Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        So this PSN/Sony Hacker Drama...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: So this PSN/Sony Hacker Drama...

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 04-27-2011 02:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13192359

Quote:
Sony has warned users of its PlayStation Network that their personal information, including credit card details, may have been stolen.

The company said that the data might have fallen into the hands of an "unauthorised person" following a hacking attack on its online service.

Access to the network was suspended last Wednesday, but Sony has only now revealed details of what happened.

Users are being warned to look out for attempted telephone and e-mail scams.

Thank fuck I removed my credit card details from PSN a few months back. Epic security fail on Sonys part.

Anyway, if you're on PSN, you may want to ring your CC company and let them know whats happening. Oh and it goes without saying that if you share the PSN password on any other sites, change your damn password. As for the rest of your details, alas we're shit out of luck.

So Sony removes linux. Pisses off hacker community. System gets jailbreaked for the first time. Sony sues. Hackers now get all PSN user info. Sony gets a million lawsuits thrown at it. Pro.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 04-27-2011 02:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also, revealing this information almost a week after it happened is a fucking joke. Don't be surprised if the information has already been used to gain access to ebay/paypal/facebook/etc accounts...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-27-2011 02:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are you entirely sure that if you remove credit card details that it's actually completely removed from any and all databases over at Sony HQ? They may simply tag it with a "deleted" flag and keep the info in the database. That kind of shit happens and it sucks.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-27-2011 02:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:
Also, revealing this information almost a week after it happened is a fucking joke. Don't be surprised if the information has already been used to gain access to ebay/paypal/facebook/etc accounts...

Sony says they didn't know any earlier. They stated that they knew there was an intrusion last week so they shut the systems down so they could investigate. They didn't know until this week that account info was stolen as well.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... eal-timing

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-27-2011 02:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

its more than pathetic.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 04-27-2011 02:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
brisk wrote:

Sony says they didn't know any earlier. They stated that they knew there was an intrusion last week so they shut the systems down so they could investigate. They didn't know until this week that account info was stolen as well.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... eal-timing

Quote:
The official announcement comes only after Democratic Senator Richard Blumenthal publicly chastised Sony for it's slow response to the problem. It is also interesting to note that they waited until after the press conference for their soon-to-be-released PlayStation tablet and after the stock market has closed.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-27-2011 02:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 04-27-2011 02:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

boom headshot :olo:

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 04-27-2011 02:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Are you entirely sure that if you remove credit card details that it's actually completely removed from any and all databases over at Sony HQ? They may simply tag it with a "deleted" flag and keep the info in the database. That kind of shit happens and it sucks.

Well thankfully my CC has changed since I last used it on PSN anyway, so regardless i'm safe in this regard. Still, if they do flag it rather than actually delete it, we'll soon find out about it. Expect all of Sonys shady security failures to come to light very, very soon.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 04-27-2011 02:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yea I read about this on slashdot this morning and had ye olde credite carde cancelled earlier today :o

All I ever used it for was to buy Yoda in SC4.

Linux Version
Linux Version
PostPosted: 04-27-2011 02:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This was a company that knowingly installed rootkits on PCs just to play an audio disc.

If people are going to keep giving them money after they've shown how much they (don't) give a shit about user security, then those people are going to get burned.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-27-2011 03:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I best get home and check this...I'm positive my card has changed but I will check receipts for PSN loadings...!!!

Cheers B

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-27-2011 06:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ugh the PSN name I set up was on my parent's ps3 so hopefully I didn't use one of my normal passwords. Since it was a ps3 ID it would be one of my simple ones anyway but still. I'd be a bit more upset if I'd bought something on it.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 04-27-2011 07:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was actually ready to buy FFVII from PSN, just to play it one more time on a TV (Even though it works perfectly fine on my PSP). So maybe this is a good thing, it means I can have a bit more of a chance at having a life outside of the living room for a bit longer...

Wait... Whens DE:HR out again...?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-27-2011 11:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
lol consoles

Sorry to say so Memph, but you and trolling has never been a very successful combination.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-27-2011 11:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Made me lol a bit \o/ :paranoid:
fucking consoles :paranoid:
suck! :paranoid:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-27-2011 02:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Another interesting point which was brought up in an article I read about this fiasco was.... why the hell wasn't any of this data encrypted? I don't have anything Playstation related and I didn't even know what PSN was until this came about but I'm fuckin' glad I ain't part of this fuckfest. gg sony

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-28-2011 12:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mrd wrote:
Another interesting point which was brought up in an article I read about this fiasco was.... why the hell wasn't any of this data encrypted?

According to Sony credit card info was encrypted but other personal data, most likely including passwords, was not. This is kind of dumb IMO. That sort of data should always be encrypted.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... -encrypted

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-28-2011 05:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fucking Sony...

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 04-28-2011 05:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I got half way through OP's post when I saw he had his financial info ready and willing. Fool. Rest of this thread lost my interest.

*yawn*

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 04-28-2011 05:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:

Case in point. :disgust:

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 04-28-2011 05:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brusk... yer a moron.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 04-28-2011 05:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
Valued PlayStation(R)Network/Qriocity Customer:

We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011,
certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account
information was compromised in connection with an illegal and
unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this
intrusion, we have:

1) Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;

2) Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full
and complete investigation into what happened; and

3) Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our
network infrastructure by rebuilding our system to provide you
with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill
as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and
efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident,
we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following
information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country,
email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login,
and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data,
including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip),
and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may
have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your
dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have
been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit
card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have
provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity,
out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit
card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have
been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email,
telephone and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive
information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email,
asking for your credit card number, social security number or other
personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information,
you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation
Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that
you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation
Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or
accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we
encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and
to monitor your credit reports. We are providing the following information
for those who wish to consider it:
- U.S. residents are entitled under U.S. law to one free credit report annually
from each of the three major credit bureaus. To order your free credit report,
visit http://www.annualcreditreport.com or call toll-free (877) 322-8228.

- We have also provided names and contact information for the three major U.S.
credit bureaus below. At no charge, U.S. residents can have these credit bureaus
place a "fraud alert" on your file that alerts creditors to take additional steps
to verify your identity prior to granting credit in your name. This service can
make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name. Note, however,
that because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you,
it also may delay your ability to obtain credit while the agency verifies your
identity. As soon as one credit bureau confirms your fraud alert, the others
are notified to place fraud alerts on your file. Should you wish to place a
fraud alert, or should you have any questions regarding your credit report,
please contact any one of the agencies listed below:

Experian: 888-397-3742; http://www.experian.com; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013
Equifax: 800-525-6285; http://www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
TransUnion: 800-680-7289; http://www.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division,
P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790

- You may wish to visit the website of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission at
http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft or reach the FTC at 1-877-382-4357 or 600 Pennsylvania
Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580 for further information about how to protect
yourself from identity theft. Your state Attorney General may also have advice
on preventing identity theft, and you should report instances of known or
suspected identity theft to law enforcement, your State Attorney General,
and the FTC. For North Carolina residents, the Attorney General can be
contacted at 9001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-9001; telephone
(877) 566-7226; or http://www.ncdoj.gov. For Maryland residents, the Attorney
General can be contacted at 200 St. Paul Place, 16th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202;
telephone: (888) 743-0023; or http://www.oag.state.md.us.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this
incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the
clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes
information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that
additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information.
Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is
our utmost priority. Please contact us at 1-800-345-7669 should you have any
additional questions.

Sincerely,

Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Network Entertainment

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-28-2011 03:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
mrd wrote:
Another interesting point which was brought up in an article I read about this fiasco was.... why the hell wasn't any of this data encrypted?

According to Sony credit card info was encrypted but other personal data, most likely including passwords, was not. This is kind of dumb IMO. That sort of data should always be encrypted.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... -encrypted

"According to Sony" doesn't mean much ATM, heh. But yeah, it seems likely that the CC data would be encrypted if nothing else was. Personally I would rather someone had my fucking CC number than my full name and address and shit. The CC is easy to change compared to that stuff!

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-28-2011 07:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd rather my credit card information was stolen. I spoke with Chase earlier today and I was told that I could get a new card in my hands within 48 hours; all I had to do was say the word. :up:

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 04-28-2011 08:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think I read this in one of Sony's blog posts, but if you're concerned about the whole "identity theft" [i.e. fraud] angle, you can elect to have the credit agencies place higher security/authentication requirements on yourself. Unfortunately, that service isn't universally available.

Failing that, you can get a credit alert setup which basically means they'll get in touch with you whenever credit under your name is applied for. You should then be able to get it sorted out before much damage can be done.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-28-2011 08:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-28-2011 08:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cash monies

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 04-28-2011 09:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The hell kind of a name is Sapsford.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-28-2011 11:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the queen's

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-29-2011 02:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

consoles :olo:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-29-2011 03:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
consoles :olo:

Got a strange sense of déjà vu here

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-29-2011 03:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

U4EA wrote:
I think I read this in one of Sony's blog posts, but if you're concerned about the whole "identity theft" [i.e. fraud] angle, you can elect to have the credit agencies place higher security/authentication requirements on yourself. Unfortunately, that service isn't universally available.

Failing that, you can get a credit alert setup which basically means they'll get in touch with you whenever credit under your name is applied for. You should then be able to get it sorted out before much damage can be done.

It's part of bitWISE's post. I think I'll be doing that. :up:

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 04-29-2011 04:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
i'm too saintly and morally superior to pull it off with aplomb <3

If it makes you feel any better I lol'd at your original post.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 05-01-2011 04:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

New press release. The gist of it being:

o Phased Global Rollout of Services to Begin Regionally

o System Security Enhanced to Provide Greater Protection of Personal Information

o [..] expedited an already planned move of the system to a new data center in a different location that has [allegedly] been under construction and development for several months

o [..] forced system software update that will require all registered PlayStation Network users to change their account passwords before being able to sign into the service. As an added layer of security, that password can only be changed on the same PS3 in which that account was activated, or through validated email confirmation [..]

o Complimentary Offering and “Welcome Back” Appreciation Program
- Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.
- All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.
- Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.