in miss jones" ... since i think thats the only thing i was seeding at the time)

PostPosted: 11-13-2005 03:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pookie wrote:
Quote:

Are all these viruses known to originate from that site or something? How does it determine the URL to reference?

The site is gone now, but was a very legit computer security site in 1999. The url is just a reference for your information. It is in the attack signature database, when triggered it prints the url as an fyi. Here is an example ruleset for an Network Intrusion Detection System (NIDS);

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 22 (msg:"EXPLOIT ssh CRC32 overflow /bin/sh"; flow:to_server,
established; content:"/bin/sh"; reference:bugtraq,2347; reference:cve,2001-0144; reference:cve,2001-05
72; classtype:shellcode-detect; sid:1324; rev:6;)

Basically what this says, is if the NIDS sees an external host attempt to connect to port 22 to any host on my network and sees a "/bin/sh" in the re-assembled stream, it should flag the traffic and
reference bugtraq id 2347 (among others). That is this exploit;

http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/2347

which I found by typing 2347 in the securityfocus search bar.

Whitehats is just an old informational site, which makes me think your firewall has an old, highly forked version of gnu gpl'ed software running on it. The Whitehats database was called arachnids and was referenced by snort and the dragon sensors. The latest reference to it I could find was one from 2000, asking if anyone had a copy of it.

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/ ... /0256.html

No one uses it anymore, they reference to bugtraq, Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE), or CERT, often all three.

Quote:

Some of these are false positives, some of them kids, but most are scanning bots. They scan machines in huge ip blocks pseudo-randomly usually looking for one open port. If the port reports back open, the bot launches an attack. Old attacks work because there will always be some machines running old unpatched software. Though these would be very long in the tooth.

These bots are common and in fact, if you look at the work the honeynet project has performed;

http://www.honeynet.org/

you will see that that most unpatched hosts last 5- 10 minutes on the internet. BTW, you will never see a url in an attack report only the ip, because performing dns lookups during a DDoS would close down your connection as well.

EDIT, I forgot to mention the most common means of controlling botnets is via irc. So don't be surprised that someone's irc server was compromised.

your new avatar: Image

orphan of war
orphan of war
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 03:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grudge wrote:
|33t H4XX0rZ

who even takes the time to type that any more? Welcome to Y2K.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 04:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
your new avatar: Image

LOL
:paranoid:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 05:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Protowall is a good one to. Its basically the same thing as the azureus plug in but runs independent. Pain in the ass to install and get going but theres lots of faqs to help.

http://www.bluetack.co.uk/index.php

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
If I have a router, does that have a built in firewall? Or should I use this in conjunction?

tech expert alert

PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

glossy wrote:
andyman wrote:

tech expert alert

notice the question marks

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 10:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Agent-X wrote:
Protowall is a good one to. Its basically the same thing as the azureus plug in but runs independent. Pain in the ass to install and get going but theres lots of faqs to help.

http://www.bluetack.co.uk/index.php

PeerGuardian 2.x is even better now. It only consumes like 1% of cpu and the ip ranges are updated daily. BTW, when you use torrents and what-not, the primary blocking domains from riaa and other companies are for stopping them for sending bad packets, ie., they do this on purpose and commonly on p2p. If you block their automated attempts at sending you bad pieces of the files you want the system will do less re-download attemps of those particular bits and pieces in the end.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 10:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
glossy wrote:
andyman wrote:

tech expert alert

notice the question marks

If you can connect to the configure page of your router, it will tell you in there what it supports. It probably does have a built-in firewall. In that case, use only that since these are lighter on resources than software firewalls (but might be a bit more difficult to configure right).

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 11:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grudge wrote:
R00k wrote:

On the other hand, how many |33t H4XX0rZ are interested in what you have on your computer?

no one. move along.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 11:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pookie owned this thread. nice post, man.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.