Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        So this PSN/Sony Hacker Drama...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: So this PSN/Sony Hacker Drama...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-15-2011 06:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lets see how long it takes for it to be hacked again

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-15-2011 07:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wont be long...

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 05-15-2011 07:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Was reading DCEmu forums earlier and theres already talk of an exploit found... That doesn't mean that NETWORK is hacked again, but it does mean theres a possible backdoor to getting homebrew back...

The same thing happened with PSP ages ago. They kept making the system harder and harder to crack and then one day decided to re-write huge chunks to make it impossible for hackers, btu actually ended up adding more holes that could be exploited.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 05-15-2011 12:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shame the devs who work on the PS3 scene are egotisitical, shivering little pricks who refuse to release anything for the most part. Especially that french mong Math. I don't give a shit about piracy, I just want to be able to keep showtime, keep my emulators/FTP support and play the latest games.

Oh and not have all my personal info stolen. That'd be grand :up:

guru
guru
PostPosted: 05-15-2011 01:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

With the resources Sony has to throw at this, are the odds good that they will catch those involved you think?

I haven't followed the story beyond the basic headlines, but are they thinking this was an organized group of people or just one kid in his parents' basement?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-15-2011 01:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They're blaming the hacktivist group Anonymous for doing it, as they found a file called 'Anonymous' on their server containing the text 'We are legion' which apparently is Anonymous' slogan. However, Anonymous wrote back and claimed it wasn't them as they have never and would never encourage a breach for the sole purpose of netting CC data and other personal information. Kind of makes sense too, because if you look at all their other attacks (for lack of better word), they are all on things like servers for governments that are doing shitty things to their people (middle eastern countries) and that sort of thing. I don't think they have ever done something as simple as hacking a giant corporation just to steal data. They are usually doing it to push a human-rights or freedom of speech message. Sony has nothing to do with either of those, so my guess is that Sony just painted Anonymous red because they actually have no fucking idea who did it :olo:
Also, doubt it was one person but it is possible.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-15-2011 01:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

'Anonymous' have been saying for weeks they are nothing to do with it...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-15-2011 10:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Last week there was talk of the people doing this actually being related to Anonymous but the hack wasn't set up by anonymous as a whole.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-16-2011 04:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I don't think anything is set up by Anonymous as whole, being a de-centralized entity and all. I'd be willing to bet that some of the higher up dudes probably didn't want it or have anything to do with it but how would they ever stop or make sure that every other member doesn't participate in it? De-centralization works both ways.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-17-2011 04:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-17-2011 06:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mrd wrote:
Well I don't think anything is set up by Anonymous as whole, being a de-centralized entity and all. I'd be willing to bet that some of the higher up dudes probably didn't want it or have anything to do with it but how would they ever stop or make sure that every other member doesn't participate in it? De-centralization works both ways.

This sheds some light on the situation:
http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/barre ... oup-051611

It doesn't speak much of the PSN hack, but gives a little insight on the internal struggles of Anonymous.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-17-2011 09:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fyi: ctrl-alt-del isnt funny.
its a sliver above vgcats.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-17-2011 02:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Posting CAD and Penny Arcade strips should be a bannable offence.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-17-2011 03:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

penny arcade is mildly amusing, that cad shit is dumb as funk

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-17-2011 04:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

TIM BUCKLEY IS NOT FUNNY

how long for google to cache that you think

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-18-2011 06:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
fyi: ctrl-alt-del isnt funny.
its a sliver above vgcats.

I wasn't aware that it was supposed to be funny.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-18-2011 07:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-18-2011 07:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
'Anonymous' have been saying for weeks they are nothing to do with it...

I haven't read into it...but it seems to me that the whole point of being anonymous is that you're a part of a faceless mass that has no real set boundaries of what or who they are. By definition, shouldn't anonymous be anyone, at any point? The idea of an organized 'anonymous' almost seems like an impossibility strictly going from the definition.

MKJ wrote:

Wow.

Wow.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-18-2011 09:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:

lol christ

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-18-2011 11:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the Sony peeps must be getting tsunami flashbacks right about now :owned:

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 05-18-2011 04:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They're very touchy about it:

Quote:
We temporarily took down the PSN and Qriocity password reset page. Contrary to some reports, there was no hack involved. In the process of resetting of passwords there was a URL exploit that we have subsequently fixed.

Consumers who haven’t reset their passwords for PSN are still encouraged to do so directly on their PS3. Otherwise, they can continue to do so via the website as soon as we bring that site back up.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 05-24-2011 05:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sony suffers hacker attack in Canada

Hackers have breached a database at Sony Ericsson’s Eshop online store for mobile phones in Canada, extracting personal information of more than 2,000 customers.

Records including names, email addresses and encrypted passwords were taken by an outside party, the company said in a statement late Tuesday.

http://www.thestar.com/business/compani ... anada?bn=1

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-24-2011 07:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

UPDATE: Sony has been canceled

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 06-02-2011 04:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is almost getting too painful to watch >.<

Quote:
The hacker group LulzSec on Thursday posted information it took from Sony Entertainment and Sony BMG on its site, called the LulzBoat. Lulz Security said it broke into servers that run SonyPictures.com. The information includes about a million usernames and passwords of customers in the US, the Netherlands and Belgium and is available for download and posted on the group's site.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fas ... _blog.html

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-02-2011 04:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow... sony really riled up the hornets nest this time didn't they?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 06-02-2011 06:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:miffed:

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 06-02-2011 06:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
:miffed:
:olo:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-02-2011 09:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fuckin stupid.

pathetic

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 06-03-2011 05:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
Sony has been hit by a second massive data breach, hackers claim, another potential embarrassment for a company that is struggling to restore its image following the loss of tens of millions of credit card numbers through its PlayStation Network.

The hackers, who call themselves LulzSec, said they pulled off what they described as an elementary attack to highlight Sony's "disgraceful" security.

"Every bit of data we took wasn't encrypted. Sony stored over 1,000,000 passwords of its customers in plaintext, which means it's just a matter of taking it," LulzSec said in a statement. "They were asking for it."

Sony Pictures, a subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America, said Thursday it is aware of the LulzSec statement.

"We are looking into these claims," said Jim Kennedy, executive vice-president of global communications for Sony Pictures Entertainment.

The data — which includes passwords, email addresses, phone numbers, home addresses, dates of birth — was posted to the LulzSec website and appeared to be at least partially genuine.
The Associated Press called a number listed by LulzSec as belonging to 84-year-old Mary Tanning, a resident of Minnesota. Tanning picked up the phone, and confirmed the rest of the details listed by LulzSec — including her password, which she said she was changing.

"I don't panic," she told the AP, explaining that she was very seldom online and wasn't wealthy. "There's nothing that they can pick out of me," she joked.

Others phoned by the AP confirmed that their passwords had been stolen. One woman seemed distraught and said she was calling a relative who worked for the FBI. None of those contacted said that they'd heard from Sony about the apparent breach.

Sony Corp. is already is facing questions over why it did not inform consumers more quickly after a massive cyberattack in April targeted credit card information through its PlayStation Network and Sony Online Entertainment network, compromising more than 100 million user accounts.

At the time, experts warned the attack emboldened hackers and made them more willing to pursue sensitive information.

LulzSec recently claimed responsibility for hacking the website of the PBS television network to post a fake story in protest of a recent "Frontline" investigative news program on WikiLeaks.

For the past two days, the group has been mocking Sony via Twitter and alluding to a hacking operation.

Posts on the microblogging site through an account linked to the group at times chastise "silly Sony" and "You Sony morons," saying "everything we have will be published in multiple ways to ensure maximum embarrassment and exposure for (Sony) and their security flaws."

http://www.thestar.com/business/article ... urity?bn=1

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 06-03-2011 06:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
Others phoned by the AP confirmed that their passwords had been stolen... None of those contacted said that they'd heard from Sony about the apparent breach.

TBH...if it wasn't for this glaring fact, I'd actually feel sorry for Sony.

But I don't because Sony's only real concern in all this is their stock price...they obviously don't care enough about their customers to at even warn them. :down:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 06-03-2011 06:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm never buying Sony shit again. Fuck PlayStation in its goatass.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 06-03-2011 09:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Weird, this doesn't happen on my PC or Xbox 360.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 12:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

heh

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 03:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PlayStation Store is finally up. Managed to snag my free games as well between all the errors. System's getting hammered.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 04:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GOnna grab my 2 as well...Wipeout and summat else...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.