Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        UK Snap Election

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: UK Snap Election

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 05-18-2017 10:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-19-2017 07:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:
Once shit settles down it'll be back to normal service.

oh, my sweet summer child. there is no 'normal service' from here. this is the age of chaos.

It's been worse before

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-19-2017 02:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is anyone happy with their choices? I'm not, not by a long stretch.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-19-2017 11:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^ also, his dad was into mass surveillance, just like the tories

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-20-2017 12:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:

Nope - one of, if not the weakest line ups I've eligable to vote for

May was out as soon as she mentioned fox hunting but added on a load of extra shit
Corbyn is coming across better and his reversal on Trident was welcome but Diane Abbot is a fucking cock end
Tim Farron...just a bit of a damp squib really though legalising canabis would be brilliant for the country
Greens - lol
Plaid can fuck off. They are a bigger threat to the Welsh than the English.
UKIP - LOL

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-20-2017 12:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:

I'm not going to lie, I'm happy with Labour and Corbyn.

And that makes this harder to accept for people reading this next bit:
No matter what we like to think, we live under a two-party system in the UK. Voting any way but for one of the two major parties is equivalent to not voting at all.
So if you want to get rid of May and the Tories, the only way to vote is Labour.

Of course, ideally I'd like to see party politics die a death, and for members of parliament to be elected purely based on what they can do for their constituents. But like everything else these days, politics has become a business, and political parties are essentially corporations.

That and the general public seem to collectively be too stupid to be relied upon to make sensible decisions in the absence of party politics.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-20-2017 12:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And your thoughts on Abbot?

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-20-2017 12:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, she's a numpty they shouldn't let speak in public, but judging an entire party and its manifesto on the idiocy of one representative is exactly the sort of stupidity I'm talking about in that last line.

It displays a susceptibility to media maniopulation that the Tories must be loving. They're doing far worse shit in the background than making a few ill-advised comments, yet every time people are convinced by the mainstream press to focus on bullshit like that, they're howling with laughter.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-20-2017 08:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
we live under a two-party system in the UK

incorrect

Mat Linnett wrote:
Voting any way but for one of the two major parties is equivalent to not voting at all.

not where i live it isn't brosephine

(Tory seat, Lib Dems the only serious challenger)

also, press F to pay respects to Diane Abbott's career. she is a fucking tool

Last edited by seremtan on 05-20-2017 08:10 AM, edited 3 times in total.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-20-2017 09:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
incorrect

And when's the last time we had a third party have any significant impact on what passes through parliament?

Here's the current breakdown of seats in the UK:
Conservative 330
Labour 229
Liberal Democrat 9
Democratic Unionist 8
Scottish National 54
Independent 4
Sinn Féin 4
Plaid Cymru 3
Social Democratic & Labour Party 3
Ulster Unionist Party 2
UK Independence Party 1
Green 1
Vacant 1
Speaker 1

Sure looks like no other cunt has a significant say in what goes through parliament to me.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-20-2017 10:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

did you forget the coalition govt we had between 2010 and 2015?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-20-2017 10:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:

As he said...

Mat Linnett wrote:
seremtan wrote:
incorrect

And when's the last time we had a third party have any significant impact on what passes through parliament?

Also any opposition to the Torys at that time required Labour backing and why Mays trying to consolidate all her votes now.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-20-2017 11:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:

Fucking :olo:

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 05-20-2017 12:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I agree. Corbyn is looking better and better by the minute.

The bits in the Tory manifesto about internet legislation were particularly scary.

Edit: oh Eraser made a thread about it.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-20-2017 11:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the bits in Corb's manifesto about press legislation don't look too unscary either. seems whoever you vote for, they hate freedom

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 05-21-2017 01:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can hardly blame him after the media witch hunt he's had to withstand

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-21-2017 03:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:

The bits in the Tory manifesto about internet legislation were particularly scary.

:up: :up: :up:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-21-2017 09:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
You can hardly blame him after the media witch hunt he's had to withstand

it's called a free press, bro. it may not be pretty, but it's better than the one they have in China :dts:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-21-2017 09:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
wtf kinda strat is this?

*pic*

:|

Trump was a product of the Electoral College, Brexit was tight right to the end, Miliband's decision to change the party leadership election rules left Labour wide open to 'entryism'

none of those things apply to the general election. ergo it's bollocks

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 05-21-2017 09:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
wtf kinda strat is this?

[/lvlshot]

It's that anti or pro Corbyn? :|

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 05-22-2017 08:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Labour overtook Tory in Welsh opinion polls today :!:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-22-2017 08:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lollerskates

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-22-2017 09:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
Labour overtook Tory in Welsh opinion polls today :!:

Good :up:

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-22-2017 10:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:

Im voting labour but hoping the whole front bench are sent to Coventry in the first six months.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 05-22-2017 01:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That interview was so cringe. A couple of times the façade started to slip. Like the skin suit in Independence Day.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-25-2017 10:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

looks like all the voters who defected from Labour to UKIP are defecting back again

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-26-2017 12:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm thinking Corbyn is about to shit the bed with today's speech:(

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 05-26-2017 03:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hopefully all the Lib. Dem and Green voters join with Labour given their unlikely to win. Tactical voting looks like the only way to win.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-27-2017 06:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
nightmare scenario of the future: "we now go over live to the white house for a joint press conference with president trump and prime minister corbyn..."

:dts:

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 05-28-2017 12:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nothing signals strong and stable like sending Amber Rudd on a live debate instead of your elected leader :up:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-28-2017 03:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Amber Rudd v Diane Abbott

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-28-2017 02:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
Amber Rudd v Diane Abbott

:olo:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-28-2017 11:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

olo

Cobalt Adrenaline
Cobalt Adrenaline
PostPosted: 05-29-2017 10:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Read through the thread from the beginning. I find this election fascinating.

I think Corbyn is the one true chance at derailing the established system of capitalism, which has tipped so far in favour of the top that the bottom is now beginning to crumble away. You only need to walk around the streets of Manchester to see the sharp rise in homelessness in the last 5 years. Murdock and Co, with their hate campaign on Jezzer have further added fuel to the fire of the Tin Foil Hat brigade and the paranoia has now entered the mainstream. Anti-establishment round 3 as been ignited!

I think he's got a good shot. I hope he's half decent as a PM as he has been as the Challenger (it's a lot harder at the top), and I'm glad he's wearing a decent suit now. Do I think he's "The New Hope", the saviour to fix our nation... not completely. But I think he can be the catalyst of some much needed change which will result in an improved system for everyone.

I picture this whole thing as a really slow moving pendulum. We want the pendulum to rest in the middle, but it's been swinging towards the right for a long long time. It needs someone with some serious left thrust to bring it towards the centre again, and Corbyn and his rapid renationalisation plans is just that. He'll over shoot the mark and we'll end up overly left, and will need someone a little more right to correct that later, but he's what we need today. May will destroy everything if she's elected in.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 05-31-2017 11:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've not seen the last half hour, but the first hour involved a huge amount of Conservatives ownage :o.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.